BORDER MODEL PZ.KPFW IV Ausf G with Schürzen.

Afternoon all. Thought I'd post this one even though I'm well into it by now. I have no images of the build process as it literally fell together, and I can only say this new Border Model company knows what it's doing. Really nice kit.....beautiful detail, and plenty of brass parts and a turned barrel. I have no complaints at all about fit, instructions.....a double thumbs up. I hope to pick up more as they add to their range....this being their very first issue.

Well here it is this morning. I have the base coat on with a modulation leaning on keeping it very light.....a tad more than usual in this experiment to keep it light and and more visually interesting once all the layers of weathering are added.

hIu8r1s.jpg

JYkQSfO.jpg

Uk6uA0A.jpg

Nxr2FMm.jpg

Next steps being camo' and then filters.

Cheers all...:yes:

• Like 12

It is looking really appealIng.  I like their kits from what I saw until now and they are adding to their range.

The modulation looks effective. But some speckleing is noticeable. Will that go away during weathering? 

Edited by Soeren
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, vaoinas said:

Looking very good!

Wonder how the Bordermodels Pz.IV compares to Dragon Pz.IV kits.

For me so far, I'd say the fit is as good and tight as Tamiya and detail as crisp as the three Dragon kits that I've built to date.........and for the price of £25....not a bad deal.

3 hours ago, Soeren said:

It is looking really appealIng.  I lime their kits from what I saw until now and they are adding to their range.

The modulation looks effective. But some speckleing is noticeable. Will that go away during weathering? 

Yeah, I'd put Border up there with the new companies like Takom (some believe Takom is behind Border in some form) and Meng and certainly equal as I said to Tamiya fit and Dragon detail.

As regards the speckle Soeren.....that's intentional. I'm not a big lover of super smooth paint or colour as nothing really is "smooth" on armour, well maybe the vision blocks :D....and yes, once you filter and a layer of wash or two, it all blends to give the surface IMO; a more realistic combat look and sheen. Overall, the modulation will be toned down a good 50% by the time she's finished.

Cheers both

Simon....:yes:

Edited by Redcoat2966

Hi Simon, looking good, I would agree with you re choice of schemes too.

Nice to know the kit/manufacturer is a good one. Considering it was the work horse (tank wise at least) of the Third Reich I struggle to get enthused by it, unless it's a Ostwind or Wirbelwind anyway. No idea why the antiaircraft variants seem more appealing!:shrug:

I'm sure I've seen a new Meng panzer III advertised from one of the Chinese retailers, btw.

Regardless,  I shall enjoy following your build.

Cheers 

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Afternoon everyone. Decided to change tack and move over back on the Panzer IV. Not a big leap forward, but the camo' lines are down and all main running gear painted.

jBAktpH.jpg

There is the additional turret armour still to look at....that's next.

RCHtwLt.jpg

uWs78ZT.jpg

• Like 12

I'd forgotten all about this one Simon,  lovely bit of airbrushing, I really need to practice more. For that matter need to model more ..... where does the time go :hmmm:

Atb

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ernst said:

Looks great, these border models panzer iv's are quite promising.

Cheers,

Ernst

17 hours ago, Hamden said:

Very nice result

Stay safe   Roger

3 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

I'd forgotten all about this one Simon,  lovely bit of airbrushing, I really need to practice more. For that matter need to model more ..... where does the time go :hmmm:

Atb

Darryl 

2 hours ago, robw_uk said:

very nice - am in awe of painting like this.....

Cheers guy's thanks for the thumbs up......I wanted to do something different than the standard 3 tone camo' scheme. I'm just finishing the marking with my stencils and some kit supplied regiment symbols, etc and then a filter for Dunkelgelb.......

......and yes Ernst, I myself like Border Models a lot. Really nice kits, on par with Tamiya for sharpness and ease of build.

Thanks again chap's...hopefully post some more this afternoon

Simon.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Afternoon everyone.....change of subject for a rest from the Marder III....

..update so far. All weathering and chipping done above the fender line......:D Decided on not doing the usual "chipping" method of light base filled in with dark rust. I did a lot of reading and studying of archive pic, and to be honest I didn't see a massive amount of those types of chipping wear....unless where there was a heavy rust area on thin steel parts. On armour very fine and more like a "haze".....anyway...

