Tamiya 1/35 Achilles

Jasper dog

Wasn't what I had in mind as the first new build of 2020, it was a Christmas gift from the brother in law, much appreciated I hasten to add. However, as I keep being asked if it been done yet I've bumped it up the pending pile. Life can be tough at times, having to build a new, modern Tamiya kit....:whistle:

Go quite nicely with the small collection of Normandy 44 armour in the cabinet.

spacer.png

Obligatory box top shot.

spacer.png

Half dozen or so parts assembled to create lower hull, built up in next to no time.

spacer.pngOne of the exhausts drilled out to give better impression of depth.

spacer.pngWheels assembled, tyres scuffed and nicked with a sharp blade. Suspension units assembled, not keen on the vertical split as it can leave an awkward seam to deal with on hard to reach areas. Little smear of Vallejo plastic putty behind the guide wheels to tidy the join.

spacer.png

Suspension unit components ready for assembly. 

Due to the open top nature of the Achillies going to need to get on with the interior painting before assembling the hull. Next job once suspension done is to build up the turret and breach ready to spray along side the hull.

Thanks for looking in.

Darryl 

• Like 10

19 hours ago, Hamden said:

Great present and a nice start, looking forward to following this as it progresses

Roger

Thanks Roger, must get on with it,  I suspect we'll be getting a visit late Feb and at my rate there could be very little to show!

Thanks

Darryl 

• Like 1

I will follow along with this, as I want one of these to go with my AFV Wolverine. I find it sad though, that Tamiya persist in shoving these old sprues with the VVSS units on them, instead of coming up with some new ones. They did it in the IDF Sherman M1.

John.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

I will follow along with this, as I want one of these to go with my AFV Wolverine. I find it sad though, that Tamiya persist in shoving these old sprues with the VVSS units on them, instead of coming up with some new ones. They did it in the IDF Sherman M1.

John.

Thanks John, I'd agree, just looking at a Cyberhobby Sherman III, slightly different set up (just has a return roller on top instead of both the roller and guide) but the breakdown and detail is much more refined. 

Looking at the AFV club one and that has the same vertical split running through the guide as Tamiya,  however the overall detail looks more refined. 

Cheers

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Looking at the AFV club one and that has the same vertical split running through the guide as Tamiya,  however the overall detail looks more refined. 

AAAAAARRRRGH!!! I hadn't noticed that. It's been sitting in the stash cupboard for 3-4 years. Well, that means I'll have to source a replacement set from either Asuka or one of the AM companies. Thanks for pointing that out.

John.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

AAAAAARRRRGH!!! I hadn't noticed that. It's been sitting in the stash cupboard for 3-4 years. Well, that means I'll have to source a replacement set from either Asuka or one of the AM companies. Thanks for pointing that out.

John.

Sorry for bearing bad news, I'm going to get shut of my afv club Achillies now I've the tamiya one. Apparently, from what I've read, it has some shape/dimensional issue too. Along with the point I don't get on with afv club kits after doing there Valentine, it fought all the way. (Could have been my own fault apart from the decals falling apart which was the final straw).

Cheers

• Like 2

Like you, I will go for the Tamiya Achilles, but I will stick with the AFV Wolverine. The turret has got some shape issues but I believe there are some AM products to help correct these.

John.

• Like 2

A little progress over the weekend, suspension units assembled, turret innards secured in position and breech assembled.

spacer.png

Turret left in two halves for now to ease painting. Inside turret, breach and floor of hull painted scc15 whilst hull sides and roof painted white. I took a guess on the breech being o/d rather than white as it stands to reason if inside the turret is o/d so would the breech.

Just needs some detail painting and a little weathering etc and I can crack on with the assembly.

Unfortunately small progress report I'm afraid, wasted a good portion of yesterday modelling opportunity with a failed attempt on freehand airbrush camo on the JP. 

(More on that over on it's own wip when I can get to it.)

• Like 6

Progress, for some reason at every turn I seam to be making a pig's ear of things modelling wise recently. From what should be a straight forward build I've, not the kits fault, been making silly mistakes. Used the wrong size polly cap in the drive wheels, one of which I can't separate the two halves to rectify. Struggled with simple brush painting jobs on the interior. Hopefully it's just a spell and get back to "norm" very soon.

Any how, excuses made, what's been achieved. 

Interior painting complete, my brush painting skills recently have just ...gone!

