Saab JA37 "Jatkviggen"***FINISHED***

PeterB

Hi Reini,

Thanks for that. I think this is the first time I have deliberately not modelled "war shots" but it was easier than all the bands and stripes on live missiles and I rather like the green against the grey.

Just a quick question - is the Swedish "Jakt" from the same root as the German "Jagd" as in Jadgpanzer? Looking at the box in the above pic made me wonder. JA37 = Jaktviggen = "hunting/fighting Viggen" I presume. So busy building it the though only just occured to me!

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

Yes - Jakt, hunting.

So JA is 'Jakt-Attack'. The fighter-Viggen - so fighter first, strike secondary.

The strike variants are AJ, so 'Attack-Jakt'. Strike first, fighter secondary.

Then we have S for 'Spaning', reconnaissance. Like on AJS37 Viggen or JAS39 Gripen.

Aand plenty more but those are some of the important ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for that Reini.

So technically my Italeri JAS 39 should also be a recce version, but as the pod provided never went beyond the prototype stage it should really be a JA 39! One of our latest cats is named Jak but he is not a very good hunter (I am pleased to say) Don't mind them killing rats, but my wife prefers them not to kill birds. His brother Dax is however getting to be a good mouser - more slow and stealthy whilst Jak is a "charge at everything" type.

Cheers

Pete

Pete

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PeterB said:

Thanks for that Reini.

So technically my Italeri JAS 39 should also be a recce version, but as the pod provided never went beyond the prototype stage it should really be a JA 39! One of our latest cats is named Jak but he is not a very good hunter (I am pleased to say) Don't mind them killing rats, but my wife prefers them not to kill birds. His brother Dax is however getting to be a good mouser - more slow and stealthy whilst Jak is a "charge at everything" type.

Well, it could still be JAS - there are different kinds of recon. For example AJS37 didn't have recce pod - but it could carry jamming pod, which could be used in record-only mode and it would record all the radar signal information it received. So one could use it to pinpoint possible radar site locations once the data was put together on the ground. AJS also had quite good ground radar also (altough at it's best for what it was meant for - finding ships in the open sea) which had the ability to mark recon points or designate search areas. One could for example mark same ship multiple times to figure out it's speed & heading and so on. One of the more advanced jets of it's era - and lot of heritage that spawned the Gripen :) 

It seems there are no two cats that are the same :D Our cat had a mouse literally jump into her mouth - but she didn't have the faintest of idea what to do with that unexpected situation :D She is called 'Batman' and has been featured in some of my WIP threads as a (not-so-helpful) sidekick to my hobby...

• Like 1

• PeterB changed the title to Saab JA37 "Jatkviggen"***FINISHED***

We have been having problems this weekend with the weather. Fortunately I am 200ft above the valley bottom so I haven't had the problems with the river overflowing unlike the poor souls in town, but the run off from the hills above me has left a couple of inches of mud over my steps and path. Look out over in Scandinavia, it is a nasty one and heading your way!

Anyway, I have sprayed the Viggen and taken some indoor pics for the gallery.

Here is one sample.

DSC02609-crop

It has gone together pretty well and is almost OOB. I have added the missing underside warning beacon and the fairing mentioned earlier,  modified the tank so it could go under the gun pod, and added Rb 71 Skyflash and pylons. The Master probes are on and are amazingly unbent after the spraying.

So 4 down and just the Gripen to go. As ever thanks for all the help.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 4

• 1 year later...

I have re-instated most of the pics at the request of Jeroen - hope they may be of use but there are several better builds out there in this GB, though mostly other makes of kit or other scales. I added the extra actuators under the wing and modified the fins on the belly tank - I should probably also have modified the intakes where they mount onto the fuselage as there is a strut on the real thing. I added a little weight though it may not have been needed, and as my fuselage was a bit "wobbly" I added locating tabs at the bottom which seem to be a good idea. Otherwise pretty much OOB. the tail pipe/thrust reverser petals would benefit from some work or maybe AM. There was quite a lot of resin addons available at the time, but like the decs from Moose Republic the Maestro parts were rather expensive.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Thanks @PeterB, this is really helpful, indeed a lot of other Viggen builds in Nordic I but I was looking for more info on the Heller kit. I was planning on tabs in the fuselage as well because there's some warpage there. Plus I don't know the first thing about aircraft (ok, I know they fly, which is probably the first thing), so I don't know the second thing about aircraft and I already picked up some pointers from your build. I'll be happy if I can get it in the same ballpark as your build 🙂