Tamiya 1/35 Achilles

Jasper dog

3 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Darryl,

I hadn't seen this one, with the Otter and the JP, I thought you had your quota covered ... lol.
It looks great at the point you are, very beautiful color and modulation ...🍿

Cheers mate 👍

Thanks Francis, the Otter is just waiting for a figure or two the JP is progressing and as I'd been asked by the inlaws if I'd started it yet, thought I'd better force myself to crack on. Life can be hard at times....:winkgrin:

55 minutes ago, phildagreek said:

Looks very smart!

Cheers, good of you to look in, appreciated. 

35 minutes ago, Tankmass said:

Hullo, where those shells included in the kit or where they add on? Beautifully done so far.  

Hi, yep, shells came with the kit. In fact, apart from the aerials and home made handles everything is oob, as of yet at least.

Thanks for commenting.

Cheers 

Darryl 

Gloss coated, decalled, all four of them, and another sealing coat of gloss over the decals. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Having a go at the figures too.

spacer.png

Primed and sprayed khaki with a quick dark brown wash. Always struggle with figures but they do bring vehicles to life. 

• Like 10

Looking good Darryl,  I'm just catching up after my King Tiger builds, I have to ration my time on this site or before I know it, the day has gone and I have b.... all done,  I have the AFV Club Achilles and Wolverine in the stash, one of those mad moments when I wanted to recreate D-Day in 1/35th scale.  I know what you mean about losing your ability to brush paint, I did all my painting with a hairy stick, now when I try it's rubbish, must be the paint these days. :whistle:

28 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I know what you mean about losing your ability to brush paint, I did all my painting with a hairy stick, now when I try it's rubbish, must be the paint these days. :whistle:

Many moons ago, when Pontius was a pilot, I used to build aircraft and I too used to brush paint quite a lot and was usually happy with the result. The difference being that then, I used enamels, and I think that they are a lot more forgiving than some acrylics when applied with a brush.

John.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Many moons ago, when Pontius was a pilot, I used to build aircraft and I too used to brush paint quite a lot and was usually happy with the result. The difference being that then, I used enamels, and I think that they are a lot more forgiving than some acrylics when applied with a brush.

Glad it's not just me then, I vote we go back to the 1970s, the weather was better and I needed a comb. :winkgrin:

• Haha 2

On 22/02/2020 at 09:24, flashlight said:

Hi Darryl, very good paint job, the colour modulation looks great!

Have a nice day

Nick

Thanks Nick glad you like it.

23 hours ago, BIG X said:

Wow Darryl this is looking the business - really enjoyable build - Steve

Cheers Steve, great to have you along.

20 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Looking good Darryl,  I'm just catching up after my King Tiger builds, I have to ration my time on this site or before I know it, the day has gone and I have b.... all done,  I have the AFV Club Achilles and Wolverine in the stash, one of those mad moments when I wanted to recreate D-Day in 1/35th scale.  I know what you mean about losing your ability to brush paint, I did all my painting with a hairy stick, now when I try it's rubbish, must be the paint these days. :whistle:

I know just what you mean, if I spent the time modelling that I do on BM I'd probably have got far more done but, it wouldn't be the same.  Not to mention the the benefits of pinching other people's ideas and techniques. :thumbsup: (Thanks John :whistle:).

Quite right, modern paint doesn't lend itself to the brush, that's the excuse and I'm sticking to it.

19 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

John.

And as for brush painting, comes to something when I'd go to the hassle of masking and spraying the yellow tips to prop blades rather than put up with the brush. (Again it was acrylic at this point as spraying enamels indoors was frowned upon...)

But quite true in the day brush painting enamels was the only option and it did the job.

You are probably right John and going back to enamel for brush and detail work might be the way to go... crack open some of the 30+ yr old humbrol enamels and see what's still viable. 

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the comments.

Darryl

• Like 1

Started the weathering process, first up a dark brown wash for green vehicles,  in a panel gaps, corners, streaks etc, followed up with some rain-mark streaking.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Looks a bit severe in parts but.....

spacer.png

Quick spray over with a Matt coat softens the effect.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next up the exciting job of tyre painting 🤔😴, chips and scratches. 

