Nurnberg Toy Fair 2020

Paul821

The will be changes over the next year or so for the supply of models in the UK, esp since we have left the EU.

Established distributors like ourselves and others are looking at consolidation of the Brand we import and distribute.

If a brand is strong then it will stay, but if they are weaker, problems in the supply chain and sales then they may disappear.

One of the advantages of being in the EU was smaller retailers had the chance to find smaller brands from within the EU with little or no problem with paperwork and imports.

The UK modelers had a great choice and access to unusual products.

Thing are about to change and administration will get much more complicated for good coming from the EU (We have just been informed by the GOV.

According to a report in the Guardian, Michael Gove has informed UK businesses trading with Europe that they need to prepare for “significant change”, with “inevitable” border checks for “almost everybody” who imports from the EU, from next year. He confirmed that detailed border checks will be in place for nearly all EU imports , something that industry leaders have campaigned against.

In the first official confirmation of government-imposed trade barriers post-Brexit, he warned there would be checks on food and goods of animal origin, plus customs declarations and mandatory safety and security certificates required for all imports.

“I don’t underestimate the fact that this is a significant change, but we have time now to make that change,” Michael Gove told delegates at a Cabinet Office event entitled Preparing Our Border for the Future Relationship. He suggested that it could take five years to get a smart border involving online processes up and running, but insisted businesses had to be ready for the change next January, whatever the outcome of the next phase of Brexit negotiations.

Later the government issued an official update confirming checks on both imports and exports. The update warned that the “policy easements put in place for a potential no-deal exit will not be reintroduced, as businesses have time to prepare”. The “easements” that will not apply include deferred VAT payments on imports, which the government had considered in a no-deal plan.

According to attendees, it was stated that the government is determined to stick to its vow to no longer follow EU rules that would allow it to minimise future barriers in cross-border trade. They were told that it was the government’s aspiration to make sure trading with the EU was “as smooth and trouble free as possible” but that “we also need to ensure that people are ready for the regulatory checks that will follow”.

Elizabeth de Jong, the Freight Transport Association’s UK policy director raised concerns that the IT systems would not be ready until 2025. “We are naturally disappointed that the promise of frictionless trade has been replaced with a promise that trade will be as seamless as possible but not until 2025, with a more realistic but costly ‘make do and mend’ approach to be employed until then.”

Jill Rutter, senior research fellow at UK in a Changing Europe tweeted that the move would “at a stroke remove any benefits from any business trading with the EU” and that businesses will see a “massive increase in red tape”.

As an established Importer of Hobby Products it will not mean a lot of difference, we have strong systems and import agents in place, but a brand will have to show its worth the effort.

A lot of Retailers or smaller importers bringing goods from the EU are just not prepared for whats coming, so finding a distributor in a country is going to be very important, as the ease of which EU suppliers have been selling to smaller UK retailers may disappear overnight.

Edited by TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

No one saw that coming . . . . . or rather those that did were ignored and/or mocked and of course the effects will be multiplied over every aspect of daily life but nothing that a rousing chorus of 'Rule Britannia' and a couple of Royal/Celebrity or even Royal Celebrity Weddings will not cure.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

28 minutes ago, Des said:

No one saw that coming . . . . . or rather those that did were ignored and/or mocked and of course the effects will be multiplied over every aspect of daily life but nothing that a rousing chorus of 'Rule Britannia' and a couple of Royal/Celebrity or even Royal Celebrity Weddings will not cure.

Well I expected it and everything that will stay available wil be getting more expensive as well as all that red tape needs to be paid...

I am from the Netherlands and it will be coming our way as well..everything needs to be checked and we probably will pay 21% tax on everything coming from the UK and it will be costing me a payment of custom declaration fee in the order of almost a 10 pounds ...

So buying from the UK which I did on a regular basis will be drawing to a close for me.....

I think it is still a pity seeing you leave😐

cheers, Jan

• Like 1

It's already at least a tenner extra costs for a basic 3-4 AM item order on the big H.

I've checked from receipts by how much the costs increased. Nearly doubled in 4 months. That does not bode well...

Edited by alt-92
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, janneman36 said:

Well I expected it and everything that will stay available wil be getting more expensive as well as all that red tape needs to be paid...

I am from the Netherlands and it will be coming our way as well..everything needs to be checked and we probably will pay 21% tax on everything coming from the UK and it will be costing me a payment of custom declaration fee in the order of almost a 10 pounds ...

So buying from the UK which I did on a regular basis will be drawing to a close for me.....

I think it is still a pity seeing you leave😐

cheers, Jan

It was intended as irony , perhaps lost in translation and I did not leave , I was taken out by the next door neighbours (geographic comment not political.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Des said:

It was intended as irony , perhaps lost in translation and I did not leave , I was taken out by the next door neighbours (geographic comment not political.)

