1/48 - Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird by Revell - released - upgrade sets by Hypersonic Models & ResKit - LASRE conv. set by BAM Models

Homebee

11 minutes ago, Paul Bradley said:

The Museum of Flight seems to think it's an SR-71 - you might want to contact them:

https://www.museumofflight.org/Exhibits/cockpits

There I was in the middle of a strongly worded missive to the museum - but the link does show that they do indeed have an SR-71 cockpit on display which is different to the aircraft I had confused it with, the M-21 (which is the one that it had been arranged for me to sit in). As you were. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Stephen said:

I know I haven't seen the kit yet, but on the basis of that article I think my wallet can safely come out of hiding. The level of detail (particularly in the cockpits and wheel wells) looks decidedly underwhelming?

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird by Revell - 3D renders+test shots+box art - release November 2021
4 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

With all due respect, that's a very subjective question and, will really depend on the view of the individual.

The older kit is rather basic with limited detail but, I thought it built quite easily into a large and impressive model.

I agree that it's fairly subjective. I suppose I just didn't see anything of the new kit that was overwhelmingly better. I'm still tempted, my kit is the YF-12 so a proper SR-71 would still be attractive. 

Overall I applaud Revell for coming out with a new build of such an amazing aircraft and will most likely get one. 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2021 at 12:37 AM, Stephen said:

Thanks for the link. Beautifully elegant model (but the MLG buckets should be orange).

Love the complete NLG well and engine inlets, and the accurate nose contours — how can anyone seriously ask why is this an improvement over the Testors/Italeri offering?  The latter came out about thirty-six years ago, and although it was a work of art for its time (I built one and started another, so I know exactly how much I spent on Milliput and emery paper!) but was let down very, very badly by its appalling nose shape, shallow nose gear well and rather lustreless cockpit tub.

I hope a YF-12 follows. 

Tony 

• Like 4

On 10/15/2021 at 2:24 AM, hopkp said:

The level of detail (particularly in the cockpits and wheel wells) looks decidedly underwhelming?

Really? It looks more than acceptable to me. It would provide a great basis for some super-detailing, if a person decided to go that way. Also, I find myself wondering how much of the cockpits will be visible, even with the canopies open.

Each to their own, I guess. 

Chris. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

What precisely is wrong with the Testors nose shape? The SR-71 had a variety if interchangeable noses for different tasks. Does it not resemble any of them?

Resemble is the right description. It looks more A-12 to me, or something between that and the SR-71.

1 hour ago, Beermonster1958 said:

I seriously think its a very reasonable question, especially when having to fork out a fairly high price for the new kit and/or one may not be familiar with the older model.

Comparing models is something we do all the time.

The old kit looked every inch an SR-71. Worked for me anyway😉😊.

Yes, I agree a Yf-12 would be nice as would a single seat A-12. However, the latter would require, at very least(among other changes) a whole new fuselage forward of the wing?

John

I built one too, and as I said it was a work of art for its day. I didn't realise you could still casually buy one — I would imagine it takes a very determined search knowing exactly what to look for and what you're buying.  

And on preliminary viewing the Revell is far better than the Italeri/Testors kit, and I bought both SR-71 boxings in the 1980s (the Italeri box being deceptively small, and the Testors coming in a giant box with low viz red decals). Now, that's not to say that the prospective Hypersonic-Gaspatch edition won't go one step further. 

The only plus for the Italeri/Testors kits was the option to build a twin-stick with the raised rear cockpit.

Tony

• Like 1