1/48 - Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird by Revell - released - upgrade sets by Hypersonic Models & ResKit - LASRE conv. set by BAM Models

Homebee

4 hours ago, Mike said:

EDIT: Maybe I'll finally find a use for my Black 3.0, which is the blackest black you can buy over the counter/internet :ninja:

But is it blacker than a Spinal Tap album cover..?

8 hours ago, DarrenH said:

No hyperbole just go take a look at the unfinished online builds where people just throw it all in a corner never to be touched again.

Well, how about a successful finished build of the same kit, which surely would be a better indicator than one which got thrown out of the pram? Here's mine, took me two weeks to build. Definitely not the worst kit ever produced in 45 years.

Horses for courses, I suppose. I'll definitely be after an SR-71 regardless.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Well, how about a successful finished build of the same kit, which surely would be a better indicator than one which got thrown out of the pram? Here's mine, took me two weeks to build. Definitely not the worst kit ever produced in 45 years.

Horses for courses, I suppose. I'll definitely be after an SR-71 regardless.

Outstanding work on the Super Hornet!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Hook said:

But is it blacker than a Spinal Tap album cover..?

Yes. Allowing for the effect of sunlight on said cover, but if you'd like to test my hypothesis, send me a copy and I'll splatter it with Black 3.0, which will prove it's 11 on the black scale  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Mike said:

Yes. Allowing for the effect of sunlight on said cover, but if you'd like to test my hypothesis, send me a copy and I'll splatter it with Black 3.0, which will prove it's 11 on the black scale  :)

That's indeed one blacker than 10, innit!

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, IT_Man said:

I've received notification of the UK RRP for this kit from John at Models2U - £84.99 (but they have 10% off that) and due in October! It will be a lot of plastic for sure!

https://www.models2u.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p15646_SR-71_A_Blackbird.html

I can't wait until October? I want it now!!!!!! I want to build it and display it next to my B-58:

spacer.png

And yes, my B-58 is finished in Bare Metal Foil 😁

• Like 10

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird (new tool) by Revell - release October 2021

The release seems ready for this year, and hopefully they have had a good research team working on the profile and details of the Sled. 1:48th to boot!!! Yay.

On 7/12/2020 at 11:55 PM, spruecutter96 said:

I've been told by Colonel Rich Graham (a retired SR-71 pilot) that the very dark blue urban myth is not accurate. The Blackbird is very definitely black.

Some decades back it was called "high-emissivity blue" which was indistinguishable from black to the human eye.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Radpoe Spitfire said:

Could this be a re release of the old Testors/Italeri offering, or is it a genuine new tool?

Its a new tool. scheduled release is this Fall preorder about $110US

13 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

Its a new tool. scheduled release is this Fall preorder about $110US

Ooooo........sounds good, I've seen the Testorskit offered at close to £100. It wasn't a bad kit when I bought one in the 1980's but it wouldn't meet modern tool standards at those sort of prices.

• 3 weeks later...

Source: https://www.facebook.com/Revell/posts/3948300105215395

SR-71 Blackbird: Our „Grey Project“

In 2021, we will release a very special model. A project that, like its legendary role model in reality, was also a "Grey Project" for us at Revell, which initially flew under the radar.

By the way: Here you find all our recent products: https://www.revell.de/en/

Planning already began in 2019 to bring you the Lockheed SR-71 in 1:48 scale on the workbench. A machine that was also started as a "Grey Project".

WHY "GREY PROJECT"?

Of course, the A-12 as a predecessor or development base and also the Blackbird itself were at first top secret "Black Projects", about which nothing came to the public. And if they did, their existence was completely denied until the official launch. The F-117 Nighthawk and also the B-2 Spirit are examples of this kind of projects, officially called SAP - Special Access Program by US military and government.

The projects are financed with - who would have thought it: black budget. By the way, the 2019 U.S. budget request for secret projects was over $80 billion. Of that, almost $60 billion was for National Intelligence Program, which stands for non-military applications. Let's hope that we can continue to produce results that are suitable for model building.

THE SECRET IS OUT

In 1964, the election year, the secret about the SR-71 was revealed - at least partially - after 5 years of development on various preliminary projects (A-12, M21, A-11, YF-12A). The aircraft went from being the Black Project to the Grey Project. Initially, U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson announced to the public the aircraft based on the YF-12A as a long-range fighter after his Republican opponent election campaign pressured him that the U.S. would fall behind the Soviet Union technologically. The YF-12A continued to serve as a cover for the still-secret A-12.

The new reconnaissance aircraft would then be unveiled in a July 1964 campaign speech. U.S. Air Force General Curtis LeMay preferred the designation SR-71 instead of the RS-71 code that had been used internally.

WHY THE SECRECY?

The latter would have given the public more information about the purpose of the aircraft via reconnaissance:

- SR = Strategic Reconnaissance / Strategische Aufklärung.

- RS = Reconnaissance/Strike / reconnaissance and bomber

According to legend, LeMay had the script of the speech changed from RS to SR at the last moment. However, the first versions had already been released to the press, in which RS was still mentioned. This gave rise to the story that the president had misread the script.

Moreover, President Johnson always spoke only of the A-11 when referring to the existence of a high-speed, extreme-altitude reconnaissance aircraft, thus concealing the existence of an aircraft designated A-12.

OUR REVELL GREY PROJECT

Ok. Is your head spinning now just like ours was when we were researching the story behind the creation of our new product?

Even if we didn't have to be quite so extremely secretive, the launch of the SR-71 Blackbird is a first for Revell too. Alright, our "Black Budget" doesn't quite match that of the US government either But more on that later.

You will be able to follow the completion of the kit in the coming months. You can find all the new posts about the SR-71 under the hashtag #RevellGreyProject:

V.P.

Keen to find out more I typed #RevellGreyProject into Google and I got this: Your search - #RevellGreyProject - did not match any documents. Have I been suckered?

I have wanted a decent 1/48 Blackbird for years. The Testors version just seemed like too much work. I hope Revell smashes this one out of the park and makes an absolute motza. If it makes a few modellers happier that would be nice to.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 8:00 AM, Johnny_K said:

Outstanding work on the Super Hornet!

Nice to see at least one person managed to get it together.

After my experience of mismatched engineering, poor design i sold my other 2.

Still the spine is still the wrong shape being almost square in criss section.

An excellent build here of the kit highlighting some of the many many issues of the original release.

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/80072-revell-super-hornet-with-lessons-learned/

Anyone saying this is an acceptable level of engineering really needs to build this kit.

Like the Tornado which needs an entirely different build sequence to the instructions avoid a litany of fit issues Revell need to look long and hard look at there engineering.

Another build highlighting not just engineering but the nose shape.

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/80153-revell-fa-18e-super-hornet-build/

Revell can do great work like the 262 Single seater and amazing Ju-88’s.

They better not screw the SR with horrendous design, poor fit and incorrect shapes.

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird by Revell - 1st 3D render - release October 2021