Eduard 1/48 Draken Limited Edition - J 35J grey camo

Rui Silva

Hi all,

My Draken #3 for this GB!

Another Flygvapnet F 10 aircraft in the last colour scheme of two greys; here you have the usual boxtop and sprue pictures, some parts already used for testing fit with the Aires AM.

d41ef1de7d196c44369c676056521ae4.jpg
a8f32d7bc4d43bcac126613cb5a2b46d.jpg
2a75eb56a6ff2dcea6a35ca2776d5fd8.jpg
5d3b5d8bc203cd2de6227192caccfdae.jpg

Edited by Rui Silva
Photos
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, Christer A said:

I love it!

Hi @Christer A,

The only picture of Red 50 Johan 50 I have is from Airliner's Net and I presume I can't publish it, could you please use your sources and post some grey Draken photos in the reference section?

Tack så mycket!

Edited by Rui Silva
Spelling

1 hour ago, Christer A said:

The tricky part will be to find picture of Johan 50 and not Johan 56 which is the currently only flying J35J

Thanks Christer,

What I think I understand about F 10:

Flygflottilj (Wing) F 10 was divided in 3 Divisionen (Squadrons):

101. Stridsflygdivisionen (Air Combat Squadron) "Johan Röd" (Red Johan): Ghost badge

102.  Stridsflygdivisionen "Johan Blå" (Blue Johan): Badge ?

103. Jaktflygdivisionen (Fighter Squadron, why was this a fighter squadron and the others combat squadrons?) "Johan Gul" (Yellow Johan): Swordfish badge.

My problem is that I only have for tail markings a spare set of swordfish markings for 103. Jaktflygdivisionen, so this is my only option and the only grey J 35J of 103. I can find is Johan 50!

Edited by Rui Silva
Text

29 minutes ago, Colin W said:

Is this the same plastic as the Hasegawa kit?

Precisely the same, Eduard has a long running program of re-releasing Hasegawa kits with Eduard "goodies" in 1/48 scale, what's strange is why the Eduard resin bits (wheels, ejection seat and tailhook) aren´t available separately?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rui Silva said:

Thanks Christer,

What I think I understand about F 10:

Flygflottilj (Wing) F 10 was divided in 3 Divisionen (Squadrons):

101. Stridsflygdivisionen (Air Combat Squadron) "Johan Röd" (Red Johan): Ghost badge

102.  Stridsflygdivisionen "Johan Blå" (Blue Johan): Badge ?

103. Jaktflygdivisionen (Fighter Squadron, why was this a fighter squadron and the others combat squadrons?) "Johan Gul" (Yellow Johan): Swordfish badge.

My problem is that I only have for tail markings a spare set of swordfish markings for 103. Jaktflygdivisionen, so this is my only option and the only grey J 35J of 103. I can find is Johan 50!

102:nd , Or Johan Blå has a quite elaborate badge.

But its basically a blue circle, with a blue Ace of Hearts, over which there are a winged skull, with a top hat, monocle, and a blue scarf, that is holding two crossed rapiers in its mouth. Phew!

They did paint a bright blue draken in their colors for the retirement of the type called Johan blå

bladrake.jpg

Yes, it flew, atleast once.

As for 103 being a fighter and the other two combat squadrons has everything to do with the aircraft that came after: JAS-39 Gripen.

Draken at F10 was only ever a Fighter and couldn't do anything else. Gripen on the other hand is a multi-role aircraft, hence the change in designation.

Bonus pic, the slightly sad looking Johan Gul

guldrake.jpg

right.

Leaving the brightly colored Drakens to go chasing the grey ones.

I had a look in this book:

1232_9172661453_Draken.jpg

Even on the cover you have Johan 57 (35570) from the 3:rd squadron with a small swordfish, but there are lots more!

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Sweden-Air-Force/Saab-J35J-Draken/2544476

If you're able to find this gem

http://nordicairpower.com/books/nap%236.html

You'll have LOTS of pretty pictures to gaze at.

But from my Draken above, there are also pictures of Johan 27 (35627)

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Sweden-Air-Force/Saab-J35J-Draken/5123935?qsp=eJwtjcEKwkAMRP8lZy9arNBb/QE9%2BAMhO9SFtbskESyl/24s3oY3j5mVpM6Ojz%2BWBhrIwCpPOlBj5ZfRsJJiyubKnus8ir%2B5hNed%2B9MlNKvq1yVAYscoguZIf37TBP1VMNkXp3g4RoDe90xdHzxla4X3DTjnQtv2BQTYMZ8%3D

and Johan 43 (35582)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome along with another build and Draken! It's great to see all these multiple builds.

I have this exact boxing...plus extras to go with it.

You can always post a link to the photo you're talking about, that's fine, I take it this is the one you're talking about?

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Sweden-Air-Force/Saab-J35J-Draken/1085060/L

Good luck with this build as well, another one to follow for sure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trickyrich said:

You can always post a link to the photo you're talking about, that's fine, I take it this is the one you're talking about?

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Sweden-Air-Force/Saab-J35J-Draken/1085060/L

Good luck with this build as well, another one to follow for sure.

That's exactly the picture I was talking about, thanks @trickyrich for your advice and kind words.

Still dealing with resin, now for the XMM resin seamless intakes, one of them is a nearly perfect fit, the other is a bit splayed out, I will try correcting it with a hot water dip!

396cfad370896084a40ed94700683643.jpg

Edited by Rui Silva
Spelling
  • Like 6

Got the resin intake in 80ºC hot water and I think it naturally got back to the correct position, super easy! I dipped the other one just to be a little bit tighter et voilà... two seamless fitting seamless intakes. 😎

Now I have to order the third set from XMM.

a7f43481f20a6d08a0f9ab37d0b8f97f.jpg

Edited by Rui Silva
Spelling
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, Christer A said:

Make a groove in the gun-port filler too, I've heard that it can help with the fit there.

• Thanks for your advice @Christer A, I did make a groove on the port wing filler piece and then squashed it a bit on a vice, now it fits much better than originally; luckily the starboard gun port fits well enough, it would be trickier to squash that one.

4a9467a916159ebca7359cd36b2aaf05.jpg

Edited by Rui Silva
Spelling
  • Like 5

Drakken tailcone details: I believe that in the real aircraft the parabrake is housed above the tailcone, the housing has a piano hinge at the bottom that splits open for parabrake deployment; Hasegawa has molded a wall that closes this compartment when it should be open and visible, I modified the kit parts just filling away the small wall (left side, top and bottom modified parts).

e2d8207af1ff14b75a621ec9b6860323.jpg

• Like 4