Czech Avia B35 built from an ancient 1/72 kit

I wasnt going to put this 1/72 Avia B35 on this forum because its embarrasingly bad but I thought what the heck anything for a giggle. I bought this off eBay for £3.50 iirc and when I received it and opened the box my first thought rhymed with Clucking Bell, what have I bought and what do I do with it. Its an old possibly 70s kit by KP Kovozavody Prostejov presumably from Czechoslovakia and it had no instructions.

I was going to toss it in the bin but at the weekend I needed something to keep me amused for a few hours whilst babysitting so I cracked on. It was 2 sprues of some weird brittle plastic that was alternately thick as a plank and thin and fragile as spun sugar. The 2 fuselage halves didnt match 1 side seemingly made to a slightly different scale than the other. The nose was so thin I accidentally stuck a cocktail stick through the plastic on one side of the radiator when gently scraping some flash. The cockpit canopy was some randomly shaped yellow translucent blob and the wings were different shapes on left and right. I really should have taken photos to show the true horror.

I built the fuselage around a Bamboo kebab stick to keep everything straight using superglue as all the styrene glues I tried seemed to do nasty things to the plastic. I just happened to have the Bamboo stick on the workbench as a paint stirrer but it seemed just about right for this craptastic job. I had to rebuild the nose with plasticard and make a new radiator intake I think I almost got the right shape. Surprisingly the wings and tail went together okay just needing lots of Sprue Goo to fill some massive gaps and lots and lots of filing to get everything the same size. The undercarriage legs needed the flimsy hollow insides filling and strengthening with Superglue and some Baking Soda as a bulking agent. The cockpit canopy took around an hour to get into reasonable shape I finished it off by polishing it with toothpaste.

I didnt have a paint chart to follow just the box art which appeared to show a bright yellow and bright green paint job. I used Tamiya dark earth and yellow to do the yellowish Ochre, Tamiya Bronze Green and a mix of red and brown to do the reddish brown. Underside was a mix of black and white to make a generic grey. I didnt use my airbrush just hairy sticks. The transfers came from another kit.

So here it is the blob that ate my weekend. I have actually grown quite fond of the little sod.

49460944663_85fef8487c_c.jpgIMG_20200129_200620335 by Stuart, on Flickr

49461655837_c9a7646fcd_c.jpgIMG_20200129_200358495_HDR by Stuart, on Flickr

49460942198_ab8e2dff94_c.jpgIMG_20200129_200415252 by Stuart, on Flickr

49461653547_989f35806c_c.jpgIMG_20200129_200428791 by Stuart, on Flickr

49460937743_1fc8dd2d78_c.jpgIMG_20200129_200606263 by Stuart, on Flickr

49460938878_545206f605_c.jpgIMG_20200129_200517309 by Stuart, on Flickr

• Like 8

No matter how we may try, you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear. You have managed however, to make a very nice everyday hand bag from a few barely recognizable

plastic air plane pieces. Nice job!

I am kind of in the same boat as you currently. On my bench I have 3 kits that I am fiddling with. One is the new tool Airfix Buccaneer (probably my favorite British jet).

At the other end of the spectrum is a KP kit of the Avia BH-3 (yes, 24 kit parts in all). Somewhere in the middle of all that is an AMT kit of a '66 Ford Thunderbird that I am

trying to make it resemble the same car that my brother owns.   The most difficult one is the Ford Thunderbird as I am not even attempting to "nut out" the details on the BH-3.

If the BH-3 can stick together and hold paint I will call it a success.  I would say that you were very successful in your endeavor.

Cheers

Todders

• Like 1

Oh, and one more thing. Grab that little puppy and run it around the room a few times on a couple test flights. Don't forget to provide the proper 

engine noises while you are at it. You both deserve it.  😀

• Haha 1

Not your average Spitfire or 109, so there's nothing I can say as far as accuracy goes.

Looks quite nice, to me, and as long as you had some fun building it then that's the main thing.

:goodjob:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Todders said:

Oh, and one more thing. Grab that little puppy and run it around the room a few times on a couple test flights. Don't forget to provide the proper 

engine noises while you are at it. You both deserve it.  😀

I always do. Brum Brum Brum Nyaaaaaaah tacka tacka tacka.

It's a bit embarrassing for visitors to sit there whilst the Battle of My Dining room takes place.

• Haha 2