Haha not as sharp after a day of flying ....hypoxia🙃 Love thiegh neighbor....

cheers , Jan

Although Brexit has now "happened", existing arrangements (i.e., no tariffs or checks between the EU and UK) stay in place during a transition period, until a trade deal (or deals) is signed*. That is the legal position. So these sort of price hikes ought not to be happening anywhere along the supply chain right now, but I'm not in the least surprised that they are. I've heard of at least unscrupulous hobbyist supplier in Ireland jacking up their prices already.

*Or is not signed before the transition period ends on Dec. 31st 2020, in which case the "worst case" scenarios may indeed come to pass. What is more likely to happen is that there will be trade deals in place for some areas by then, and not for others. The one thing that seems unlikely is that there will be a general extension to the transition period beyond the end of 2020, but even that isn't certain.

Edited by klr
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED said:

The will be changes over the next year or so for the supply of models in the UK, esp since we have left the EU.

Established distributors like ourselves and others are looking at consolidation of the Brand we import and distribute.

If a brand is strong then it will stay, but if they are weaker, problems in the supply chain and sales then they may disappear.

One of the advantages of being in the EU was smaller retailers had the chance to find smaller brands from within the EU with little or no problem with paperwork and imports.

The UK modelers had a great choice and access to unusual products.

Thing are about to change and administration will get much more complicated for good coming from the EU (We have just been informed by the GOV.

According to a report in the Guardian, Michael Gove has informed UK businesses trading with Europe that they need to prepare for “significant change”, with “inevitable” border checks for “almost everybody” who imports from the EU, from next year. He confirmed that detailed border checks will be in place for nearly all EU imports , something that industry leaders have campaigned against.

In the first official confirmation of government-imposed trade barriers post-Brexit, he warned there would be checks on food and goods of animal origin, plus customs declarations and mandatory safety and security certificates required for all imports.

“I don’t underestimate the fact that this is a significant change, but we have time now to make that change,” Michael Gove told delegates at a Cabinet Office event entitled Preparing Our Border for the Future Relationship. He suggested that it could take five years to get a smart border involving online processes up and running, but insisted businesses had to be ready for the change next January, whatever the outcome of the next phase of Brexit negotiations.

Later the government issued an official update confirming checks on both imports and exports. The update warned that the “policy easements put in place for a potential no-deal exit will not be reintroduced, as businesses have time to prepare”. The “easements” that will not apply include deferred VAT payments on imports, which the government had considered in a no-deal plan.

According to attendees, it was stated that the government is determined to stick to its vow to no longer follow EU rules that would allow it to minimise future barriers in cross-border trade. They were told that it was the government’s aspiration to make sure trading with the EU was “as smooth and trouble free as possible” but that “we also need to ensure that people are ready for the regulatory checks that will follow”.

Elizabeth de Jong, the Freight Transport Association’s UK policy director raised concerns that the IT systems would not be ready until 2025. “We are naturally disappointed that the promise of frictionless trade has been replaced with a promise that trade will be as seamless as possible but not until 2025, with a more realistic but costly ‘make do and mend’ approach to be employed until then.”

Jill Rutter, senior research fellow at UK in a Changing Europe tweeted that the move would “at a stroke remove any benefits from any business trading with the EU” and that businesses will see a “massive increase in red tape”.

As an established Importer of Hobby Products it will not mean a lot of difference, we have strong systems and import agents in place, but a brand will have to show its worth the effort.

A lot of Retailers or smaller importers bringing goods from the EU are just not prepared for whats coming, so finding a distributor in a country is going to be very important, as the ease of which EU suppliers have been selling to smaller UK retailers may disappear overnight.

Why is this in Nurnberg Toy Fair thread ? Nothing to do with the toy fair directly and needs to be moved to chat threads

Comments are likely to become political and lead to arguments and post would be best deleted

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Acinonyx Jubatus said:

Why is this in Nurnberg Toy Fair thread ? Nothing to do with the toy fair directly 

I've found it discussed in various write-ups. It is a simple fact.

Then again, so is corona.

Comments are likely to become political and lead to arguments and post would be best deleted

We're all grown-ups here, I would expect everyone to know how to talk about something without causing too many problems. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Acinonyx Jubatus said:

Why is this in Nurnberg Toy Fair thread ? Nothing to do with the toy fair directly and needs to be moved to chat threads

Agreed.

Although even in 'chat' customs discussions quickly decend into politics and this one seems to have a head start.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

I've found it discussed in various write-ups. It is a simple fact.

Then again, so is corona.

