Doolittle raid nose art

Guy Aceto

As I look to start the “new” 1/72 B-25B as a Doolittle raider I’m curious. The kit carries the ‘nose art’ for airplane #11 ‘Hari Carrier’ but I’ve seen some sort of art for a couple other aircraft. I know not every bomber had art, Hari Carrier is well documented, but the others I found were all very simple, white line work (chalk?) with the exception of the famous ‘Ruptured Duck.’ Everything I see seems to be color, however I’ve never seen any photos? What gives? Anyone out there know?

This link may be of some interest.  

http://ww2in172.com/?tag=academy

Is your question how do we know Ruptured Duck had color while the others didn’t?  From that link it seems most of the information regarding names and/or nose art on the Doolittle planes comes not from photographs but from Ted Lawson’s recollections that he describes in his book Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo.  The planes used on the raid had no art on them when they left on the Hornet so there wouldn’t have been much at their disposal at sea in terms of paint, hence why three of the four planes with actual art had it done in white.  If the man Lawson approached was indeed an avid painter, it’s possible he might’ve brought a few things with him to paint with for after the mission when they were in China if it was a hobby. It’s plausible considering one crew member went so far as to bring a phonograph and records with him on the mission.

Long story short, the lack of documentation is due to the crews hastily painting shortly before the mission and not everyone being photographed and the reason Ruptured Duck had color was Lawson just happening to know the right person.

Edited by Matt B

Hello Ace269

This topic has already been debated a few times here on BM. Here is the link to one of those threads:

I think most of the Doolittle raiders nose first appeared in the Thirty seconds over Tokyo movie and I am still convinced that Hari Carrier was the only B-25 actually flown with any sort of nose art. Check very useful link to Doolittle raiders webpage 72modeler provided with plenty of photos, taken on Hornet, in the air during and on the ground after the raid. Cheers

Jure

I know the story that Lawson told. I just find it odd that the other designs are so simple in comparison. Hari-Carrier does seem to be the only bomber with photographic evidence to support the art. Believe me, I’ve seen nearly every image that’s out there, but you never know what might be out there ... somewhere.  I also think I find most depictions of the duck huge by comparison, but thats a personal preference. Thanks guys.

My apologies to Mr. Miljevic. I had searched to see if there was a previous thread on the subject and didn’t find anything so I thought I’d ask the question in any case. I appreciate the help and will try to dig deeper next time. Again, my apologies to everyone. Thanks