Gliders and tugs GB ? 1 more needed .At 31 now !!.

Erwin

I've got a Waco I built some while ago.. the cockpit from the kit is just some sort of general purpose one fits all job, very poor. I'd just bought my 1st digital camera and we were going camping to Normandy! Lucky eh? If I can rescue it from my cabinet I'll re-attach the new one I made. I've got a little Novo Hotspur too that might be buildable. It looks a bit basic.......

• Like 1

'evening chaps, I wonder if anyone has any pictures of the inside of a Hotspur cockpit? I always try to spruce up the seats particularly. There seem to be a few pics of the instrument panel and one photo I can find from LH rear showing the back of the pilot with an instructor (I presume) looking in, but not much else. Any guidance greatly appreciated, many thanks JD

2 hours ago, Aeronut said:

I can supply AP diagrams of the Hotspur, Horsa and Hamilcar cabins and cockpits on request

Thanks Aeronut, that'd be great. Any basic cockpit details would help, hopefully if not too much trouble. I'll try to do that bit justice at least. I'll post some pics of my Waco cockpit when I can remember how! Kindest regards JD

One more vote from me.

As it so happens, I bought an RS Models DFS 230 only last week. I also have the Italeri Horsa and Hadrian in the stash. I did build the Horsa back in the mists of time, but never the Hadrian.

I also have the Italeri Go 242/244, but that would only count if I built it as the Go 242, unless the criteria were to be expanded to include gliders converted to powered aircraft. If that were the case, the Italeri Me 323 would also be in. I also built that way back, and it was an ... interesting experience.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, klr said:

unless the criteria were to be expanded to include gliders converted to powered aircraft. If that were the case, the Italeri Me 323 would also be in. I also built that way back, and it was an ... interesting experience.

Hello,

That's a good idea.

Let's include that too.

• Like 1

Does any one make a model of an American Champion Citabria ? That was the type that tugged me up on all my Glider flights in the 80’s & 90’s. If there is a kit of these Id be up to joining in the fun ? It was a two seat glider but not exactly sure of the type, possibly one of these. 
https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:SCHLEICHER_ASK_21_vr.jpg#mw-jump-to-license

Maybe I could also build one of them. 

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:SchweizerSGS1-34C-FDUZ31.JPG#mw-jump-to-license

Either way as a dual build, or just one or the other count me in. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How did I miss this one?

I've got the components for making a glider field diorama - a Cessna Bird Dog, Blanik L13 (with full photoetch interior), glider club building, control tower and a PC-6 parachute club plane off to one side too.

By the time this GB came around I might actually feel up for building it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

Does a Space Shuttle or Me163 count as a glider?

Asking for a friend...

IanJ

The 163 is a rocket-fighter.It glides back to the ground.But that doesn't make it a glider.

Also,it doesn't need to be tugged.

The Shuttle has engines from the start of the design.

It didn't start live as a glider with engines added later.

Or was there ever a Shuttle without engines ? Then it's OK

I would have to say NO to both.Unless another member has a different point of view.

Edited by Erwin
  • Like 1

I'm adding an extra guideline to this GB.

It can be hard to prove the markings of a certain plane (example the ju 52) used as tug.

It's allowed to build a plane, that we all know to be a tug, wearing only the national markings.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2020 at 4:15 PM, Erwin said:

The Shuttle has engines from the start of the design.

It didn't start live as a glider with engines added later.

Or was there ever a Shuttle without engines ? Then it's OK

I would have to say NO to both.Unless another member has a different point of view.

I would say the Shuttle is a glider in wing-borne flight. Its doesn't carry its own fuel so its engines are only used for ascent as a rocket. After re-entry its a pure glider albeit one with very poor performance!

It was certainly a glider during Enterprise's Approach And Landing Tests.

Go on Erwin, give a Shuttle some love. 😉

Phil.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PHIL B said:

I would say the Shuttle is a glider in wing-borne flight. Its doesn't carry its own fuel so its engines are only used for ascent as a rocket. After re-entry its a pure glider albeit one with very poor performance!

It was certainly a glider during Enterprise's Approach And Landing Tests.

Go on Erwin, give a Shuttle some love. 😉

Phil.

Well,I'm no shuttle expert.

Based on your explenation...OK !

• Like 2