1/48 - Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird by Revell - released - upgrade sets by Hypersonic Models & ResKit - LASRE conv. set by BAM Models

Homebee

14 hours ago, SAT69 said:

SR-71 experts, please enlighten me. There's quite a gap where the upper wing meets the engine nacelle.; also a gap behind the pitot tube. Neither looks right to me.

The indents behind the nose pitot are a by-product of the jet's 1970s electronic warfare upgrade. Early SR-71s had smooth chines. 

The gaps between the inner wings and nacelles should be filled, but I suspect that this kit was built for show purposes and to come apart for packing.

HTH

Tony 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So it is.

Molds are ready and packed and queing up in the long line of containers and goods in a Chinese harbour. Release in October is in question more likely November.

Reagards

Andreas Beck

• Like 3

On 25/08/2021 at 13:07, hopkp said:

All very interesting, I'm sure, if you speak fluent German.....

🙂 Just a very brief summary: There is quite a lot of talk about the real thing and the general design process of a plastic kit- quite interesting in itself and some funny stories but nothing I need to write down here.

The kit is based on the Duxford SR-71 which is the only SR-71 outside the USA and which is maybe interesting when discussion starts about the details. As Duxford shows the engine on a stand this was used as reference for the kit as well. As all original plans were destroyed long ago, one could draw the conclusion, that any variation to the airframe and cockpit will not be included as alternate parts (not to speak of SR-71B/C). Somewhat later however the Product Manager told that non-original plans and photos were used as well.

The kit itself has inner reinforcements and is "quite heavy". The instructions will give Revell Colour #09 as the overall colour but it is quite clear that this is not the definite answer 🙂

Plastic parts and decals for 4 versions - I bet all black 😞 😉 are ready. The instructions and box are now created.

Eckhardt Weber the Designer of the kit died in February and this kit should be his master piece according to the product manager who also build a test shot (he says the product manager has to build every new product before release - my application papers are sent).

I suppose what I wrote above will sound a bit thin but there was really not that much info on the 2021 Revell highlight but more on the Lockheed masterpiece itself. Revell has learned to keep us interested 😄

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, ABeck said:

So it is.

Molds are ready and packed and queing up in the long line of containers and goods in a Chinese harbour. Release in October is in question more likely November.

Reagards

Andreas Beck

spacer.png

A November release would be great. Hey Santa Claus, are you following this thread?

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, SAT69 said:

SR-71 experts, please enlighten me. There's quite a gap where the upper wing meets the engine nacelle.; also a gap behind the pitot tube. Neither looks right to me.

Just took this a couple of weeks ago of the SR-71 at Palmdale:

51402116211_0ee3ecd54e_h.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Source: https://www.facebook.com/Revell/posts/4523525017692898:0

Hier kommt eine neue Episode vom Revell Podcast. In dieser Episode haben wir uns mit unserem Produkt-Manager Volker Vahle zusammen gesetzt und über die Entstehung der Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird gesprochen. Viel Spaß beim reinhören. Euch gefällt der Podcast, dann lasst doch bitte ein Kommentar oder ein Like da.

Hier könnt Ihr Euch die aktuelle Episode anhören: https://fcld.ly/dulkc8j

Unseren Podcast findet Ihr auch auf Spotify, Apple Podcast, Google Podcast uvm.

Here comes a new episode of the Revell podcast. In this episode, we sat down with our product manager Volker Vahle and talked about the emergence of the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird. Have fun listening in. You like the podcast, then please leave a comment or a like.

Listen to the current episode here: https://fcld.ly/dulkc8j

You can also find our podcast on Spotify, Apple Podcast, Google Podcast and much more.

240791312-4523525037692896-1622370667730

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4

I still want one and will have one, shape and outline wise, it looks good to me, if all I have to do is use a little filler between upper wing and engine nacelle then for me and speaking for myself only, that's a non issue.

Bring it on.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, One 48 said:

...shape and outline wise, it looks good to me, if all I have to do is use a little filler between upper wing and engine nacelle then for me and speaking for myself only that's a non issue.

I agree that it looks OK shape/outline-wise and like you I've no particular issue having to use a bit of filler here and there. However, for me it'll also have to have a decent level of detail in the cockpit and wheel wells before I'll part with the kind of money that's being talked about; I'll also be completely uninterested if it turns out to be as 'challenging' as the 1/32 F/A-18E!

