1/48 - Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird by Revell - released - upgrade sets by Hypersonic Models & ResKit - LASRE conv. set by BAM Models

Homebee

2 hours ago, Eivind Lunde said:

I will certainly buy one if it is a good kit, but life has taught me again and again that I am usually in the minority when it comes to the subjects that interest me.

We share a common bond. I too am probably in the minority regarding kits that I'm enthused about. 1/72 C-124, 1/48 F-86H, 1/32 B-58A and some other little recognized airplanes do excite me and I maintain the dream that some day the kits will be produced. Yes, I said dream. And we modelers do that. That's part of what makes the hobby so fascinating. "Ain't gonna happen" is a phrase we dreamers take with a grain of salt. And it's great when, seemingly out of nowhere, some company decides to make that kit we've been longing for.  

• Like 2

I think the Blackbird's more popular than some people think.   Most people who build kits are older blokes and amongst these older aircraft enthusiasts the Blackbird's very well known and liked because of it's beautiful shape.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SAT69 said:

We share a common bond. I too am probably in the minority regarding kits that I'm enthused about. 1/72 C-124, 1/48 F-86H, 1/32 B-58A and some other little recognized airplanes do excite me and I maintain the dream that some day the kits will be produced. Yes, I said dream. And we modelers do that. That's part of what makes the hobby so fascinating. "Ain't gonna happen" is a phrase we dreamers take with a grain of salt. And it's great when, seemingly out of nowhere, some company decides to make that kit we've been longing for.  

Actually all the kits you mention have been produced in the past. Of course resin or vacuform but they have been available and some may also still be available (Tigger's 1/32 Hustler). Today vacuform kits are almost a relic of the past but in the meantime 3D printed kits are becoming more and more available, meaning that there is always chance for the modeller interested in something out of the ordinary to have the kit they desire.

Different story of course for those who would like something really out of the ordinary from a mainstream manufacturer like Revell.

3 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Actually all the kits you mention have been produced in the past. Of course resin or vacuform but they have been available and some may also still be available (Tigger's 1/32 Hustler). Today vacuform kits are almost a relic of the past but in the meantime 3D printed kits are becoming more and more available, meaning that there is always chance for the modeller interested in something out of the ordinary to have the kit they desire.

Different story of course for those who would like something really out of the ordinary from a mainstream manufacturer like Revell.

You're quite correct, but they're not in injection molded form. I haven't tried vacuform nor resin. Having come back to modeling after a 20 year absence, I'm still trying to get truly comfortable building injection molded kits. And I've been back more than a year.

53 minutes ago, Mike said:

Are we there yet?  Can I have my new tool SR-71 now please?  I'll be good :)

Pre-ordable 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/RV4967

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/lockheed-sr71-blackbird-expected-october-2021-revell-04967-scale-modelling/product/?action=prodinfo&art=180397

Cheers,

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

Didn't we see the engine shots a few months ago? Feel like I saw them before.

Would add that the UK RRP will be going up by £5 (Revell prices across the board by 5-10% from 1st August) by the time it arrives.

On 4/30/2021 at 4:24 AM, Thomas V. said:

from CAD to actual tool production being slashed by as much as 100% from even five years ago, highly sophisticated software being at the forefront of radical price cuts.

Ermmmm..... Doesn't stating that something has been slashed by 100% suggest that it is now non-existent? To imply that injection-tool production is now effectively free seems very unlikely. The metal used to make the moulds, the staff wages to get it to a useable state, tweeking parameters, all the materials involved, etc, etc..... they can't be free (even in the People's Republic of China). 

Not intending to be a smart-bottom here - just making an observation. 

Chris. 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 5:08 PM, spruecutter96 said:

Ermmmm..... Doesn't stating that something has been slashed by 100% suggest that it is now non-existent? To imply that injection-tool production is now effectively free seems very unlikely. The metal used to make the moulds, the staff wages to get it to a useable state, tweeking parameters, all the materials involved, etc, etc..... they can't be free (even in the People's Republic of China). 

Not intending to be a smart-bottom here - just making an observation. 

Chris. 

If viewing in pure mathematical terms-right you are, but I am comparing values to set figures of yesteryear. But to better illustrate with semi public info- without breaching any professional or friendly confidence with other examples , Airfix Typhoon in 1/24 scale

from start to finish cost Hornby app.30.000+ £ ( thirty, not three hundred ), and excellent sales saved the company for few months in winter 2014/5, 

Now one has to take into account that Airfix outsources tooling production( not development, but production), and has already well oiled processes-that does shed costs.

So 1/24 Typhoon with all of detail intricacies, number of parts, etc....30K £ ( highest I heard all inclusive app.35K £). , that without having tooling production in house....compare that to sums cited by few,  supra proliferation of new kits last years and dwindling number of production runs...

Edited by Thomas V.

