Norwegian Gladiator 433 Colours

Crimea River

Investigating the fuselage insignia band a bit further, I've observed the following from the two main photos I copied to post #40. The first observation has to do with Nils' band dimension ratios (6-1-2-1-6) stated earlier in the thread. Neither photo seems to support the ratio of the white and blue stripes relative to each other. Indeed, the blue looks to be only slightly wider than the white, if not the same. Secondly, the photo of the port side reveals that the red bands are not the same width on that side but that they are the same on the starboard side. My conclusion is that this insignia was not applied with perfect accuracy and that whoever painted the bands must have allowed the masks for the white and blue stripes to wander off center a bit on the port side.

I do have a question about the number style for the "433" on the fin. Though the resolution on the photos is not perfect, it appears that the black strokes of the numbers have vertical interruptions much like would be expected when using a cardboard template. However, the threes also seem to have horizontal interruptions. Is there a number style standard that anyone knows of here? I probably need to make my own decals for the "433" and I want it get it right.

I just commented on the band widths in your build thread. However I can repeat and go into more detail here. I have studied this "phenomenon" some time ago. Not only for the Gladiator, but for other types as well.

White paint reflects more light than dark colours, and thus for bands and stripes, white will appear wider than they actually are, while dark colours will appear narrower. This comes clear when you study different photos of the same aircraft, e.g. taken in broad daylight vs. closeup of the markings.

On this photo the white-blue-white bands appear equal width on the top, while the blue band widens down towards the bottom where less light is reflected.

spacer.png

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Crimea River said:

Any thoughts on the style of the 433 numbers?

Sorry, no. I assume the numbers were just hand painted without any template. Your guess is as good as mine.

• Thanks 1