1/48 - Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird by Revell - released - upgrade sets by Hypersonic Models & ResKit - LASRE conv. set by BAM Models

Homebee

I want the Blackbird to be in 1/48 scale. I have the perfect place to display it. Right next to my 1/48 Hustler.

spacer.png

Edited by Johnny_K
space between text and photo
  • Like 10

• 1 month later...
On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 8:33 AM, gavingav said:

Very very very very very dark blue .

I've been told by Colonel Rich Graham (a retired SR-71 pilot) that the very dark blue urban myth is not accurate. The Blackbird is very definitely black. He also stated in the lecture he used to give at Duxford that the crews only ever referred to the airframe as the SR-71 - they never used Blackbird. One hell of a plane....

Chris. 

• Like 2

On 1/30/2020 at 3:32 PM, hopkp said:

I'm admittedly not speaking from personal experience, as I don't have the kit, but I've seen multiple on-line builds that would take a very different view!

They're not really representative. I felt very misled when I actually came to build it. 

On 2/1/2020 at 2:06 AM, DarrenH said:

Have you actually tr(i)ed to build the thing?

It (i)s quite possibly the worst engineered, poorly fitting kit ever in the history (o)f modelling.

You and I must have built a totally different kit! Certainly doesn't merit that level of hyperbole 😂  The only real problem I had with it was trying to recognise it from the entirely negative review builds on LSP. 

If the SR-71 kit is comparable to the SH, expect a challenging but rewarding build, good instructions, excellent decals and a seriously impressive result 👍

Revell make kits to a cost baseline according to the tooling shop and design team they have. For the money you pay they are perfectly acceptable. As for the criticism, if you want a perfect fit that falls together every time without much input from the modeller, I can recommend Lego. 

Alan

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Homebee said:

94a97cef39b7e202a1af94ae28c3aa84.jpg

V.P.

If you squint hard having drunk 10 strong beers whilst looking through the fabric of 2020's must have fashion accessory, a face mask, he actually starts to look a teensy bit like Kelly Johnson. 

• Haha 2

Is this one likely to be of those kits that when you make it and there are gaps at joints, don't fill them? I always remember large puddles of liquid below the aircraft that came from inside! No need for filler...

The SR-71 was always an impressive aircraft, I only saw one, at Fairford on a very hot Sunday in the early '90s.

I hope Revell make a good job of it and that you like building it!

Ray

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Alan P said:

They're not really representative. I felt very misled when I actually came to build it. 

You and I must have built a totally different kit! Certainly doesn't merit that level of hyperbole 😂  The only real problem I had with it was trying to recognise it from the entirely negative review builds on LSP. 

If the SR-71 kit is comparable to the SH, expect a challenging but rewarding build, good instructions, excellent decals and a seriously impressive result 👍

Revell make kits to a cost baseline according to the tooling shop and design team they have. For the money you pay they are perfectly acceptable. As for the criticism, if you want a perfect fit that falls together every time without much input from the modeller, I can recommend Lego. 

Alan

Inclined to agree with you Alan but, there are some who just like to use hyperbole and pejorative comments in lieu of facts because, they sound better.

Yes,the F-18 was not the easiest of builds but,so what? There was nothing about it that could not be dealt with by using a modicum of patience and,modelling skills. And, it's half th price of its nearest rival!!

As for the SR-71, I guess we will have to wait and see..I would have preferred a YF-12 myself but, what the hell!!😉. Price will determine my purchase of same and,that's one thing we cannot really fault Revell on in general.

Allan

Ps - like the comment about the lego!😂 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Price will determine my purchase of same and that's one thing we cannot really fault Revell on in general.

Definitely, their kits are very keenly priced and recent releases have been excellent value for money. Hoping the Sled will follow the same trend. 

1 hour ago, Alan P said:

Definitely, their kits are very keenly priced and recent releases have been excellent value for money. Hoping the Sled will follow the same trend. 

completely agree and disagree.

Kits like the 262 gave been excellent.

As mentioned not only by me but numerous online builds the F-18E was a debacle of the highest order.

3 different design teams it was mentioned lead to easily the worst kit i have ever tried to build in 45 years of modelling.

I mean instructions which warn you about flash but dont bother warning youthe engineering in the intake fuselage design is simply horrendous.

No hyperbole just go take a look at the unfinished online builds where people just throw it all in a corner never to be touched again.

Hopefully the A team will look after the Blackbird not the committee who  butchered the Superhornet. 

This is a typical experience and almost identical to mine.

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/79865-revell-bug/

Edited by DarrenH

I'll be looking forward to this like a lot of you.  I do like the Blackbird a lot, so a big'un in my favourite scale will be more than welcome ^_^

Let's leave the criticisms of it until it's at least available in plastic though, eh?  It's nonesensical :drunk:

EDIT: Maybe I'll finally find a use for my Black 3.0, which is the blackest black you can buy over the counter/internet :ninja:

• Like 1

Revell has seen huge decline in both quality and value for money ever since Hobbico takeover and unfortunately recent management is not doing the brand any favours.

Production quality slipped, prices have again gone up 20-30% across the portfolio, there are some excellent new kits like Beaufighter and Shackleton and Hawk in 72nd scale, but are hampered by low QC. As for Blackbird, truly hope that they outsourced CAD to someone with knowledge, cause initial kit design has been a problem for Revell in the last decade.

Edited by Thomas V.

I fear the vicious circle of poor product, increased prices leads to massive discounting of stock. I know a trader who confirmed just recently it was worth his while driving from the UK to the continent to pick up shrink wrapped pallets of Revell kits as they were being sold so cheaply to get rid. Lets think about that, its worth DRIVING abroad with attendant costs and taxes, fuel, ferry, etc to pick up these kits - they must be super cheap!

TT

1 hour ago, Booty003 said:

Hold a pint of Guinness up against the light....!!

You're doing it wrong.  Hold it up to your lips, and it'll miraculously disappear.  Try it a few times to make sure it works every time :drunk:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

You're doing it wrong.  Hold it up to your lips, and it'll miraculously disappear.  Try it a few times to make sure it works every time :drunk:

I can only confirm that extraordinary observation. Especially when it's chilled, very chill.