New range of amazing 1:72 airliner models

wow, 1/2 price if you order now. I shouldn't be getting one but it is tempting. To bad it doesn't have the gravel kit, but I guess that's easy enough to make. What's the difference of the Adv. version?

If you hunt down the BPK 737 model, the gravel kit is included with that one. If you'd like I'll check if it's in all releases or in the Canadian North release so you know which one to look for.

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat

2 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

If you hunt down the BPK 737 model, the gravel kit is included with that one. If you'd like I'll check if it's in all releases or in the Canadian North release so you know which one to look for.

Jeff

sure, would be good to know.

The 737-200 ADV has slightly different fairing between the engine and the wing. Also, older versions of 737-100/200 featured blow in doors on their JT8D engines. Later variants didn't need them so they are absent.

The very earliest 737-100/200s had short jet pipes/thrust reverser fairings. Later models had these extended and all the early aircraft off the line were retro-fitted.

• Thanks 1

To report back about the BPK 737 gravel kit, the T-43 variant has the forward nosewheel gravel deflector included. My other boxes aren't readily at hand but I'm sure the Canadian Northern release has the kit too.

Jeff

1 hour ago, LostCosmonauts said:

As they seem to be 3d printing that should be as straightforward as just printing at 50% 

You'd think so, but it's not, at least for the smaller details as printer resolution may not reproduce these correctly when reduced.

Scaling up from a 1/144 model to 1/72 should work ok, but then some details may look simplified/basic or greatly exagerated on the larger model whilst acceptable on the smaller one.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

You'd think so, but it's not, at least for the smaller details as printer resolution may not reproduce these correctly when reduced.

Scaling up from a 1/144 model to 1/72 should work ok, but then some details may look simplified/basic or greatly exagerated on the larger model whilst acceptable on the smaller one.

I’ve found scaling down really straightforward. Scaling up has been more of an issue in my experience to-date. Changing the print settings to print thin walls and parts even when they go below minimum printer resolution has worked well. Once they’re down at that size any loss of detail or blobbiness is so small as to be all but invisible. Scaling up I’ve seen issues or compromises that were invisible at 1/144 become deal breakers

Edited by LostCosmonauts

Looks likely from the renders and description of their other services. The smoothness will depend on their printer type and how fast they run it but the resin photocuring printers are normally pretty good surface finish and resolution. If they’re casting moulds from a print they’ll likely do a bit of finessing and surface finishing to the master

-edit- If you click through to their gofundme page they are doing 3D design and printing but also mention moulds so there may be a combination of either vacform or using 3d prints to make tooling for poured resin or injection moulds 

Edited by LostCosmonauts

9 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

This is 3d printed? wonder how smooth the surface will be.

So I have been in touch with the gentleman behind this amazing work.  His name is Neil and he’s very nice.  He appears to be going completely high end on everything.  He said the resin castings will be as smooth and perfect as any injection molded kit, and he’s using a light weight, very strong resin that behaves very much like styrene (and has little to no shrinkage problems).  For the detail bits he is using the latest generation of 3D printer that lays down layers 5 microns (1/200 of a millimeter) thick.  That is several times thinner than the thinnest human hair.

He has plans to release a 737-200 with the gravel kit (no need to rob the BPK), as well as a non-advanced -200 with the earlier style engine nacelles, as *well* as a version with the original short nacelles!  There will also be a dedicated -200C release with the cargo door.

He said he has many other plans in the works, beyond the 737-300 already announced.  

I’m super excited about this.  His CAD images are simply stunning, and he really appears to know what he’s doing, both from the standpoint of CAD design and when it comes to the nitty-gritty details of the aircraft he’s working on.  From what I can see he has absolutely nailed the shapes of the classic, characteristic Boeing “face” on the 737.  

His goal is the keep the price of these models as reasonable as possible, and given the amount of detail and the accuracy, I’d say he is going to give you very good value for money.

If this keeps up, there'll be more 1/72 737s than the real ones between this, BPK and Welsh. Now i have to hold onto money for house renos, dam. Want to make a -200 in Canadian Airlines colours and CP Air. Air Canada had some to, most forget that.

7 hours ago, NorthBayKid said:

lays down layers 5 microns (1/200 of a millimeter) thick

Interesting, did he say what machines he is using at all? As I understand it without going to machines costing many thousands of £ the normal x-y resolution is ~150-180 microns and down to maybe 25 microns in the Y-axis but going as low as that must come at a cost in printing time & difficulty. 

5 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Interesting, did he say what machines he is using at all? As I understand it without going to machines costing many thousands of £ the normal x-y resolution is ~150-180 microns and down to maybe 25 microns in the Y-axis but going as low as that must come at a cost in printing time & difficulty. 

Think the Elgoo Pro, which is a sub <£500 printer has an XY resolusion of 47 microns, and layer height of potentially as little as 10 microns.  

He could be using the Moai, that does 5 micron layers and is <$1200 

https://peopoly.net/products/moai

We are looking at getting the Moais bigger brother, the Phenom, sometime this spring! 

5 microns is all well and good, but with the average persons maximum visual acuity being around 89 microns at 20cm, i doubt you'll need to ever push it that high. Plus if you think its 6-10 seconds per layer to cure, and your doing 5 micron layers, that 200 layers to make a mm, 2000 layers to make 1cm -  1cm build height = 3-5hrs  - thats being incredibly conservative, as you havent factored the bed moving up and down, so i would think the real number would be around be easily twice that.

I wonder if he plans to print some masters (or molds) then vacumn cast the production copies. Otherwise i see some long lead times on the horizon! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

I wonder if he plans to print some masters (or molds) then vacumn cast the production copies. Otherwise i see some long lead times on the horizon! 

Yes.  He's using the high end printer to master things that others have done in PE like pitot tubes.  Which makes me happy, since of all the aircraft I have flown in my 50+ years as a stick actuator, I have yet to see one that has a flat pitot tube!

• 3 weeks later...

Heard from Neil a few days ago.  He has his first production parts in hand and is prepping them.  He will be posting some updates soon.  As with all projects like this, it’s taking longer (and undoubtedly costing more) than originally anticipated.