Nurnberg Toy Fair 2020

Paul821

My 2 cents: I can understand why some venders chose not to participate as it is expensive to pay for a booth, pay for shipping, transportation, lodging, people's time, etc. etc....   Big vendors can absorb these costs more easily but the economics can go down hill pretty quickly.  It once cost me $800 to move a small case from one side of the exhibit hall to the other because only union workers were allowed to move it and another $1,000 to get an electrical outlet (Gota love Chicago).  If a vendor had a history of creating new relationships for new sales from an event they could justIfy it but it is hard to justify if you could get the opportunity though other means or those new sales from the event don't materialize.  I did these types of vendor conventions for years in my business and some worked out but many just did not so any company has to weigh if it is worthwhile.  

As for Brexit I for one always thought market disruptions created opportunities, the trick is to see those opportunities and embrace them.   And the bigger the disruption the more opportunity.  Will it involve hard work, always, but sometimes it is only the adaptation that is hard, not really the ongoing business once you implement needed changes.   For every distributor that does not want to handle smaller brands because it is too difficult there will be opportunities for others to happily step in and build their own business.  Don't ever fear that people will not be able to figure out a way to sell you something!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Trenton guy said:

I am at a bit of a loss as to which new kit this discussion is about. Is it possible that we are getting a 1/72 Scale kit of Brexit?

We've already got it. It's finally been announced after years of wrangling over scale and marking options. In fact, many people argued passionately that there was no need for the kit at all. But an equal number of people were thrilled to see it finally cleared for production.

So far all we've seen are low quality test shots, but already it looks like it won't live up to all the hype. In fact the new Brexit may well prove to be a lot harder to put together than previously thought. I've seen a leaked copy of the instructions - they're incomplete and rather baffling. And I think the makers have taken huge liberties over accuracy.  But if you're the sort of person who likes a challenge, you'll love it.   

The finished version is supposed to be on the shelves at your local stockist at the end of December, but frankly I'd take that with a pinch of salt. And when you do finally get to open the box, don't be shocked at how far removed the finished product is from the artist's impressions in the catalogue all those years ago.    

• Like 8
  • Haha 15

20 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

... and they still haven’t decided whether it’s going to be moulded in Canada, Norway, or somewhere completely different...

best,

M.

There was also some mention last week of some Australian engineering being involved when everything else fails although little clarity on whether that option would involve full or short-run production injection , vac-form or maybe just carving from a block of balsa.

2 hours ago, Des said:

There was also some mention last week of some Australian engineering being involved when everything else fails although little clarity on whether that option would involve full or short-run production injection , vac-form or maybe just carving from a block of balsa.

More like a block of stone that you provide yourself. (The Aussies don't have any agreement with the Europeans, which means that any Australian style Brexit model is effectively a DIY job.) 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

... and they still haven’t decided whether it’s going to be moulded in Canada, Norway, or somewhere completely different...

best,

M.

Yeah, but who the hell wants a 1/72 Brexit?  Anyone who knows anything realizes the 1/48 (with Skybolts, of course!) version would fly off the shelves, especially if the boxart was PRU Pink.

• Haha 1

Problem is of course that those of us who foresaw the problems, and argued that the manufacturers should change the design to forestall the issues were laughed at, mocked, insulted and ignored.

The cries of :"Let's get the Brexkit done" blinded a lot of people to everything. Now if course, we, as customers are being offered an inferior product that is wholly unworkable, fatally flawed and unbuildable. Certainly not worth the prospective RRP being quoted by the makers. Glad I never preordered! 😂

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Lothian man said:

More like a block of stone that you provide yourself. (The Aussies don't have any agreement with the Europeans, which means that any Australian style Brexit model is effectively a DIY job.) 

That seemed to be the response of those who had researched the Brexkit when this was suggested but on the other hand there are always those who say its a new manufacturer , cut them some slack as they are really busy trying to get their latest train set sorted out , does it really matter if it is the wrong shape and looks nothing like the box-lid.

• Like 2

On 2/16/2020 at 7:04 AM, Homebee said:

French magazine RVB Cocardes has just published a large (60 pages!) downloadable Nurnberg Toy Fair 2020 digital report.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zZzujHLlGa8RbZd-eHyUGdtt8RE-qi-2/view

V.P. 

Looks like raised RAM tapes AGAIN on the Academy F-35B - oh well, Hasegawa it is....

9 hours ago, Des said:

That seemed to be the response of those who had researched the Brexkit when this was suggested but on the other hand there are always those who say its a new manufacturer , cut them some slack as they are really busy trying to get their latest train set sorted out , does it really matter if it is the wrong shape and looks nothing like the box-lid.

Not to mention their Meccano bridge. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/12/2020 at 6:18 PM, alt-92 said:

It's already at least a tenner extra costs for a basic 3-4 AM item order on the big H.

I've checked from receipts by how much the costs increased. Nearly doubled in 4 months. That does not bode well...

Hmm, I’m a bit worried to. They are my main source, and I do wonder if I should take this as a signal to start stocking. 

And I do think it belongs here: if the topic was discussed at the fair and rumours abput spread I for one would like to hear these rumours. 

On 2/16/2020 at 7:25 PM, Lothian man said:

.... and highly likely to boomerang ...   :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...