Classic Airframes 1/48 Vampire T.35

Bell209

More drama - it turns out the leading edge paint isn't paint at all. A mate who learned to fly on Vampires told me last night that the leading edge paint is actually an erosion tape - I should've known as I've used this on other aircraft. That means I need to redo the black edges and touch up a couple of other areas before moving onto the wash, too. Sigh. 

• Like 1

Arrrggghhhh! This thing just doesn't want to be built! While masking the leading edges for touch-up, I managed to tear two more decals and had to redo those, too! I've never had this happen before on Future-coated decals. Luckily, a spare Seafire decal set and a very old Roodecal RAAF/RNZAF set (which performed flawlessly, despite its >30 year old life) provided the replacement roundel for the wing underside and a Tasman RAAF lettering set was an excellent match for the damaged external tank numbers.

No more masking and no more touch-ups! Leading edges touched up with a brush and the damaged aluminium paint can stay that way! Now a quick wash to highlight a few details and I'll be recoating with Future before fitting the wheels, top antenna and canopy. Unfortunately, I have two more Classic Airframes in the stash to do - a Meteor Mk.8 (which may well be replaced by the Airfix kit after this!) and a Fairey Gannet. They won't be high on the to-do list...

I just want this damn thing off my bench so I can concentrate on the next disaster project - the 1/72 SP-2H Neptune.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Rob  sorry to hear of the decslling woes whilst trying to sort out the leading edges.

On another thread for an AEW.3 Gannet  where masking over Decals was being discussed, someone came up with a wonderful idea of using wet paper as a mask, absolute genius.   Using the none sticky part of a post it note wet it sticks to the model to cover the decal and doesn't rip.  Amazing idea.

Hope you can get sorted okay

Chris

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

...someone came up with a wonderful idea of using wet paper as a mask, absolute genius. 

I've had that idea, but not yet actually tested it.  I'm honestly not sure if I'm clever, or just a thief, since I can't remember the origin of the thought!  Knowing me, I'd do it on water-soluble paint and mess the whole thing up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the positive comments, all. It's okay but not my finest work but this time I think I'm able to blame the kit to some extent! It'll look stunning next to the Macchi MB326H i did over 30 years ago that was brush-painted before I had any real skills...

Last bit of tidying up done. Realised I'd missed a couple of small decals and completely missed the wash on the port flap/speedbrake wells and the nose undercarriage well, so I did them today.

52011949734_db90134e59_b.jpg

Now I just need to wat for the paint to dry and I can coat it in Future and add the last couple of items (wheels, canopy, canopy antenna and the exhaust pipe. Probably next weekend at this rate. Thanks for sticking with me!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...