1/48 - Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird by Revell - released - upgrade sets by Hypersonic Models & ResKit - LASRE conv. set by BAM Models

Homebee

8 hours ago, k5054nz said:

I don't want to derail the thread but I just wanted to advise this nonbeliever is now praying for the above.

Complete with XAIM-47's and peeps in silver Gemini era suits, chrome plated.

For now, just wondering exactly how huge the SR-71A box will be. Revell like big boxes.

Tony 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Alan P said:

I'm ready :eat:

Going to do a build log from the point of view of someone who really wants to build one, rather than to find out what's wrong with it 🤔

You and me both Alan!

Some AM seats and decals will do me nicely.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Alan P said:

I'm ready :eat:

Going to do a build log from the point of view of someone who really wants to build one, rather than to find out what's wrong with it 🤔

21 hours ago, DaveJL said:

You and me both Alan!

Some AM seats and decals will do me nicely.

When you do, please post WIP threads and after action reports.

There are a lot of us with soft spots for the SR-71 who are keen. But for such a large and impractical model that they're charring premium prices for it needs to be of a reasonable quality to justify it. Exactly what level that is will vary from person to person, but being able to make an informed decision would be a big help. It takes a certain degree of bravery to be one of the first.

I don't mean to bring snobbery into this. I don't demand that be the world's greatest model for me to buy it, but something that big that's going to take up that much space in my collection can't be a piece of sh*t that's a chore to produce an acceptable result.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gidge said:

I don't demand that be the world's greatest model for me to buy it, but something that big that's going to take up that much space in my collection can't be a piece of sh*t that's a chore to produce an acceptable result.

That's very much a horses for courses thing then, I like something impressive that's taken a bit of effort to build, otherwise I might as well stick to Lego.

Look out for my build log, I've cleared a space in November and December to build this. But if it does turn out like the Super Hornet, I'll still have fun building it and it'll be a nice display model regardless.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Alan P said:

That's very much a horses for courses thing then, I like something impressive that's taken a bit of effort to build, otherwise I might as well stick to Lego.

Look out for my build log, I've cleared a space in November and December to build this. But if it does turn out like the Super Hornet, I'll still have fun building it and it'll be a nice display model regardless.

Absolutely right. Everyone line in the sand is going to be different. I like to be challenged and will put in more work for a better result. However I like to be challenged for the right reasons. I'm happy to struggle working with tiny intricate detail, but I don't like fighting quality of manufacture issues that shouldn't be there in the first place. Especially on a brand new premium product built on new tooling.

If it were an old kit or a budget kit I would have a very different set of expectations. But if a manufacturer is charging that kind of money it's reasonable for us as consumers to expect engineering and quality of manufacture to match up to the price.

The greater the price, the higher our expectations should be. This is going to be one of the most expensive 48 scale kits on the market so it's reasonable to expect quality of a similar standard to similarly priced 48 scale kits. Even if we factor in its size and decide it's more appropriate to compare it to 32 scale kits it's still got some impressivecompetitionto answer to for the money. 

We haven't even seen the kit yet. Yes we've seen built up examples but an in-depth build review is still in the near future. Let's wait for that, please?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MarcV said:

Out of interest, why do you reckon the kit's not for Gidge?

Hi Marc,

I thought he expressed himself very clearly. This Revell kit probably isn't going to meet his preference for quality at the price point being offered.

Aside from that it was a tongue in cheek comment intended for him, and I'm not sure why you're asking, following your very pointed comments above. I've no axe to grind here. My philosophy is pretty open regarding these repetitive discussions regarding new kits - if you want one, you'll buy one. If you don't want one, you won't. No need for either of those groups to tread on the other, it's an entirely subjective choice, however you try to frame it.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Damn good work if so. Would make Industrial Light & Magic proud!

Well the lighting in the cockpit is very much screwed up... Hope ILM is better than that 😉

Come on Revell, release that thing now 😁

On 10/21/2021 at 7:13 PM, MarcV said:

Over at Dogg's models, he puts it better than I do and encapsul;ates perfectly some people at BM and other sites - fun to read:
https://doogsmodels.com/2021/06/18/airplanes-assholes/

Now can we get back on topic and stop acting like a bunch of old women?

Marc.

What a load of stuff that I'd rather not mention on a family-friendly forum...

Annoying people of every kind exist in all communities while the vast majority is friendly and only glad to help. Just have a browse through the many pages and posts of this forum and you'll see it !

Now back to the Revell kit, since this thread is supposed to be about this kit and nothing else....

• Like 8

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird by Revell - 3D renders+test shots+box art+sprues - release November 2021
On 10/22/2021 at 8:44 PM, Scooby said:

I like the first rendition of the box art far more than what is shown at Phase Hangar.

I agree, the PH rendition reminds me a lot of US Revell box art. Not complaining, just an observation.

• Like 1