1/48 - Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird by Revell - released - upgrade sets by Hypersonic Models & ResKit - LASRE conv. set by BAM Models

Homebee

Given that it looks like it'll be 1:48 and most likely a big improvement over the Italeri kit, do I quickly flog my Italeri now before it's worth about £4.50? It's mad to think that yesterday these went for 70 plus quid, today about 7 quid. Oh well, I'd never have sold it and never built it either, I just don't have the room for it for starters. So I guess nothing really lost.

Edited by Filler
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

There aren’t any major problems with the big F/A-18E.

I'm admittedly not speaking from personal experience, as I don't have the kit, but I've seen multiple on-line builds that would take a very different view!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, exdraken said:

Would be very welcome in 48th, and for me totally unexpected!

Time to stock on Caracal Decals?

Just what I was thinking but we'll have to wait for a reprint from Caracal — I believe the SR-71 sheets are all but gone

Tony

Well, every modeler can see that the 1/48 scale goes up world wide in the last 15 years, even the 1/72 scale is still the collectors scale, but 1/48 scale find more and more friends. And if you say you dont have space in your shelf for 1/48 kits or those kits are too much expensive.....well thats your personally problem, its not the fault of the kit manufacturers.

So i will be happy to get a SR-71 in 1/48......the true scale.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

On 1/31/2020 at 1:03 AM, tony.t said:

Just what I was thinking but we'll have to wait for a reprint from Caracal — I believe the SR-71 sheets are all but gone

Tony

That is why I was saying... already late then :(

Edited by exdraken

21 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

That’s harsh! There aren’t any major problems with the big F/A-18E. I’d take it over the Trumpeter version.

Agreed!.

It's also about half the price of the Trumpeter kit!

Allan

• Like 1

On 1/30/2020 at 12:04 PM, VMA131Marine said:

That’s harsh! There aren’t any major problems with the big F/A-18E. I’d take it over the Trumpeter version.

It seems to have been desgined by a committee of whom either did not meet or talk to each other! To get it to fit there is alot of trimming and adjustment of plastic to get it together. (Hacking about). Tamiya it is not, but it could have been so much better given some recent Revell releases. I have one part built on the shelf of doom at the moment most of building done.

The above was my response to the F/A-18E review on here last year. The fusalage body does not fit in th location slot without trimming the thickness down alot, the outer wing will not fit due to the joiner being to big and not fitting in position. Revell also indicate that the bulkheads in the main fuslage engine area have to have 1/2mm removed from them to allow the top and bottom  to come together. The cockpit part has to have alot of trimming to get it to fit the rear half and the front of the intakes require very careful fitting together to mininise clean up and preserve the detail. One good point is the main wheel well which is very good. This kit does give us a good F/A-18E at a good price if you can stuggle through it but I don't think it does thier reputation alot of good. There is a good build LSP.

On 1/30/2020 at 12:04 PM, VMA131Marine said:

It seems to have been desgined by a committee of whom either did not meet or talk to each other! To get it to fit there is alot of trimming and adjustment of plastic to get it together. (Hacking about). Tamiya it is not, but it could have been so much better given some recent Revell releases. I have one part built on the shelf of doom at the moment most of building done.

The above was my response to the F/A-18E review on here last year. The fusalage body does not fit in th location slot without trimming the thickness down alot, the outer wing will not fit due to the joiner being to big and not fitting in position. Revell also indicate that the bulkheads in the main fuslage engine area have to have 1/2mm removed from them to allow the top and bottom  to come together. The cockpit part has to have alot of trimming to get it to fit the rear half and the front of the intakes require very careful fitting together to mininise clean up and preserve the detail. One good point is the main wheel well which is very good. This kit does give us a good F/A-18E at a good price if you can stuggle through it but I don't think it does thier reputation alot of good. There is a good build LSP.

On 1/30/2020 at 10:04 PM, VMA131Marine said:

Have you actually trued to build the thing?

It us quite possibly the worst engineered, poorly fitting kit ever in the history if modelling.

I cant recall a kit with poorer fit in 40 years of building kits and a complete contrast to the 262 they released at the same time.

I fave up on this kit as life is to short to deal with poorly designed garbage like this kit.

I have kept the weapons for my Trumpeter versions which go together well, dont have the huge spine issue but more impirtantly they fit.

The Trumpy kit goes together with typical Trumpeter engineering so 85% well 15% some filler and sanding ie no issues.

The Revell build is a shambles from start to when you throw it against the wall in disgust.

This is typical Revell Hornet experience.

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/79865-revell-bug/

• Thanks 1

I for one am looking forward to this and I hope it will be a good seller for Revell.  I can not speak to every model Revell has done but I have had good luck with their kits and I also appreciate that they are very reasonably priced.   Would love to see the two seater SR-71B just because it looks odd but I may have to wait on a conversion set for that.

I'm really looking forward to this. Revell is capable of doing / developing great kits, and this is really the first new announcement after the takeover. And they choose an iconic type, which isn't small. So, not really mass market (even though almost everyone knows this please) and a considerable investment in the mould. 

On 1/29/2020 at 3:27 PM, Violet Club said:

I hope in 1/72 (we are still waiting for a state of the art kit of this iconic airplane.  The entire Blackbird family with other birds (A-12, YF-12) would be a great idea !,

Have a look here 🙂

Serkan