I'll be awaiting the detailed reviews with great interest.....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hopkp said:

I agree that it looks OK shape/outline-wise and like you I've no particular issue having to use a bit of filler here and there. However, for me it'll also have to have a decent level of detail in the cockpit and wheel wells before I'll part with the kind of money that's being talked about; I'll also be completely uninterested if it turns out to be as 'challenging' as the 1/32 F/A-18E!

I'll be awaiting the detailed reviews with great interest.....

I'll be doing mine canopy closed and doubt much cockpit detail will be seen, is the real detail unclassified now? probably is, but in this scale and canopy closed  doubt much will be visible, but do hope its sufficient OOB for most of us, if not am sure there will be AM that 99.9% of aircraft kits seem to need :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, One 48 said:

I'll be doing mine canopy closed and doubt much cockpit detail will be seen, is the real detail unclassified now? probably is, but in this scale and canopy closed  doubt much will be visible, but do hope its sufficient OOB for most of us, if not am sure there will be AM that 99.9% of aircraft kits seem to need :)

You're right, with the canopy closed I doubt much of anything would be seen except maybe the seat headrests! However, I've always been a dedicated 'canopy open' modeller; besides, I've already got the Hypersonic kit for the AG-330 start cart and I'm living in hope that someone (LP Models, maybe?) might do a boarding platform too.....well, I can dream, can't I??!!

I'm pretty sure that full views of the SR-71's cockpit interiors are in the public domain at this stage, at least there are several shots in a few of the (many!) books on the Blackbird that I've collected over the years. I'm sure you're also right when you suggest that the aftermarket guys will provide anything missing from the kit, but for the reported €89 asking price I think that Revell could reasonably be expected to provide something at least half decent?

• Like 1

I have seen pictures of the crew for these and they look very cool in their space suits so if we have a boarding ladder and start cart we certainly need a crew figure and a couple support people.  I am very excited about this release and sincerely hope Revell does very well with this.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, One 48 said:

I'll be doing mine canopy closed and doubt much cockpit detail will be seen, is the real detail unclassified now? 

My local library has two versions of the SR-71 Flight Manual available for public lending, so I think we're good 😁

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nocoolname said:

Looks like an SR-71.

1/48 scale.

2021 tooling with modern details.

I know how to use Zap-a-Gap.

🙂

Until you mentioned it, I didn't even know what Zap-a-Gap was, but I surely do now (looked it up on the 'net) and it's on my hobby shopping list!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

Looks like an SR-71.

1/48 scale.

2021 tooling with modern details.

I know how to use Zap-a-Gap.

🙂

Well, to (mis)quote the old saying, four out of five ain't bad! It certainly looks like an SR-71, it's definitely 1/48 scale and a 2021 tooling, I can use filler.....but I think the jury's probably still out on the 'modern details' bit, as no-one's posted any pics. of them yet! 😄

• Like 2

On 8/28/2021 at 12:53 PM, One 48 said:

You've been able to sit in an SR-71 cockpit at Seattle's Museum of Flight for at least 20 years - I have a photo of me in it somewhere. 

• Like 2

On 8/30/2021 at 6:14 PM, Paul Bradley said:

You've been able to sit in an SR-71 cockpit at Seattle's Museum of Flight for at least 20 years - I have a photo of me in it somewhere. 

Apologies for the deployment of the high adenoides, but the aircraft at the Seattle Musuem of Flight is not a SR-71 but an M-21, itself a rare two seat variant of the A-12. I am however insanely envious that you have got to sit in its cockpit, I was supposed to enjoy that experience last year, but unfortunately the Rona put paid to that (as well as, on the same trip, flying to Dayton, Ohio to see the YF-12A - I've made it my mission to see every variant of the Blackbird) 

A dear friend of mine was heavily involved in getting that aircraft ready for display, his company recreating the pod the the D-21 drone sits on and the stands that secure the aircraft, amongst other things. 

52 minutes ago, March said:

Apologies for the deployment of the high adenoides, but the aircraft at the Seattle Musuem of Flight is not a SR-71 but an M-21, itself a rare two seat variant of the A-12. I am however insanely envious that you have got to sit in its cockpit, I was supposed to enjoy that experience last year, but unfortunately the Rona put paid to that (as well as, on the same trip, flying to Dayton, Ohio to see the YF-12A - I've made it my mission to see every variant of the Blackbird) 

A dear friend of mine was heavily involved in getting that aircraft ready for display, his company recreating the pod the the D-21 drone sits on and the stands that secure the aircraft, amongst other things. 

The Museum of Flight seems to think it's an SR-71 - you might want to contact them:

https://www.museumofflight.org/Exhibits/cockpits