Finnish Hurricane

Beazer

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

oh what happened there? looks like it almost went on too hot!

Looks like you recovered ok.

The paint crazed when I applied semi gloss so I used isoalcohol to try to remove and blend in as much as possible.  Pretty much have to remove it all.

49564508842_ffaba51015_b.jpg

Well, the yellow and blue survived masking.  Was a little concerned about it lifting.

Tried to get somewhat accurate demarcations but the left side was an unknown so I had to use a reference of the HC-454.

Either way it came out ok.  Ill just handpaint some areas and blend them in.

I just have to focus on finishing the wheels, exhaust and then its all onto decals and weathering.  Seeing as how the wings were metal on the 452, I might go a little heavier on the weathering.

• Like 11

Finnish Hurricane trivia - the first batch at least, and possibly subsequent batches, were delivered via Grangemouth airfield where they overnighted and were refuelled. 

They were parked up a mere few yards from where I park my rear end each morning when I get to work, our school being on the airfield site and just across the (modern) road from the surviving Grangemouth hangars.

John 

• Like 5

49590813137_08194cfd3a_b.jpg

49590813147_152742c114_b.jpg

452 Getting the paint scratched on the metal surfaces.  Going to try and see about blending and weathering onto the fabric stuff, then gloss and decals.

I sprayed Vallejo Gloss on and I noticed it came out quite gritty and I had to really wait to see some resemblance of a wet coat.  In the end I had to pass and try another previously used method.  Is there any reason that may stick out in your minds for this?

• Like 5

Both look good and 452 certainly looks to be living a hard life. Seen some photos of RAF Hurricanes were the fabric areas were faded to a degree more noticable than the metal sections so perhaps that would be the case here as well.

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Both look good and 452 certainly looks to be living a hard life. Seen some photos of RAF Hurricanes were the fabric areas were faded to a degree more noticable than the metal sections so perhaps that would be the case here as well.

Yes just don’t have any idea how to accomplish that.  Maybe an eraser to the fabric sections?

mask around the fabric area's and spray with a little lighter color of the basecolors, or in this case maybe some clear with some buff added to it... (1drop of buff for 20 drops of clear, that gives the possibility to build up the color difference...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Silenoz said:

mask around the fabric area's and spray with a little lighter color of the basecolors, or in this case maybe some clear with some buff added to it... (1drop of buff for 20 drops of clear, that gives the possibility to build up the color difference...

I took this and ran with it, not sure if its how it should have turned out or if I used too much but hey its an experiment now.

49594059707_a890057ff6_b.jpg

Exhaust stains and pigments on, ready for a clear and tamiya flat base flat coat.

Wish me luck, its gotta turn out eventually right?

• Like 6

I may as well add my 2 cents worth as well! :D

Misting ultra thinned down coats (90:10 thinner to paint or greater) of a lighter shade of the base colour or just plain white, is a simple and fairly safe way of wading colours. Just spray it really light and try not to “wet” the surface. This way you can gradually reduce the fade from greater on the upper surfaces down to nothing on the underside. 

It can take a bit of practice, using super thin mixes means you won’t really notice it while you’re painting, so just take in steps and gradually build the finish you want ( 

ive done it enough times I now do it in one  session). 

It does work with clear as well but you just need to be careful you don’t get a heavy coat, again I’d go super thine with the mix.

But great job on both of them, they look awesome, can’t wait to see the final beasts.

49594493191_34cca33df1_b.jpg

Sister planes together.

I must say I learned a lot through trial and error with these builds.  There were a couple instances where I thought I was binning the lot but I’m glad I persevered.

If you look closely there’s a few subtle differences between the two.  Notably on the 452 with the extra armour plate which I was led to believe was not present on Finnish hurricanes but it was present in the photos of the 452 at the museum.  I modified the seat to also match its real life counterpart.  The width of the bands varied and obviously one was weathered more than the other.  I’ve got a giant book and decal set of Finnish aircraft which I’m sure I’ll end up using in the future for an me-109.

Thanks everyone for the constructive criticism and advice.

Now my display case is almost full and I really think I need to get a better looking board to display these models.

• Like 8