1/48 - Grunau Baby IIb/Nord 1300 by Special Hobby - released - new boxing

Homebee

Sprue

Source: http://www.specialhobby.net/2020/01/norimberk-den-2.html

IMG-2645.jpg

Considering the Grunau Baby IIb is already available in 1/48th by another manufacturer (link), I would have preferred a post-war Schneider/Grunau Baby III in the same scale.

Schleicher-Grunau-Baby-III-PL37-34936458

Here a GB III as operated by the Belgian Air Cadets.

http://www.belgian-wings.be/Webpages/Navigator/Photos/MilltaryPics/post_ww2/Schleicher DFS 108-66 Grunau Baby IIII/Schleicher Grunau Baby III Forntpage.htm

http://belmilac.wikifoundry.com/page/Schleicher+Grunau+Baby+III

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Mu17 said:

The photo (as captioned) is a Grunau Baby III which is slightly different to the wartime IIb, especially the abbreviated skid, enclosed canopy and the cockpit surround.

Paul (glider nerd)

Quite right Paul.

The fuselage was extensively redesigned with a much straighter lower longeron and a deeper keel.  Not as pretty as the 11b in my opinion.

Chris.

12 hours ago, Mu17 said:

The photo (as captioned) is a Grunau Baby III which is slightly different to the wartime IIb, especially the abbreviated skid, enclosed canopy and the cockpit surround.

Paul (glider nerd)

I'm sure Homebee knows that. That was the reason he put the picture up: to show the difference, and suggest that the so far unmodelled III would be a more sensible announcement. Personally I'd have liked something completely different from the era, a Habicht series or a Kranich or a Minimoa perhaps. Or even a T-21B, which would surely be a good seller in vintage glider terms.

I'm very happy with my 1/48 Fly kit of the IIb, but I'm sure Special Hobby will do a good job too.

Certainly a nice injection moulded 1/48 Kranich would be nice (I restored one)  but we are well catered with Habichts.

The most noticeable gap even in 1/72 is the Mu13 which was around in some numbers.

It would be exciting to see models of some of the high performance one-off's built by the Akafliegs  that were a prominent feature of the 1930's Rhon competitions.

Paul

• 2 months later...

Hi Blabber mouth - the Plant Kranich is resin rather than injected - it could also be better - I know the Kranich intimately having restored  a full scale one.

My point is simply that duplication seems such a waste and surely can't help profits .

Anyway nuff said.

Paul

• 1 month later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Grunau Baby IIb/Nord 1300 by Special Hobby - released - PE set by Brengun
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Grunau Baby IIb/Nord 1300 by Special Hobby - released - new boxing in 2023
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Grunau Baby IIb/Nord 1300 by Special Hobby - released - new boxing