Range poles have been painted multiple times and still not happy but as they are mostly hidden they'll do. Interior weathering done, washes, dry brushing and pigments all thrown at it, almost literally! 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Shell cases too, couldn't paint for toffee, mostly hidden so will do...

Turret built up along with breach,  similar weathering process but tried some faded green pigment on the inside, felt the base SCC15 was a little dark. Not overly happy with the shell cases again, couldn't get a smooth brass coat on. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Doesn't look to bad in the pics...

Removed one of the mid guards, lots of period photos show one or both missing or damaged. 

Added most of the bits and pieces to the hull and replaced the moulded blobs of plastics that represented handles on the engine deck, drivers and radio operators hatches with copper wire. Real easy thing to do and makes an improvement, imho.

spacer.png

One removed next to the original tamiya representation, just needs to be glued and pushed in, and a miss drilled hole filled.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's all for now, thanks for looking.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

felt the base SCC15 was a little dark.

If you can get hold of Mig's Allied Green Fading pigment and apply it at the end with a brush, it will lighten whole areas. It's looking fine so far despite your troubles.

John.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

If you can get hold of Mig's Allied Green Fading pigment and apply it at the end with a brush, it will lighten whole areas. It's looking fine so far despite your troubles.

John.

Thanks John, you're quite right it does lighten it...👍

All troubles I'm afraid are of my own making, don't ask my how or why but if I could make a silly mistake I did, and same goes for the Jagdpanther too!:doh:

Sure it'll be fine in the end.....:whistle:

• Like 1

Almost ready for a splash of paint.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Main assembly complete save for the aerial which is due anytime, just needs a coat of primer and on with the O/D.

Stuck with kit supplied barrel as its essential one piece with a separate two part muzzle brake, didn't see the need to splash out on a AM one.

Whilst waiting sorted out the kit supplied figures and the various sundries that still needed attention. 

spacer.png

Quick coat of primer applied, tools, grousers, spare track etc have had similar treatment. 

Thanks for looking.

Darryl 

• Like 9

42 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Stuck with kit supplied barrel as its essential one piece with a separate two part muzzle brake, didn't see the need to splash out on a AM one.

Quite agree with you Darryl. I don't see the point in splashing out just for the sake of it. I'll be using the barrel/muzzle brake in my M51, as there's nothing wrong with it.

Achilles is coming along nicely.

John.

• Like 2

As has been threatened on the previous update,  paint.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Halfords rattle can black primer.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Basic coat of Ammo Mig SCC15.

Then on to the fun bit;

spacer.png

spacer.pngMid way through painting, lightened with a pale wood colour added to the O/D to create a bit of depth and interest. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Paintwork done, including highlights (haven't shown up terribly well on the pics). Whilst had the very pale O/D to hand added a few scratches with it.

Will need to allow to dry fully before slapping a gloss coat on prior to weathering. 

What else is there to do whilst it's throwing it down and blowing a gale!

Hope everyone is surviving Dennis.

Cheers 

Darryl 

• Like 13

8 hours ago, Vaastav said:

Lovely build.

I did the Airfix M10 GMC (The US version) and this looks far superior. 

Must look it up, thanks.

8 hours ago, ProjeKtWEREWOLF said:

Really nice work so far. It is giving me the kick up the backside I need to finish my Chieftain. 

Chieftain you say, Tamiya or Takom ?

Either way, big fan you must post it.

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

That basic coat went on well. Nice one Darryl.

John.

Thanks John, still have the faded green pigment waiting its turn.

Thanks everyone, appreciate the feedback.

Almost feels like cheating, now I've found a formula that appears to work I keep going back to it.... Really must try something different. :whistle:

Gloss coat went on today, didn't see much point in posting pics of a glossy version of the above.

Thanks again

Darryl 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Chieftain you say, Tamiya or Takom ?

Either way, big fan you must post it.

Tamiya Mk5...xmas gift from the missus, and my first scale model in 30 years; I've done a few aircraft which were real drinkers. I've never done AFV before. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ProjeKtWEREWOLF said:

Tamiya Mk5...xmas gift from the missus, and my first scale model in 30 years; I've done a few aircraft which were real drinkers. I've never done AFV before. 

Never built it but being Tamiya I'm sure it'll go together well.

You're on the right sight if you need and advice or inspiration. 

Cheers

Darryl 

4 hours ago, flashlight said:

Hi Darryl,

this is a great build so far!

Have a nice day

Nick

Thanks Nick, like the, "so far!" :rofl:

Plenty of time for all to go belly up!

Cheers 

Darryl 

• Like 1