1/48 - Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird by Revell - released - upgrade sets by Hypersonic Models & ResKit - LASRE conv. set by BAM Models

Homebee

I realize this is a test shot assembled, but the wing to engine nacelle fit leaves something to be desired and the fit of the nacelle parts isn't too encouraging either, from the looks of it. But then, perhaps that's what test shots are for, to smooth out the roughness so that the finished kit is of a high standard. Given some of Revell's latest releases though, I have to wonder. Pardon the negativity but I have high hopes for this one.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, B.sin said:

I hope landing gear is included!

You can see some wheels in the bottom left of the kerplunk! sprue dump, next to the inlet spike. 

Looks nice. Just parts for an A judging by the clear bits (and no camera windows) so it'll make a superb 1980s era ASARS jet.

A must-buy. Looks the biz Revell. (Already dreaming of a YF-12 to go with it)

Tony 

• Like 2

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird by Revell - 3D renders+test shots+box art - release October 2021
On 8/4/2021 at 10:51 PM, SAT69 said:

Given some of Revell's latest releases though, I have to wonder.

We all know about the issues with the 1/32 F/A-18. Are there any other recent Revell releases that should be avioded? 

Cheers. 

Chris. 

• Like 1

Ah yes! Can't wait!

10 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

Are there any other recent Revell releases that should be avoided? 

Incredibly subjective question. I quite enjoyed the 1/32 F/A-18E, will be first in the queue for the F when it's released.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

I'd like to state that none of the above was intended, in any way, as a personal dig so,you have my unreserved apologies if it seemed that way.

I was speaking in general terms only.🙂

No offence taken, whatsoever. I fully understand where you're coming from. 

Some modellers love to tackle "challenging" kits. Personally, I don't. For the most part, if I start to find a kit an uphill struggle, then my enthusiasm for it flags very quickly indeed. I'm fully aware that this makes me a lazy builder, but I'm too long-in-the-tooth to change my ways, unfortunately. I've always said that you should enjoy this hobby at your own level. If you like what you build then that's all you can really hope for. It's good to aspire to build better, but not all of us were made to be Shep Paine or Francois Verlinden (remember them?). 

Chris.    

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

I have to reach for my favourite bottle of Laphroaig

Er, would you mind being a little bit more specific?

Please?

S.

1 hour ago, spruecutter96 said:

Some modellers love to tackle "challenging" kits. Personally, I don't. For the most part, if I start to find a kit an uphill struggle, then my enthusiasm for it flags very quickly indeed. 

Completely understand, Chris. The 'your hobby, your choice' thing very much counts.

47 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

I think my biggest problem is that whenever someone complains about how "unbuildable/impossible" a kit is, I  have to buy it just to show them otherwise!  Some character flaw! 🤣

I totally get this, must be the bloody-minded individualist in me 😂

There is plenty of evidence in the shape of massively misfitting F-18’s all over the internet combined with plenty of text discussing this kits issues.

The sheer number shows its far from people over hyping that kits issues.

Now even Revell guys where forthcoming with excuses about several changes during development that lead to the issues which are far from small.

Some of the guys me included have been building kits for a long time.

Anyway on the SR im just hoping for the first time we get a dimensionally accurate SR with a proper width chine. So far only Italeri has gotten close and that was in the 80’s.

No other SR has been dimensionally correct in any scale except the 72nd Monogram kit which got the chine right but flattened the fuse top giving a very squashed front end.

Cmon Revell hopefully the SR is like JU-88 an accurate great building kit.

• Like 1

Hi,

I too would appreciate getting back on topic.

Not too interested if people enjoy well or badly engineered kits more - at least not in this thread.

Innocent until proven guilty - let's give the kit the benefit of the doubt for now.

Thanks (probably get flak for this).

Edited by MarcV
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

In the Revell homepage - ref. 04967 - Lockheed SR-71A Blackbird

Price: 89,99 € incl. VAT

Sources: 

https://www.revell.de/en/produkte/modellbau/flugzeuge/militaer-modern-revell/lockheed-sr-71-a-blackbird.html

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/RV4967

04967-lockheed-sr-71-blackbird-07.jpg

RV4967-1.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 5

SR-71 experts, please enlighten me. There's quite a gap where the upper wing meets the engine nacelle.; also a gap behind the pitot tube. Neither looks right to me.

At the price Revell is asking for this, and considering what it will cost to ship to the USA, there is no way I will buy one sight unseen. I’m definitely going to wait for a several in-depth reviews first.

• Like 3