On 6/28/2021 at 1:04 PM, SAT69 said:

You're quite correct, but they're not in injection molded form. I haven't tried vacuform nor resin. Having come back to modeling after a 20 year absence, I'm still trying to get truly comfortable building injection molded kits. And I've been back more than a year.

Enjoy the hobby my friend. We're all different - a friend can machine up exquisite parts for all metal live steam models. He brought a plastic kit of one and struggles with it. Horses for courses. This site is friendly and helpful and Mike and the Minions will get the big stamping boots out when needed. If you're interested in a subject then ask in the relevant area for kit recommendations, some kits are more user friendly than others.

SR-71 Yes, please. The trainer option would be good too. Awesome aircraft - once heard never forgotten. Happy days at Mildenhall. 

• Like 3

On 6/28/2021 at 5:08 PM, spruecutter96 said:

all the materials involved, etc, etc..... they can't be free (even in the People's Republic of China)

And they are very far from being free. At the moment there is a shortage of... cardboard. Yes, seriously, cardboard shortages are causing delays in deliveries, and on top of that cardboard has become more expensive. The raw material for frame injection, printing and many other factors affecting the price of a model have also become very expensive over the last year.

• Like 1

Design was done in the FRoG, same person who had designed the U VII and the 1/32 FW 190, Ar 196, PA-18 and others. Regrettably the designer had passed away earlier this year.

The tool shop is located in Asia.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, hopkp said:

Is the long-promised Hypersonic/Gaspatch 1/48 SR-71 kit still on the go as well as the Revell one?

I found this on Facebook but no recent mention of the SR-71 project.  https://www.facebook.com/pg/hypersonicmodels/posts/

The last mention of the SR-71 was last year.

5 hours ago, hopkp said:

Is the long-promised Hypersonic/Gaspatch 1/48 SR-71 kit still on the go as well as the Revell one?

Very well is. Currently working on large parts splits and integrating all the various sub-assembly CAD's (which are basically ready) into one, or more than one, for different versions. Gaspatch were extremely busy finalising their ME 163 kit but now finally work on the SR-71 is rolling. No, we won't beat Revell on time but I think our kits will offer things you won't find in R's kit, with a different approach.

But that's all for now, this is a Revell thread...more on either my FB or in a separate thread on here.

Cheers,

Jeffrey

• Like 3

8 hours ago, hopkp said:

Thread is here: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234990411-148-lockheed-sr-71a-blackbird-by-hypersonic-gaspatch-models-3d-renders-in-progress/&do=findComment&comment=4128925

V.P.

On 7/2/2021 at 5:21 AM, Thomas V. said:

Airfix Typhoon in 1/24 scale

from start to finish cost Hornby app.30.000+ £ ( thirty, not three hundred ), and excellent sales saved the company for few months in winter 2014/5, 

Now one has to take into account that Airfix outsources tooling production( not development, but production), and has already well oiled processes-that does shed costs.

So 1/24 Typhoon with all of detail intricacies, number of parts, etc....30K £ ( highest I heard all inclusive app.35K £). , that without having tooling production in house....compare that to sums cited by few,  supra proliferation of new kits last years and dwindling number of production runs...

Not discrediting your sources but that is astonishing, to say the least. A kit of the size and complexity of the 1:24 Typhoon would be in the £150k region, minimum, based on what I know and the prices I get quoted. If that was really true then Airfix have got some real bottom bargain basement prices there, out of reach of anyone else and I wager that this is perhaps not industry representative and transferrable to other companies and kits... Wow!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

Very well is. Currently working on large parts splits and integrating all the various sub-assembly CAD's (which are basically ready) into one, or more than one, for different versions. Gaspatch were extremely busy finalising their ME 163 kit but now finally work on the SR-71 is rolling. No, we won't beat Revell on time but I think our kits will offer things you won't find in R's kit, with a different approach.

But that's all for now, this is a Revell thread...more on either my FB or in a separate thread on here.

Cheers,

Jeffrey

I think both kits will find their audience, as I assume their approach to the subject will be quite different. 

I'll most likely end up buying both 😁

• Like 1

From my knowledge the same tool shop. As far as I understand the biz the"main contractiing tool shop" sometimes has several sub contractors which explains variation in quality. The Beau was doubtless the best result up to now. If only the 32nd Mustang had the same quality, the design was easily on par with Tam (although less complex).

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ka-Efka said:

I think both kits will find their audience, as I assume their approach to the subject will be quite different. 

I'll most likely end up buying both 😁

I suspect that I will too.....

11 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

Cheers,

Jeffrey

Great to hear this.....

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird by Revell - 3D renders+test shots - release October 2021

First impressions... wrong size, shape, etc. the nose looks too nosey, the engines look too enginey, why is the plastic grey? No one ever uses grey plastic, not even for grey plastic things. And that round thing is the wrong kind of round. Just getting my tuppence worth in first... LOL!! :rofl:😜

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 10
  • Sad 1