How can I make 20mm cannon barrels 1/72 scale

AltcarBoB

I am working on a Danish Fokker DXXI prototype with a pair of Madsen 20mm cannon mounted underwing in pods. The kits resin barrels are horrible and I cant find anything aftermarket on Google, not surprising really its not a common kit and it wasnt a common gun in its day.

How can I make the barrels preferably in Brass for sturdiness they dont need to be dead scale just something that looks the part.

spacer.png

Edited by AltcarBoB
spelling

Albion Alloys concentric Aluminium tube pack. and if you can find a suitable pack of 'Part' etch brass WW.1 Parabellum jackets for the rear part. For the blast muzzle brake, make lots of little indentaions with a scriber point and a wash of Black paint.

John

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, John Aero said:

Albion Alloys concentric Aluminium tube pack. and if you can find a suitable pack of 'Part' etch brass WW.1 Parabellum jackets for the rear part. For the blast muzzle make lots of little indentaions with a scriber point and a wash of Black paint.

John

Thanks for that I have googled Albion and I just need to work out what sizes I need to order. You wouldnt know what the scale outside diameter of the barrel would be by any chance, I was thinking the 1.0 mm but Albion do go smaller with solid rod according to the website.

13 minutes ago, FinnAndersen said:

I did 4 pieces for a hurricane once, using injection syringes cut to length. The  recoil springs were made of copper wire pressed flat and wrapped around the barrel.

Thanks for that it sounds brilliant but not sure where I would get syringes from I will have to try the Pharmacy.

10 minutes ago, AltcarBoB said:

Thanks for that it sounds brilliant but not sure where I would get syringes from I will have to try the Pharmacy.

That's were I got mine from.

The ones I used were 0.63 mm in outside diameter, which may be on the small side.

Edited by FinnAndersen
  • Like 1

I think that you will find all you need in a pack of Albion Alloys Alum tube concentric pack SFT3 .04 to 1 mm in four steps.

The pharmacy might just look a little sagely at you if you go in asking for hypodermic needles. The Alu tube is easy to cut by simply rolling it on a hard surface with a scalpel blade.

John

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, John Aero said:

The 20 mm Madsen gun had little success but the 23 mm version faired a little better being fitted to the Fokker G.1. I've looked in US Navy Bureau of Ordnance book but it does not illustrate that barrel version.

John

The 23mm Madsen was a beast a 175 gram (6 ounce) projectile containing 30 gram of explosive would make any plane have a very very bad day

4 minutes ago, John Aero said:

The pharmacy might just look a little sagely at you if you go in asking for hypodermic needles

You can tell by my svelte athletic beer belly that the only thing I might be injecting is Chocolate and Doughnuts 😂

• Like 1