1/72 Revell-Germany Go-229

This has been a very on-and-off build starting when the kit was first released in 2006. But it's finally done. As you can see, I had a bit of fun with the paint scheme.

TpDH4HA.jpg

F2BdAV9.jpg

hAD3She.jpg

I used a He-162-style ejection seat because it was a more advanced device better suited to a Luft '46 production aircraft and not at all because the correct style of seat no longer fit in my modified cockpit and I had one of those lying around.

There were an extensive number of additions and changes to the kit. The original had holes where the engine exhausts were supposed to be, allowing you to look right through out the massive nose gear bay. So we need to make engines and while we are at it we should add the structural pipe-work around it.

03ZTvRg.jpg

Brick red was a primer color for plywood, and it allows a nice contrast for the pipes. However, it took 6 episodes of Star Trek Enterprise to mask off the red and another one to take all the tape off when I was done painting.

InsnQgw.jpg

The cockpit had even more complicated pipe-work. As you see, I divided the pipes between the two halves of the kit. When I first constructed this in 2012, I had a clever system of sliding everything together. When I came back to the kit in 2018, I forgot how to do it, and I ended up breaking a few things learning. The instrument panel is a kit-supplied decal. I later added some simple bezels around the larger instruments to make it look better. I also added ammo boxes and feed paths, and the guns were moved forward to the correct location.

Q09ovnX.jpg

Everything except the main posts of the landing gear was scratchbuilt. The curvy bits are boat davits from Pit Road 1/700 scale JMSDF ships. Some of the doors were scratchbuilt as well because I put them someplace safe years ago and I couldn't find them later. The nose gear also got scratchbuilt parts, and its doors were modified from the Horten 3-door system to the production style 2-long door style.

For some reason, I had steps between the wing and the wing (it's all wing, right?). That took lots of sanding and rescribing and I lost some raised rivet detail. The front canopy just would not sit right without repeated modifications to the shape of the instrument panel (a kit part!). Otherwise it went together well.

Model Master paints, 3rd party decals for the crosses, kit decals for the warnings.

• Like 23

Not usually a Luft 46 fan, but I have to make an exception for this evocative example of the genre! And after all, the Go 229 wasn't just a paper project.

The camo scheme is appealing and innovative and… why not?

The entire build is a showcase of the modeller's art! Very well done indeed.

And I do appreciate a modeller who shows off his work in six well chosen photos, instead of filling the post with a score of almost identical pics… 😉

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 3