Wish I'd cut some of the grouser off the holders, looking at period photos there was quite a variety of options. 

Thanks for looking.

Darryl

• Like 11

10 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

Looking good Darryl. 👍

9 hours ago, Hamden said:

Looking good, paint work coming together very well

Roger

9 hours ago, flashlight said:

Excellent!

Have a nice day

Nick

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Very effective weathering Darryl. Great job.

John.

Thanks for taking the time to comment, really appreciated. One of the advantages of BM, it encourages you to get your finger out and crack on not, to mention nice to have positive feedback, makes you feel you're heading in the right direction. 

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the lengthy gap between posts, where does the time go...

Trying to push this over the line so pressed on, unfortunately didn't take the number of photos I usually would.

Less of the excuses and .....

Lower hull weathered with pigments and pigment fixer, must remember to turn the air pressure down if spraying pigment fixer otherwise there's little left for it to fix in place.:doh:

spacer.png

I could then fix the suspension units in place and weather as above.

Whilst all the above was drying I started on the tracks. Using the kit supplied rubber band tracks I followed John's (Bullbasket) suggestion and sprayed them with Halfords rattle can pale grey, as a base, followed up with several coats of track wash to give the desired metallic brown colour and painted the rubber block tread in Vallejo dark rubber. The metal extremitys have been rubbed over with pencil lead.

(Should have taken a close up photo here, instead this is best I have).

spacer.png

The grousers have been painted and weathered with various metallic shades, washed over with track wash then a coat of matt and a rub over with pencil lead.

As can be seen in the above pic the kit supplied hawser has been used, string with plastic ends, with a suitable paint job it looks ok?

spacer.png

spacer.png

Kit supplied stowage has been fixed to turret sides once painted and weathered.  Sprayed with black under coat, khaki top coat, dark brown wash, white dry brush and a quick coat of matt varnish.

spacer.png

Aerials are from rb, with hindsight they perhaps look at bit heavy/thick. I assume in reality the aerials would have been flexible to allow for turret rotation?

spacer.png

Kit supplied .50 has been used with the muzzle drilled out.

spacer.png

Kit supplied figures used, will get there with figures, eventually...

spacer.png

Getting there, starting to add extra stowage, spare road wheel attached and camo net on rear hull.

spacer.png

Just got a little more stowage to sort out and fix in situ, then a final once over with pigments to complete weathering. 

Might have a go at another little base for this one....

Otherwise it's into the cabinet to go with the Firefly and Cromwell,  making up a nice little Normandy 44 trio.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 10

It's looking really good Darryl. The tracks are fine and so are the crew. A couple of suggestions if I may. When you paint the eyes, try to make them thinner to avoid the wide eyed look and make the iris a little larger. And the second is can you soak the camnet in some dilute PVA glue to make it sit down more, as at the moment it is a little stiff looking, like chicken wire.

John.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

It's looking really good Darryl. The tracks are fine and so are the crew. A couple of suggestions if I may. When you paint the eyes, try to make them thinner to avoid the wide eyed look and make the iris a little larger. And the second is can you soak the camnet in some dilute PVA glue to make it sit down more, as at the moment it is a little stiff looking, like chicken wire.

John.

Thanks John, I'm hoping for a new approach to figure painting (keep in mind, I never said better!:winkgrin:) next time I tackle some. It was suggested painting the eyeball first prior to painting the face, might allow for a more controlled approach. Rather than literally poking him in the eye with a pointed stick!

I'll give the pva soak a go too, thanks.

You where right about the pale grey base for the tracks too.:thumbsup:

5 hours ago, M3talpig said:

So good to see a model slowly come to life and very inspirational, you have done a great job with this, a model i'm hoping to do myself one day. :goodjob:

Thanks. Typical Tamiya, would say can't go wrong but I've proven you can and I did....

All my own fault though. :doh:

Thanks for looking in and taking the time to comment. 

Darryl

3 hours ago, DAG058 said:

It's Looking very nice now!

Thanks, now.......???:rofl:

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Quick couple of pics, save a few tweaks pretty much done. (pva cam net for one, John!)

Still the proper pics to take and not really happy with the grass but gives the impression, for now. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9