Card + VacuumModelling + Etch - An ARP Signal Box + PLUS

Paul821

Belated thanks to @Enzo Matrix for setting this GB up.

In the Christmas Blitzenbuild 2019 my build was based around a N Gauge Metcalfe card kit. 

this was a pre-cut card kit in 1:148 scale.. Although this scale and 1:148 are my main focus, I have also decided to use the period between now and a house move to complete a micro layout in OO gauge. This will be based around my collection of military vehicles. The first stage is to build a signal box. This is a Scalescenes model that is now available at

https://scalescenes.com/product/r010a-arp-signalbox/

although mine was included free n the Hornby Magazine some time ago.

The pages as extracted from the magazine

DSC04016

the first task is to stick three of the pages to different density card.

DSC04017

The first time I built one of these kits I used craft PVA but it was far too wet an the paper never dried flat. I now use Pritt Stick and a roller to remove lumps and ubbles. To avoid the card curling during drying it currently resides under a pile of books.

More about the prototype in a future thread.

• Like 5

On 1/29/2020 at 11:03 PM, Tim R-T-C said:

Interesting to see this built up. Cardboard kits are so challenging.

I saw that one of the Peco firms are producing an injection model of this same prototype this year.

Tim - you are correct on both questions.

I only found the Ratio 'OO' model as the N gauge version  has been announced for 2020 - this bring my main scale of choice for model railways as mrentioned in my forst post.

For comparison this can be seen at https://peco-uk.com/products/arp-signal-box

This build did not lead itself to needing a post for every step as most of it was cut, glue., cut glue.,,,, with the odd fold.

The  current outcome is:

DSC04037

showing the two glues I used.

There were many issues on the way. I did decide not to fit out the interior as little could be seen,

The first issue was the windows - cutting out the very thin frames was beyond me an it only took a very slight slip of the knife to ruin a frame. Also paper is a very fibrous material and as such the multi cuts need on the frames led to ragged edges, Therefore I build my own frames out of evergreen strips

DSC04020

DSC04021

The end result is not 100% effective so this leads me to the next stage.

At the moment this looks too cardboardy and I have not yet marked the edges, so I now intend to look at improving the look of the signal box. Weathering printed kits is not something I have attempted before so some testing and research is needed. First stage will be changing the coping on the roof.

• Like 6

Title of this thread has now changed and the build has widened. The signal box (still WIP) will be part of a micro layout that will give the appearance of a military base. Nothing adds to that military field better than a Nissen Hut, so the first non injection addition to the build is this:

DSC04041

This is the Amera Plastics moulding, the nature of vacuum moulding means some of the details are very poor

DSC04042

DSC04043

So my first move it to remove these areas....

DSC04044

Having go this far I do realise that either:

https://peco-uk.com/products/nissen-hut

or

https://www.metcalfemodels.com/product/po415-00-h0-scale-nissen-hut/

would be an easier option but onwards I go.

Looking at the above two the first move may be to remove both ends and replace them!!!

• Like 4

Did not realise it was 2 weeks since an update. Partly due to work on the model that is contain these builds

as also awaiting a visit to my LMS (or an exhibition) to pick up some suitable doors & windows for the Nissen Hut.

In the meantime I am adding to the "not injection" build with this

DSC04059

a wind pump. I have very limited experience with PE so this will be an interesting build for me.

• Like 2