R-33K Protocol Droid

R-33K Protocol Droid

Bandai 1/12

49439966453_3409476109_b.jpg

Another repaint of Bandai's C-3PO to add to the collection (I still haven't built this kit as it's intended subject yet). As with the previous ones, this is a non-movie droid of my own design by the name of R-33K, or Reek to his friends (if he had any). He's clearly not had the best of lives, and is probably even more decrepit and useless than Boris. No real modifications to the kit apart from the various hacks and gashes, and the missing arm, the joint for which was made from spares box bits and a few lengths of wire.

49440440271_8c2ebddb4e_b.jpg

49440439996_1130df0116_b.jpg

49440439676_3c9af272a4_b.jpg

49439965483_2d72736c46_b.jpg

49439965238_275da130dc_b.jpg

49440438791_b9580b5122_b.jpg

49440663542_06ef071858_b.jpg

49439964128_68e4c53216_b.jpg

Thanks for looking

Andy:cat:

• Like 55
  • Thanks 4

11 hours ago, Mike said:

I'll leave it to someone else to make the "armless" joke :)

Not to disappoint Mikey.

He looks like an 'armless' type of droid!

That aside it is just another example of both your fantastic work as a model builder and your imagination, outstanding as always!

Out of interest are you also Zenmaster Maker on Thingiverse?  Saw this and recognised the picture.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3680311

Cheers,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Love the level of detail in the finish, it's just full of things to linger over. And the white face really makes the scheme.

NB: Is the name a Game of Thrones reference?

W

• Thanks 1

On 06/02/2020 at 20:34, Will Vale said:

Love the level of detail in the finish, it's just full of things to linger over. And the white face really makes the scheme.

NB: Is the name a Game of Thrones reference?

Cheers Will,

I quite like the white face mask, although I wasn't that happy with the beigey brown upper torso. I'd thought it might tone well with the red legs, plus you see quite a few earthy coloured droids in Star Wars, especially in the various animated series. The end result didn't work out as well as I'd hoped though. The red too wasn't perfect. I was going for a red primer look but, despite using my normal go-to shade for that (Vallejo Cavelry Brown), they came out as a brighter red that I was expecting.

The GoT reference is accidental, although I might have had the name in the back of my head from that series. He does have some similarities with Greyjoy though - He's equally challenged in the groinal department.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
8 hours ago, 2lefthands said:

Outstanding!

Did you use PE parts for the one eye that is left?

Thanks,

No, there's no PE used, just the kit parts. The right eye is the clear eye part that comes with the kit, tinted orange in this case. The missing left eye uses the socket part that the eye would clip into.