Norway - Northrop F-5A(G) Freedom Fighter (Esci 1/72)

Rabbit Leader

For my second Nordic GB build, I decided that the Norwegians deserve a little extra limelight so delved into the stash and retrieved my 1/72 Esci F-5A. I've always been impressed by the quality of this kit and still marvel at the delicate nature of the crisp parts and finely recessed panel lines. I now hear that Italeri have decided (once again) to re-release this kit in 2020 and can honestly see it being a good seller for them. I have also posted a few threads in both the 'Cold War' and 'Wanted' sections for information to help me tie up an early Norwegian Squadron coded F-5 and matching serials. Nils from Vingtor has kindly sent me a link to a Norwegian website where this information was published in some club newsletter back in 2009. I've just sent them an email to see how / if I can obtain a copy to help me along this modelling journey. 

Anyway, enough of the waffle, here's a quick photo of the original box and sprues which are still factory sealed from the early 80's. Not long after this shot was taken I opened the bag and started this lovely kit in-between the Mrs doing here usual rounds of "Tidy Fridy"! I'll post some progress pics in the next few days. Looks like I must have tested the decals some time prior and suspect / hope they still work. 

Cheers.. Dave 

49466272531_93bc3fcf6c_b.jpg

• Like 16

I remember those late 80's when ESCI showed up for the first time in stores here in Belgrade.

I was a kid that just hooked up on scale modelling, and I was literally drooling when I see all those red-sided ESCI boxes on shelves.

A real nostalgy! ❤️

Looking forward to watching this build!

Cheers,

S.

• Like 3

Interesting! I was delighted to see Italeri is going to release this kit again - as I've heard it's a good one. And not really spoiled by the choices for the early F-5 in general.

Nice to see this kit 'in action' :) 

I have one Norwegian build lined up too (CF-104) - but I'll finish one or two other builds before starting that one.

• Like 1

welcome along again Dave and with an F-5 this time, great to see.

Gosh she's another golden oldie but a good one. I remember as well the Esci models released in this era were some of the best around and probably still pretty good compared to some of the more resent releases!!!

She will look nice in the Norwegian scheme.

Good luck with the build and another to look forward to seeing in the gallery.

• Thanks 1

Never seen one of these built up before now but always heard good reports about the kit quality so looking forward to your progress with it :) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, reini said:

I have one Norwegian build lined up too (CF-104) - but I'll finish one or two other builds before starting that one.

Now you've caught my attention, Reini ;)

• Like 1

Dave,

Great choice with a great kit.

I think True Details did a replacement resin seat but there's not a huge amount of aftermarket out there, I have one started in the stash where I used an old Eduard etched set for the F-5E to tart up the cockpit.  I've long hoped somebody would produce something specifically for this kit particularly that complex canopy mechanism.

I love this kit, I have several in the stash and will be watching with interest.

• Like 1

Update #1 - Construction begins (briefly?) 

My, how this great GB is motoring along after only a few short weeks! There seems to be a number of great build threads and detailed updates popping up daily. I'm quite surprised at its overall popularity however think that we might be all getting a little tired of building Spitfires and 109's that when something like this comes along it's a welcome breath of fresh air. 

Anyway, not a lot to mention, however a couple of photos have been added to show where I'm at. Like many kits of the day (and still a common practice today) the fuselage comes in many parts to allow the provision for a Two Seater variant (which along with the RF version, I also have). The ejection seat is split straight down the middle, so I've tried to cover up the offending join line by adding two bits of sized up plastic card. An AM seat probably would have been better, however I always try to improve whats provided before shelling out extra cash on AM stuff. The cockpit sidewalls are also bare, so I made up some plastic card additions to improve these a little (note to others - they are not accurate!).

I've painted up a few internal parts that need to be done to progress the build. The cockpit sidewalls and tub have been painted in a light gull grey and various areas picked out in black. I'll use the kit supplied decals that make up the instrument panel and console dials. To my eye, these decals are more than adequate for 1/72 scale and as I'm still not sure if the canopy will be left open or closed, probably won't even be that noticeable anyway. My modelling time is not that great at the moment, so I'd best just get on with things and leave issues that won't be noticeable well alone - like those sink holes in those intake spitter plates!! (... quite lazy on my part I know!). 

Cheers.. Dave 

49505308976_a2e07a83f4_b.jpg

49505308586_59486e61e6_b.jpg

• Like 12

Update #2 - Construction continues (lots done!)

My lack of updates on the Heller Safir is due to spending quite a bit of time on this kit. To be honest this is a nice kit out of the box, however the break-up of the fuselage takes the best part of twelve pieces (including the engine intake slitter plates). That in itself is no major challenge, however there are many seam joins to take care of, especially if this will eventually be painted in an overall silver finish.

Now I did alter / enhance a few things from the base kit. I fabricated a plastic card nose wheel well upper wall to hide the resulting seam line and filled in the underwing pylon attachments. The reasons for the latter are (a) I won't be using the outer weapons pylons and (b) I've read that the inner pylon locations are too close to the main u/c gear doors and will cause dramas if one intends to use the supplied fuel tanks, which I do!  

Overall though, I did take a bit more time at each of the assembly stages and am glad I did. I experienced a few gaps in the lower wing to fuselage join, however I'm not sure if this was my previous sanding of the fuselage parts prior to the winged being fitted. None the less, she's essentially in one piece and I've just got a few small details to take care of before hitting it with some paint. 

Cheers.. Dave 

49546039037_e47b085bf4_b.jpg

49545310893_386a1fa7b6_b.jpg

49546039027_e67073e566_b.jpg

49546039217_e062b5386b_b.jpg

49545310593_0558ecab89_b.jpg

49545812181_5031593965_b.jpg

• Like 6