Big News from Moebius: 2001 Aries 1B and Small scale Discovery

The Tomohawk Kid

CultTVman has announced an ambitious release schedule by Moebius including a large scale Aries 1B, a smaller version of their 1/144 scale Discovery and 2001 Astronaut to fit their large scale pod, plus some other goodies. This means all the principal hardware from 2001 is available as IM kits, wonders never cease!

https://culttvman.com/main/big-news-from-moebius-models/

-1953 Hudson Hornett reissue 2nd quarter 2020.

-Batgirl 1966 – Finally an official announcement! Due in 4th quarter, price TBA.

-2001 Astronaut – 1:8 scale figure that can be displayed by itself or inside the Space Pod. 2nd quarter, price TBA.

-2001 Aries 1B – scale and size TBA, but likely a large kit. Expected 1st quarter 2021. Price TBA.

-2001 Discovery 1:350 scale – smaller version of the Discovery. Scheduled for 3rd quarter 2020. Price TBA.

-Wonder Woman slips to 2nd quarter 2020.

-1966 Ford Custom Cab F-100 4 x 4 for 2nd quarter 2020.

-1967 Ford F-100 Service Bed pickup for 2nd quarter 2020.

-48 foot cambered trailer – previously announced 2nd quarter 2020.

-1953 Hudson Hornett reissue 2nd quarter 2020.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 2

Oh great, that's all I need - yet more temptation. The price of the 1/144 Discovery One was eye-watering, but the 1/350 version might be within my price tolerances.

Or maybe I should just hold out for the 1/72 version, which would be well over 6 ft (1.8m) long 😛

Edited by klr
  • Haha 1

The Boeing Aries 1B has got to be the jewel in the crown in that release schedule. It will be interesting to see how Moebius swing with it? Will be as their 1/8 scale pod and have an interior or like the Discovery sans interior (my money is on the former) and what scale  will it be,1/48 or 1/32? 

Tommo.

30 minutes ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

The Boeing Aries 1B has got to be the jewel in the crown in that release schedule. It will be interesting to see how Moebius swing with it? Will be as their 1/8 scale pod and have an interior or like the Discovery sans interior (my money is on the former) and what scale  will it be,1/48 or 1/32? 

Tommo.

Here's a link to the Stargazer Models 1/144th kit: https://www.planet3earth.co.uk/2001 Aries 1B.htm

In the description, it says that the Aries 1B was 40ft in diameter. That seems doable in 1/48th scale, but it will be really massive in 1/32 (3.375 times more volume). It will be interesting.

30 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

Here's a link to the Stargazer Models 1/144th kit: https://www.planet3earth.co.uk/2001 Aries 1B.htm

In the description, it says that the Aries 1B was 40ft in diameter. That seems doable in 1/48th scale, but it will be really massive in 1/32 (3.375 times more volume). It will be interesting.

AJA released a Boeing Aries 1B in 1/48 that weighed in with a diameter of 330mm, Atomic City/Captain Cardboard made or didn't make depending on your personal expierance  a 1/32 Aries that had a diameter of just under 400mm.  The Moebuis 1/8 EVA pod largest mesaurement was 450mm.  Given that I can see Moebius going for either scale. However, there was feedback from a vocal minority that said their EVA Pod was too big, will they take any notice? Given they like there large models, thier Flying Sub is 350 x 350 and their Discovery and Seaview kits were over a metre long, which way will they swing given they are clearly not afraid of large kits?

Tommo.

22 minutes ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

AJA released a Boeing Aries 1B in 1/48 that weighed in with a diameter of 330mm, Atomic City/Captain Cardboard made or didn't make depending on your personal expierance  a 1/32 Aries that had a diameter of just under 400mm.  The Moebuis 1/8 EVA pod largest mesaurement was 450mm.  Given that I can see Moebius going for either scale. However, there was feedback from a vocal minority that said their EVA Pod was too big, will they take any notice? Given they like there large models, thier Flying Sub is 350 x 350 and their Discovery and Seaview kits were over a metre long, which way will they swing given they are clearly not afraid of large kits?

Tommo.

40 ft works out to 254mm in 1/48 scale and 381mm in 1/32. That seems to make the Atomic City dimensions about right but the AJA oversized unless that 330mm represents the distance across the landing pads.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

40 ft works out to 254mm in 1/48 scale and 381mm in 1/32. That seems to make the Atomic City dimensions about right but the AJA oversized unless that 330mm represents the distance across the landing pads.

Your taking Ian's 40ft as being gospel, whilst I absolutely respect his work - that small scale Aries is not his best in my opinion. Conversely, his accurate Moonbus interior is beyond reproach and is superlative. My go to guy in this case would be Adam Johnson (AJA). Scott is good too, albeit his reputation is somewhat tarnished because of the none delivery of kits however, he is knowledgeable and did a lot of uncovering of detail and sizing in the pre BD and 4K world. 

The game changer however, is since all those kits were produced the original filming miniature has come to light, I fully expect that Moebius have had or will have access to it. I also hope as with all of their other 2001 projects they will engage Adam Johnson as well, - if they do all of that all bodes well.

This is somewhat of a digression, as Moebius from their track record are clearly not afraid of producing very large kits and I would absolutely not rule out a 1/32 kit, the market may however be more sympathetic to a 1/48 one. Whatever scale they chose I for one hope they go for an interior as well, but I fully expect they will leave that to the aftermarket chaps and chapesses.

Tommo

• 6 months later...

A sneek preview of the new up and coming smaller scale  (1:350) XD-1 from Moebius on Cult's site.

https://culttvman.com/main/moebius-news-discovery-1350-scale-box-and-photos/?fbclid=IwAR0POBewk9-8_15DUVA1PtFcnJ9SZR6iC7bky5FhTjtrVSc5E4LyGaHg5zU

Tommo.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The 1/1350 XD-1 Discovery is now available, Cult has the the best price @ $59 (plus shipping) It is also available from other stockists and vendors - Price from a UK outlet is anticipated at circa £80, when it lands.

https://www.culttvmanshop.com/NEW-2001-Discovery--1350-scale-from-Moebius-Models_p_5045.html

Tommo.

• 9 months later...