CRARRV BATUS

Hamden

12 hours ago, flashlight said:

Hi Roger, looks good already! Very nice work!

Have a nice day

Nick

Thanks Nick nice to see you here

32 minutes ago, viper-30 said:

Good job the lower hull has come together quickly.

terry

Thanks I think things will slow down a bit now though!

Roger

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your comment Ivan

1 hour ago, ivan-o said:

Whats the casting like, small fragile fiddly bits or ok?

So far not to bad there are small bits and some parts seam to fit where they touch. The hull top for example fits nicely with the side of the hull but leaves a 1 - 2 mm gap between the back panal and hull top. The towing eye jaws are moulded integrally with the back panal and have got broken in transit or didn't mould correctly when cast. Slow and steady with plenty of dry fitting seems the way to go!

Roger

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A very small update as I've had no bench time for a while, Southwest Model Show at Bovington Tank Museum last weekend, storm damage causing water ingress in the kitchen and the freezer packed up to round off the last couple of weeks.

Anyway I did manage to fit the earth anchor mounting brackets to the hull front if nothing else.

IMG-0355.jpg

Hope everyone escaped damage from the last couple of storms and your projects are progressing.

Thanks for stopping by your time and comments are appreciated

Roger

• Like 7

Right I have made up for the lack of progress from the last couple of weeks by dry fitting the earth anchor to check the alignment of the mounting brackets, which appeared ok. 

The two top anchor arms being a thin resin part were both broken which entailed making replacements from 1mm thick plastic strip, next the operating rams needed to be fitted and as I'm having the anchor in the stowed position these need to be modified as they are supplied in the extended lowered position. To date I have moded and fitted one ram together with the hydrolic pipes to the right hand side of the vehicle.

IMG-0356.jpg

IMG-0357.jpg

The next two show the anchor removed and the operating ram in place, the unmodified ram is seen in front of the hull

IMG-0358.jpg

IMG-0359.jpg

I have also primed the front with NATO green as this area will be difficult to paint once fully assembled.

Thanks looking and stopping by

Roger

• Like 5

I have now finished fitting the earth anchor, the replacement top arms that I made orginally from plastic had to be remade this time using brass sheet off cuts a little longer than the originals so that the blade would sit in its correct stowed position.

IMG-0362.jpg

IMG-0363.jpg

Next on the list is the main winch fair lead, the first picture shows the two main parts of this and the second shows them in place.

IMG-0364.jpg

IMG-0365.jpg

Thanks for stopping by your time is appreciated

Roger

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JeroenS said:

Looks like wires should be able to pass through the winch? Nice detail.

Yes cable can pass through the fairlead it has been drilled through to allow this.

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant watching this, I have it too and will help me big time, will do it soon after a bit of getting back into modelling on a couple others first, just wish things like the winch parts were made of separate bits instead of 1 big lump, could have been so much better I think, cheers for sharing

Mark

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mbthejester said:

I have it too

Look forward to seeing yours come together. Good references are essential as some of the placement of parts are open to interpretation, having been involved in base overhaul and first line servicing is deffinately an advantage. Everything is dry fit and then double check for fitment before glueing anything together.

Roger

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for the likes and comments it is appreciated.

Another few minutes stolen to progress this a little further. The main parts of the hamper have been glued together and dry fitted to check alignment, this will be left off until after painting. The hamper consists of the centre beam with pack lifting frame moulded in situ, the two front mountings, the two side bins and basket, again the basket has jerry cans moulded in place and the the last piece is the rear A-frame. Recovery cables x2 have also been added to the underside of the hamper.

IMG-0366.jpg

IMG-0367.jpg

IMG-0368.jpg

IMG-0369.jpg

Although I've not taken any photographs I have also fitted the commander's coupola.

Thanks for looking in more soon I hope

Roger

• Like 7

Thanks for the likes and comments very much appreciated.

Another few minutes today saw the hamper recieve the cable carrier across the back edge, this involved repairing one of the mounting points as this was damaged in transit. Having made a replacement for the broken one the carrier was glued in place, after that the Don Ten cable reel was assembled and fitted, this consisted of resin cable drum centre with five P.E. pieces for the front and back plates and carrier frame.

The road wheels, sprockets and idler wheels were also fitted to the hull together with a pair of Trumpeter rubber band CR2 tracks to see how things look, these are  little on the long side and will most likely be replaced with the Accurate Armour resin tracks at a later date.

IMG-0370.jpg

IMG-0371.jpg

IMG-0372.jpg

Thanks for stopping by more soon I hope.

Hope everyone stays safe from the virus

Roger

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, ivan-o said:

you might want to consider Bronco tracks

I have used Bronco tracks on my op telic CR2 and they are very good, I have the Accurate Armour ones which my daughter gave me with the conversion kit as they come with the wider CR2 sprockets/carriers as I needed to update the conversion from the early dead track to the later live track to reprosent a vehicle that I worked on whilst at BATUS when employed by ABRO/DSG.

Roger

• Like 1

Whilst keeping away from the current corona crisis I have done a little more on the CRARRV. First off the cam: net support brackets were poorly moulded and some were broken so replacements have to be made. I did this using brass shim and tube, up to now I have made the two rear brackets and the RH centre bracket, whilst I was doing these I also made up brass plate with the recovery chain stowage pins from brass shim and rod. I have also made a start on assembling the Atlas crane and fitted the fair lead to the secondary winch.

IMG-0373.jpg

IMG-0374.jpg

IMG-0376.jpg

IMG-0375.jpg

Not a lot but some progress.

Hope everyone is keeping well and thanks for stopping by

Roger

• Like 5

Hope everyone is staying safe and stash reduction programme in force during these difficult times.

Thanks for the likes and your time looking in.

Right where were we ah yes the crane well this is now complete except for the hydrolic hoses, electrical loom, work light and hook. I have replaced the operating control levers with brass rod as the resin ones didn't look to strong, so if one broke whilst removing from the sprue  and cleaning up I would have had to replace them anyway.

IMG-0378.jpg

IMG-0379.jpg

IMG-0380.jpg

Work has started on the front head and side  light assembly's one down one to go

IMG-0377.jpg

I then came across a problem with the hamper in that one of its rear legs had snapped off ( as has been said in another thread AA's resin is quite brittle) and the broken off piece nowhere to be seen so a replacement was made from plastic I-beam with one side sanded flat and CA'd in place. With a coat of paint and the recovery ropes in place I don't think it will show.

IMG-0381.jpg

Lastly a pic: with the crane and hamper on the vehicle for a trial fit

IMG-0382.jpg

Starting to look like a CRARRV now, more to come as and when time permits.

Thanks for looking in and I hope everyone stays safe and well

Roger

• Like 8