Moebius 2020 release schedule

This is fantastic news!

I bought the Captain Cardboard/Atomic City 15" Aries several years ago and have given up on ever getting the kit shipped. His production has dropped to pretty much zero and owes many kits to many people ahead of me. He makes some fantastic kits (I have his large Space Pod, one of the finest garage kits I have ever seen).

No idea what the Moebius kit will be but this is a grail kit for me

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Richard Baker said:

This is fantastic news!

I bought the Captain Cardboard/Atomic City 15" Aries several years ago and have given up on ever getting the kit shipped. His production has dropped to pretty much zero and owes many kits to many people ahead of me. He makes some fantastic kits (I have his large Space Pod, one of the finest garage kits I have ever seen).

No idea what the Moebius kit will be but this is a grail kit for me

Pretty much yours truly story too. The good Captain owes me the large Aries, large Moonbus, large Orion and Command Module for the Discovery. I was forunate and mangaged to snag AJA's large (1/48) Aries with interior, that is still in the pending pile. I didn't know at the time that was a grab it see it purchase, so I'm pleased about that.

I agree the Aries is the jewel in the crown of that release schedule.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 1

Still have Scott's Pod and smaller Aries; he owes me a big Aries as well.  At least Moebius will deliver, hopefully, a large scale Aries.  Al  I can say is happy days :)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

A sneek preview of the new up and coming smaller scale  (1:350) XD-1 from Moebius on Cult's site.

https://culttvman.com/main/moebius-news-discovery-1350-scale-box-and-photos/?fbclid=IwAR0POBewk9-8_15DUVA1PtFcnJ9SZR6iC7bky5FhTjtrVSc5E4LyGaHg5zU

Tommo.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Looking at the MOEBIUS website, models disappear from the list fairly quickly, you have to buy up what you want as soon as it appears, Made in China, like all things made there, production time for an injection mould , packing and boxing etc is scheduled. so re-runs are had to schedule not knowing demand. After 50 years, MOEBIUS is  the only  polystyrene kit maker for 2001 models. The earleir  attempts Luna Models etc, are not in the same league. 

Sadly,  kits sometimes  re-appear on FleaBay at inflated prices, not from modlers, but perhaps speculators.

I have the Discovery 1/44, to make,  Moonbus and  Space pod 1/8 to make.

The pod is on the workbench now. paid £199 for it, added the Tenamodels lighting kit as well. 

The pod  has VERY  good fit and close to the movie I think.  The plastic is quite soft and crisply moulded.

Also using an ARDUINO to flicker the 6 displays. Masking and painting the lights inside is taking a lot of the build time and effort bt this lockdown gives loads of time....  ARDUINO can be made to flicker start/stop about 9 LED's . This will be visible through the door and perhaps the front window. In the move, none of thePod  Honeywell press-button switches flicker, some go off/on  when pressed by the actors.

Only error  found so far is the larger oval front window is flat on the movie props, but curved on the model. I intend to replace with a very thin plastic as the supplied one is also too thick.  

(Stepping through the movie  as the pod turns round to menace Poole, there is glint from some set lights, (which would not happen in outer space), this shows it is flat.

Havent decided yet weather to fit the boards inside or have a cable out to the electrics. Kit will look good on a rotating stand inside an acrylic case with black surrounds on two sides. 

The Discovery has been reported as  the model copy of the move 2010. Any ideas about that? Havent scrutinized the kit that far yet. 

The Moonbus is the 1/55 Aurora kit , whic I made way back in the 1970s but I gave away after i finished it. 

a 1/8  Spacesuited figure for the pod would be F A N T A S T I C! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/12/2020 at 12:47, oldmodeler said:

Looking at the MOEBIUS website, models disappear from the list fairly quickly, you have to buy up what you want as soon as it appears, Made in China, like all things made there, production time for an injection mould , packing and boxing etc is scheduled. so re-runs are had to schedule not knowing demand. After 50 years, MOEBIUS is  the only  polystyrene kit maker for 2001 models. The earleir  attempts Luna Models etc, are not in the same league.

Moebius certainly understand thier target market and demographic very well indeed, they most definately don't have the same business model as say Revell or Airfix.

The Discovery has been reported as  the model copy of the move 2010. Any ideas about that? Havent scrutinized the kit that far yet. 

Highly likely as that filming miniature is extant.

a 1/8  Spacesuited figure for the pod would be F A N T A S T I C!

I snagged an absolutely fab one from Shapeways, costly but utterly and totally sublime!

Tommo.

TomahawkKit,

Are you making the 1/8 MOEBIUS pod?

I am attempting to light the interior, and use a TENNA lighting kit. 

But there are real problems,  Making small light boxes to hold the led strips about 5-10 mm away from the model to more evenly light the  switches. 

I covered the entire panel set in silver paper to stop light bleeding elsewhere. 

TRANSFERS !! 
Thsees just fell apart when I tried to slide in place, (And I am very experienced at this). So, I am attempting to glue the tranfer,  still on its backing paper on to the consoles, as at least I get then in place. 

I wanted the displays  to flicker, so I  experimented with an Arduino computer to make patterns of light, then i borought   a 1in display that is 128/64 to put behind the  display sreens, the screens are too thick, replaced with fine coluored film, looks very neat, but has expanded the amount of work massively. HAd to program the ARDUINO in 'c' program language and se a U8G2 function library to write a program that displays lines and graphs like in the move. 

Now  only using the led strips from the TENA kit, not the switching controller. so far.

Please let me know your ideas about  assembly.

@oldmodeler

Yes, I have the Moebuis 1/8 EVA pod, I have had it a while but not made a start on it yet and another yes I do intend to light it. It looks however, I'm taking a different route than you. The aftermarket ancillaries I have bought for it so far are:

- The Yay! Monsters backlight  translight filmkit! https://www.yaymonsters.com/shop/evapodtranslight/

- The Yay! Monsters  light blocking vinyl set https://www.yaymonsters.com/shop/eva-vinyls/

- The Yay! Monsters acrylic support and LED support kit https://www.yaymonsters.com/shop/evasupport/ 

- Voodoofx lighting kit http://www.voodoofx.com/product/2001-eva-pod-lighting-kit/

- Shapeways 1/8 seated Bowman figure https://www.shapeways.com/product/Y66XNFSD8/sf-astronauts-figure-kit-moebius-eva-pod?optionId=96195441&li=marketplace

Paragrafix make a 1/8 translight kit too, or most likely its the same one marketed by Yay! Monsters.

I await your progress with baited breath.

Its the Moebius Boeing Aries 1-B I'm patiently waiting for, no doubt well delayed now!

Tommo.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Greg B locked this topic