1/48 - Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird by Revell - released - upgrade sets by Hypersonic Models & ResKit - LASRE conv. set by BAM Models

Homebee

• 2 weeks later...

Source: https://www.facebook.com/hypersonicmodels/posts/pfbid02FHr1XSRLqgLwwHydAT2Dp5QaGKnoqwZhBTGGLVzHPEYCkLANtXoBbqLjFhVhykWfl

Hi Blackbird fans - after the seats, here is now the second release for Revell's 1:48 kit: a full set of wheels (yes, all 8 of them).

Product link: https://www.hypersonicmodels.com/product/sr-71-wheels-revell

Each of the six main wheels is subtly different so they are numbered 1-6 and should be used in their designated position. All outside and inside wheel hubs have full and accurate detail. You will notice that I have refrained from tyre sidewall writing and detail. The writing on the SR-71 tyres is very small and in my opinion, in 1:48 this would have been just way overscale with what can be achieved cleanly by 3D printing. Close, but not quite yet. I much prefer a clean tyre in this case and scale.

The set includes the anti-skid generator brackets in fine PE with etched bend grooves at the back. (Yes, I know it says "48044" on the PE fret while the actual product SKU is 48045... it was too late when I saw the error...)

Further, two lengths of brass tubing are included as the kit's plastic axles are just really bad. The brass axles have the same diameter as the holes on the Revell struts (and obviously the resin wheels as well). A set of paint masks is included too.

More stuff is in the works

Many thanks! 

280130133-346925330757914-16437548367858
280288359-346925304091250-50043473390275
280313713-346925357424578-20621739221277

V.P.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, MarcV said:

Nice,

But I guess the conclusion is that Hypersonic will not be producing the SR-71 in 1/48 themselves.

Not so - according to a post on Hypersonic's Facebook page about accessories for the Revell kit, their own 1/48 SR-71 kit is still very much going ahead:

"Apart from the wheels and seats, I am working on two more sets that will offer some nice additional options but otherwise we will concentrate our efforts on making the GasPatch/Hypersonic Models SR-71 kit as good as we possibly can. I still can't give you a time line, but I have high hopes that during the course of this year we will make substantial advances so that we will be in a position to offer more information."

22 hours ago, hopkp said:

Not so - according to a post on Hypersonic's Facebook page about accessories for the Revell kit, their own 1/48 SR-71 kit is still very much going ahead:

"Apart from the wheels and seats, I am working on two more sets that will offer some nice additional options but otherwise we will concentrate our efforts on making the GasPatch/Hypersonic Models SR-71 kit as good as we possibly can. I still can't give you a time line, but I have high hopes that during the course of this year we will make substantial advances so that we will be in a position to offer more information."

That would be good!

That's a good business strategy for Hypersonic. The upgrades give them an income stream to continue development of the whole kit, and also show the quality of their work.

• Like 1

Hi guys

The undercarriage is now drawn, needs to be printed and checked, then brass parts sent to casters. 
All being well and some design change you will be able to install the undercarriage after main assembly and painting of model, added to that a much stronger set of undercarriage.

BE12C7DF-5AD7-4EE8-AC7C-EABF3D61239C

A552013C-EE7A-40AA-9E61-2749BA0F1D55

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2022 at 3:49 PM, Ali62 said:

All being well and some design change you will be able to install the undercarriage after main assembly and painting of model, added to that a much stronger set of undercarriage.

Looks very nice. But as far as I see from the real aircraft pictures both sides have the same torque link orientation. Here are some pictures from my ongoing project:

2985.jpg

2986.jpg

2973.jpg

Serkan

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Looks very nice. But as far as I see from the real aircraft pictures both sides have the same torque link orientation:

2985.jpg

2986.jpg

2973.jpg

Serkan

They do have the same orientation on the real aircraft and as far as I can see they do on the images above.

• 2 months later...