Folding helicopter blades

On 02/02/2020 at 20:45, andyf117 said:

spacer.png

Interesting to see the red warning paint on the rotor blades for the lock pin holes and the non-composite blades with the indicator caps (I forget the correct name for these, they were before my time) similar to the Wessex blades. 

3 hours ago, Air Hockey Propellers said:

Wow, an Apache on shipboard use? Those blades don't fold in any way. But those Apaches are obviously not Navy so I guess they're not stored on board. I did see the article of the Chinook being stowed in HMS Queen Elizabeth but that was a one time thing I guess. And there seem to be rumors that the US wants the Marines to adopt the Chinook instead of the 53s at the detriment of the Marine's lift capacity... Also, I now understand that the Chinook blades fold but manually.

The Apaches embarked during Op Ellamy, so they were stored on board for some weeks (if memory serves - time period might be amiss but they definitely went to sea). 

And as for Chinook blades, I'm pretty confident in saying that not all of them have the ability to fold. I can't speak for every variant worldwide (not many people could!) but I have checked with several friends who work on the aircraft and they assure me that blade folding is not an option on 'their' airframes. 

8 hours ago, Rickoshea52 said:

Interesting to see the red warning paint on the rotor blades for the lock pin holes and the non-composite blades with the indicator caps (I forget the correct name for these, they were before my time) similar to the Wessex blades. 

BIMs - blade integrity monitors; exactly the same system as for the Wessex - inert gas under pressure inside the main spar, so if the spar developed a crack the gas would leak and the BIM change colour.  Still had them when I first flew Sea Kings - can’t remember exactly when we changed to composite blades.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

BIMs - blade integrity monitors; exactly the same system as for the Wessex - inert gas under pressure inside the main spar, so if the spar developed a crack the gas would leak and the BIM change colour.  Still had them when I first flew Sea Kings - can’t remember exactly when we changed to composite blades.

772 were the last squadron with metal blades ....hence on det to Manston we had a duff blade.We wandered over to the Crab SAR flight and they laughed us out of the AMCO 😬🤣 that was the back end of 91

Edited by junglierating
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, junglierating said:

🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬 blinking RAF you must be joking shipmate....they offloaded them to the ROYAL NAVY .Blinking cheek@$#%$

Thank you for adding the same comment that was made 15000 times above in the thread.

On 2/1/2020 at 7:13 PM, NorthBayKid said:

The USAF's helicopters did not have folding blades.  No need for the extra complexity (as if helicopters aren't complex enough already!) and weight.

Don't know why I forgot them previously, but suddenly remembered that the MH-60G fleet has folding blades (and horizontal stabiliser too):

spacer.png

spacer.png

Like the MH-53J, there is of course a large degree of compatability with the Navy's versions...

Edited by andyf117

• 3 months later...
On 5/11/2020 at 9:31 AM, WhirlybirdModels said:

You seem to be confused with your helicopter types. You are talking about the Boeing AH-64,  we are talking about the Westland WAH-64. This is the British version that was developed to be operated from carriers. As such it has bigger engines, de-icing systems and a folding main rotor and tail pylon.

The UK Apache AH Mk 1 does not have a folding tail pylon, nor does any other Apache variant!

Actually the UK Apache was not designed to go on board ship at all but someone decided to put them on board many years later ....kinda works but defo not designed for the job....dry joints not really conjucive to maritime environment. I believe they now use jointing compound for a/c embarking...been 10 years since I spannered on apache at Wattisham. So maybe a little out of date

• Like 1

Hmm can only get the first two pages but ive no doubt you are correct....blinking expensive contract though ....i think the story went you could buy direct from vendor and give everyone at AWH a million each ....probably not that much but element of truth🤔😀Still the thought was there to help out the UK war factory .

Still a blinking good aircraft and looking forward to seeing the E's.