I took this shot this morning before I added some additional parts. I did less chipping and scratch on hatches as they would be open and only did were the "Grease Monkey" would work on engine and transmission.

3CvkAV0.jpg

Here's where she stood by when I decided to call it a day and look to planning dinner.....the side armour is still in painting stage. I'm deciding on doing some panels as original and maybe two or three taken from another Panzer IV in haste to replace lost panels in battle. The only decal is the unit emblem on upper additional armour, the rest are masked and sprayed....including the 3rd Panzer division emblem next to the drivers port.

3PA28eS.jpg

Funny thing with the Border kit. They didn't do a leather head pad on the main commanders hatch....so had to build that this morning from sheet styrene. The hatch still has to be chipped and pin lined and still need to add the three spare links on the fender beneath the arial.

WAzQXsh.jpg

OEH0aA2.jpg

Still need to add the bow MG and the "S" hooks on the near front fender. 

JenJun3.jpg

K5r1TqP.jpg

I need to get a thin layer of mud etc on the lower chassis. Not too much as up until the heavy rain mid battle, just a dusty dry Steppe battle field at Kursk.

Hope to do some more this afternoon, if not; then tomorrow is another day..

Cheers all

Simon.

• Like 13

9 minutes ago, Soeren said:

Looks fantastisch and I agree  with you about the chipping. Still that dual tone chipping adds alot of interest .

Cheers Soeren, raw edge base colour and rust  in the locations.

👍

looks good to me... the chipping/not-chipping looks good to me. I would perhaps have a bit of rust on the side skirts as I would think they would get damaged (especially the ones liberated form a knocked out vehicle)

• Thanks 1

That weathering is spot on Simon.....really beautifully done, can't wait to see the rest of the build, are you doing the full schurzen or keeping the lower naked?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, robw_uk said:

looks good to me... the chipping/not-chipping looks good to me. I would perhaps have a bit of rust on the side skirts as I would think they would get damaged (especially the ones liberated form a knocked out vehicle)

Thanks Rob......:yes:, and yes, when done I'm aiming to have the salvaged one's a little worn and maybe show some damage that knocked out the previous owner.

4 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

That weathering is spot on Simon.....really beautifully done, can't wait to see the rest of the build, are you doing the full schurzen or keeping the lower naked?

Cheers M3, glad you like and for a big thumbs up..:yes:...and no, a nearly full compliment of schurzen; some from a donor vehicle. Hope to have that done by end of next week.

Thanks again chaps

• Like 1

Great job so far Simon. I have a Border Model version of this that I plan to build soon.

I like the chipping. I switched to this method some time ago and I am using it almost exclusively now... even though "dual color" chipping looks great, it's a bit unrealistic for this scale, at least IMO

Will definitely follow this.

Cheers,

Nenad

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nenad Ilijic said:

Great job so far Simon. I have a Border Model version of this that I plan to build soon.

I like the chipping. I switched to this method some time ago and I am using it almost exclusively now... even though "dual color" chipping looks great, it's a bit unrealistic for this scale, at least IMO

Will definitely follow this.

Cheers,

Nenad

Cheers Nenad....:yes:. I do now, or have decided from this point on to limit the dual chipping method -UNLESS -  required. Like I said above, where something is badly bent, like a mud guard or fender, there you'd have visible "new" unweathered paint; along side the developing rust beneath. But areas of wear, i.e. where the crew climbed aboard or mechanics work area, or around hatches in general would IMO too, have a haze of fine rusted scratches. Clean paint would be also where for example the commander constantly rubbed it clean with his hands, but not down to the steel.

And I also agree at 1;35. it needs to be limited.....great for 1:16

Thanks again mate.....

Regards

Simon

A beautiful build so far, I'll follow along to completion if you don't mind. I was inspired to check out Border to see what else they did and had the massive good fortune to pick up a Leopard 2 for 1/3 off minutes before Hannants stopped the offer, so cheers for that too :)

Andy

• Thanks 1