We're all grown-ups here, I would expect everyone to know how to talk about something without causing too many problems. 

I would refer you to the Devachat website, a Chester FC forum

Click non football topics, then Brexit

Should give you an idea of how grown men behave when left alone with a computer keyboard

This is now the possible affect on your Hobby, as mentioned in this thread about distribution, which has been brought up at the Toy Fair.

As far a Mainland European Hobby suppliers go this years toy fair has brought about the problem of smaller UK dealers getting their supplies, and the need for official Agents and Distributor for many of the brands that have not had to bother before.

• Like 1

The Brexit and Nuremberg Fair have connections of course but the absence of producers at the fair has more to do with modelling hobby changing and becoming a niche market. Customers are now shopping around the world for their goodies circumventing local purchases from local retailers who get their products through distributors. We all shop at Ali-Express and Lucky models or wherever Internet takes us because the kits there are cheaper then when bought locally, even considering postage . Often the parcel were cheap enough to be let through through customs without costs and we all ask the suplier to downgrade the invoice for that. Only when customs get hold of the parcel, add the tax and also add handling fees the modellers get grumpy as now it becomes expensive.

That leads to the demise of those much liked but little visited and even less sponsored local modelshops and with them the local distributors. As that measn that modelling is getting less exposure in the Main streets less and less people are drawn to the hobby.  That also leads to lesser overall sales for the producers. That is what it is all about

All in all it means that the producers are seeking alternative ways to sell to sell to a smaller more critical market and are less depending on distributors and are often even setting up their own webstores.

So what will be the added value of attending an expensive fair then?  Yes there are still big European distributors serving the whole continent  like Glow2B, MBK, Faller  and Tiger Hobbies to name a few and these companies often take the honeurs at Nuremberg for the producers. Small companies like Robert Schneider of RS find the Fair too expensive to attend or at best they team up with others and have a combined stand. What that has to do with Brexit, well, As such not much but several European producers were missing at Telford last year and those I spoke all gave the same reason; fear of the import/export red tape and high costs. Last year it was not implemented yet and this year it will not either but for 2021 it will be.  But as many British traders I spoke at Telford were determined pro brexit i am sure they will happily fill up the vacancies left by MK1 models, Fly, and PJ to name just a few missing traders.  Things indeed will change for the modellers.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

For many years retail customers have purchase some of their goods direct from overseas and many have got away with paying no duty or Vat, this is about to stop,

All the worlds Finance Minister or what ever they call them in their countries have woken up to the Billions of little parcels going all over the world with little or no duty been paid, so trade deals will comes with taxation at source.

We have seen with GST Tax for Australia, basically if you sell to an overseas customer you will have to charge that countries Tax/ImportyDuty/Vat.  That duty will be collected by your government and sent to the other government.

Its coming.

Theres more than a few Hobby Business in this country who are not even registered as business's never mind paying UK duty, which has been got away with, if you pay duty (VAT) in the EU, then no record is kept as it is classed as a domestic sale, thus it does not have to be reported to the country where its going. Now we have left the EU this will stop.

This enables them to hide under the HMRC radar as no record of that sale has been recorded in the receiving country.    

Only us folk who are Vat registered have to keep a record of Vat free goods sent to other EU business's, by the total sales to a Vat number in a Vat Quarter.   The record of my purchases in the EU is reported by the business to their Vat folk.

From now, every Business who brings in as much as a gnats fart, will have to present themselves to HMRC to be issued with an EROI number, to enable them to import.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED said:

We have seen with GST Tax for Australia, basically if you sell to an overseas customer you will have to charge that countries Tax/ImportyDuty/Vat.  That duty will be collected by your government and sent to the other government.

There's still no VAT or duty on kits imported into the US! .... For now ....

7 hours ago, TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED said:

There's still no VAT or duty on kits imported into the US! .... For now ....

Strange I pay Vat and Import Duty with products coming from the USA, so I would not go bragging about it,

And for the individual buyer the obligatory eight pounds Royal Mail Service Charge which with my most recent dealings cost twice as much as the VAT charged (as HMG no longer has any controlling interest in Royal Mail not a political comment).

4 hours ago, Des said:

And for the individual buyer the obligatory eight pounds Royal Mail Service Charge which with my most recent dealings cost twice as much as the VAT charged (as HMG no longer has any controlling interest in Royal Mail not a political comment).

I am at a bit of a loss as to which new kit this discussion is about. Is it possible that we are getting a 1/72 Scale kit of Brexit? If not,then  i’m Not sure what it is doing in a Rumormonger Nurnberg thread. Sorry, but I keep clicking on Nurnberg 2020 hoping to find news of a previously unknown new kit.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1