1/48 - Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird by Revell - released - upgrade sets by Hypersonic Models & ResKit - LASRE conv. set by BAM Models

Homebee

3 minutes ago, ABeck said:

First testshots late April. I hope they will not be published as ts1 always gives room for bad and evil rumoring. It is different with later testshots or test builds.

Can't argue with that. If they do want to share then I'll be happy with a long-to-medium shot that will at least hopefully just show a correct overall shape and disposition. That'll do me until the release announcement, or unless I learn to code some sort of news filter that can tune out the kind of 'accuracy bun-fight' that can often accompany such pictures, from the genuine manufacturer updates :wink:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

My only comment on this kit is " can we please also have a YF-12A Mr Revell? Pretty please with cherry on top"!

... and whipped cream and chocolate!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Beermonster1958 said:

I guess an  A-12 would be out of the question (I am aware there are notable differences).

Actually, the  disappointing thing  (for me) about the Revell kit is the choice of scale.

I would prefer to have seen it in the one true (1/72) scale!

However......! 😉

John

If the /148 scale version sells well enough, perhaps Revell will produce a new mold 1/72 scale version?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

I guess an  A-12 would be out of the question (I am aware there are notable differences).

Actually, the  disappointing thing  (for me) about the Revell kit is the choice of scale.

However......! 😉

John

Um... how many SR-71 kits in 1/72?

Academy?

Hasegawa?

Testors/Italeri?

Monogram/Revell?

How many SR-71 kits in 1/48?

Testors/Italeri

I'm sure there's room for another, shinier, 1/72 kit but lets at least allow just a second quarter scale kit to creep out of the stable doors first...? Hmmm...? 😉

• Like 6

I would like to see a complete 1/72 Blackbird family (A-12, M-12 and GTD-21, YF-12, SR-71 A and B ) accurate and with the same quality as the Meng F-106 !

A U-2/TR-1 Family would be also welcome in1/72 !

Edited by Violet Club
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Violet Club said:

I would like to see a complete 1/72 Blackbird family (A-12, M-12 and GTD-21, YF-12, SR-71 A and B ) accurate and with the same quality as the Meng F-106 !

A U-2/TR-1 Family would be also welcome in1/72 !

I hope you get to see it! And I hope the 48th scale folks get to see the same in their favorite scale. Reckon Meng could be persuaded to do a Blackbird series in 1/72 scale?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SAT69 said:

I hope you get to see it! And I hope the 48th scale folks get to see the same in their favorite scale. Reckon Meng could be persuaded to do a Blackbird series in 1/72 scale?

Well they snap out surprised us with their new tool Superbug so why not?

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 9:08 AM, Beermonster1958 said:

Oh, I don't know about that! 🤔😉. I kind of look forward to the posturing of the armchair "experts" and their cries of:

"that just looks wrong"

"unbuildable"

"fatally flawed"

"looks totally inaccurate in shape from the nose backwards"

"It's Revell so, it must be wrong"

Etc, etc and so forth!

I can almost guarantee this will end up as another LRTBIEP (Let's Rubbish This Before It's Even Produced) kit!.

Apologies for the cynicism folks!! Seen it happen all too often.  My only comment on this kit is " can we please also have a YF-12A Mr Revell? Pretty please with cherry on top"!

😉😂

John

And the best one:

"Is it just me or does the [insert random part] not look right?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 2/21/2021 at 2:49 PM, Beermonster1958 said:

However......! 😉

John

ModelCollect are doing both A-12's in 1/48 - the Oxcart version (which was announced on their Facebook page) and the US Navy prototype that is no relation to the Blackbird family other than in designation. There have been no updates as to the status of the project for a while though. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

With this ongoing discussion about the new tool SR-71 from Revell, you have intrigued my curiosity about whether this will be a good kit from many perspectives or, just another try from Revell to sell one of its kits.

Looking forward to it then!!!

Edited by Shalako

16 hours ago, March said:

ModelCollect are doing both A-12's in 1/48 - the Oxcart version (which was announced on their Facebook page) and the US Navy prototype that is no relation to the Blackbird family other than in designation. There have been no updates as to the status of the project for a while though. 

I checked their website and it appears the Oxcart is going to be in 1/72 scale. I saw no reference to one in 1/48 ... though I'd heartily welcome it if they did.

I guess the inevitable complaints of the typical Revell end opening box will be high on the list of negatives too :)

Must say though, really looking forward to this kit very much.

8 hours ago, SAT69 said:

I checked their website and it appears the Oxcart is going to be in 1/72 scale. I saw no reference to one in 1/48 ... though I'd heartily welcome it if they did.

When asked the scale on Facebook they responded confirming 1/48. Fingers crossed. :)

• 2 months later...

Source: https://www.facebook.com/Revell/posts/4160913980620672

First CAD of the legendary SR-71 Blackbird engines

178757520-4160912593954144-2787877234613

Do you a have a problem with the size of a 1/48th scale Blackbird kit? Let's have a look here: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1614563492083293&id=100005889732496

178958685-1614561742083468-7441498536924

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

Makes me wonder if the outer half of at least one nacelle, with the associated outer wing panel, will fold up to view the engine. I'm hoping this proves to be a truly awesome kit and a Blackbird enthusiast's dream come true!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Shalako said:

That's a lot of effort on a kit that still has a long way to go from being ready for sale, which makes me wonder what the price of it will be? £70+ maybe?

UK RRP is £84.99, I'll collect mine from Models2U when it arrives, they're offering for just over £76 (free UK delivery). Still not quite worked out where I'm going to put it! 

https://www.models2u.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p15646_SR-71_A_Blackbird.html

Edited by IT_Man
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, IT_Man said:

UK RRP is £84.99, I'll collect mine from Models2U when it arrives, they're offering for just over £76 (free UK delivery). Still not quite worked out where I'm going to put it! 

https://www.models2u.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p15646_SR-71_A_Blackbird.html

I know where I'll be putting mine. In the loft. With the rest. We scale model makers collectors have never had it so good 😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

14 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

I dont know if thats a good idea from Revell to make their SR-71 as expensive as a F-14 Tomcat from Tamiya. But i will not complain already, before the kit is available in the hobby shops.

You should, because after it hits the shelves it will be too late, in my view, with model size in mind, more than 60 euros is too much.

People were trashing the Italeri Tornado GR4 until it turned out to be a great kit, and so they started trashing it for its price. I'm sure Revell's Sled will be labelled a disappointment by the usual suspects, and even if it isn't, it'll be hammered for being too expensive. This kind of criticism will make it nicer for the rest of us who just want to build one.

Sadly I'm no longer shocked by the vitriol generated by 'bad' model kits. There's a small but noisy section of the internet for whom it's not enough just to not like the kit, they have to actively campaign to make sure nobody else likes it either. Well, I'll happily contribute to their ulcers if there's a decent build of a beloved subject involved 😉

Edit: I reserved a kit with Jumblies in Norwich for just a £5 deposit with a sale price of £71.95, top tip @LorenSharp 😉

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1