Yugoslav DC-9 ++ FINISHED ++

CliffB

Evening all.

With my KUTA Hampden finally finished, it's time to drag another victim to the workbench - one that I was hoping to build as part of @Giorgio N 's Yanks Abroad GB :)

P1110119.jpg

P1110118.jpg

I've built a few 1/200 scale airliners over the years, but this will be my first Hasegawa DC-9. 

I'm not expecting too many problems, so to add a bit of 'interest' I've decided to build the kit as a Yugoslav Airlines (JAT) aircraft.  Unfortunately, JAT operated DC-9-30 variants whereas the kit represents the longer -40.  Apparently, it's an easy conversion if you own a saw (which I do).  I also have some instructions somewhere, if I can find them....

Interestingly, Garuda Indonesian Airways (the kit's scheme), also only operated -30 aircraft! ;)

I'll be using this Lift Here! decal sheet.

P1110120.jpg

The model will form part of a 'History of JAT' display at this year's Cosford Show (at the beginning of April), so I have a firm deadline.  

Cheers

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Very interesting subject, looking forward to this !

Thanks Giorgio :thumbsup2:

18 hours ago, srkirad said:

I'll be following this one with pleasure.

JAT "egg" logo and livery from that period was the best and look pretty most original of all of them - later phases were...meh..

Cheers,

S.

Thanks S.

My favourite is the earlier 'egg' scheme (with the cheat-lines) - like the Caravelle :).

Cheers

• Like 1

Yup, I agree - this "egg" livery is terminal phase before introducing "wings" livery on tail.

Old one with cheat lines may look too retro nowadays, but I really like all those old liveris on airliners.

Today's airliners are a bit dull with plain white base and minimalistic (modern) design effort on colored parts :(

Cheers,

S.

• Like 1

I was waiting for some paint to dry on my P-51, so decided to take my razor saw to the DC-9

P1110123.jpg

Here's how the shortened fuselage compares with the original.

P1110125.jpg

A small change, but worth it I think ;)

Cheers

• Like 3

A bit more to report.

Both sides are now complete and the cabin windows have been filled with epoxy putty.  The grey bit is the plastic nose weight (provided in the kit), to prevent tail sitting.

P1110131.jpg

And here we have the fuselage closed up and the cockpit windows fitted.  I'll be using decals for all the glazing, so it's no problem that I've scuffed up the clear part (it looks like filler in the photo, but it's not)!

P1110132.jpg

Cheers

• Like 3

"Operation" went well - I can see the patient is well & alive :)

Did you maybe check balance point now the fuselage is shorter?

That nose weight is designed for longer fuselage, don't have a clue whether balance point is now different? 😕 

Cheers,

S.

• Like 1

Thanks S.  Yes, the operation went really well - much better than I had feared it might!

The balance point is still OK too, helped by the putty (which is quite heavy and mostly in front of the main wheels).

Cheers

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A little more progress to report :)

P1110155.jpg

All the parts are primed now.  I used a spray can of Tamiya Light Grey primer, which is a reasonably good match for the light grey parts of the original aircraft.  I'll be using Tamiya white primer for the white bits too!

Cheers

• Like 4

Thank you @Romeo Alpha Yankee @srkirad and @Grandboof

I'm pleased to say that the DC-9 is now finished.  The generic decals (such as the windows), came from a Liveries Unlimited sheet, with the JAT decals coming from Lift Here!  Both performed faultlessly :).

P1110157.jpg

Thank you, as always, to those who have supported this build and to @Enzo Matrix for facilitating things :cheers:

• Like 5

13 hours ago, desert falcon said:

That is looking fantastic Cliff, just as I remember seeing them 👍 (except they weren't that clean 🙂)

Thanks desert falcon.  Mine has just come out of the paint shop ;)

12 hours ago, srkirad said:

Successful job Cliff! It turned out really good!

Thanks S.  My next JAT will be a Caravelle in the Heller GB :coolio:

12 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Very good looking Douglas Commercial 9. :thumbsup: 

Thanks Dennis.  My first ever flight was in an Alitalia DC-9 to Venice in the mid 70s.  It's still one of my favourite airliners and so much better looking than the MD-80s that followed :winkgrin:!

8 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nice!

Thanks Ray.  I always enjoy an occasional airliner build :)

Cheers

• Like 3

• 1 month later...