HMS Ithuriel 1/700 I-Class IBG

Thanks Fellas

Appreciate the support and comments :winkgrin:

15 hours ago, Courageous said:

:ditto:. She looks great, nice to what can be achieved on these little ships.

Care to explain you simple but effective sea base?

Stuart

Hi Stuart

I'm getting lazy in my old age and I was after a simple and quick method to display.  When I have more time I'm going to try resin as per Kosatas Katseas.

The method is directly lifted from Chris Flodberg who along with Kostas Katseas and Jim baumann seem to be the seascape Gurus

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=158909&p=651903#p651903

I use "Bockingford paper Extra rough 140gm" which is dimpled and textured and frankly on it's own passes muster.   I sprayed that (RLM 75),  then use Liquitex "Gloss Medium and Varnish" and with the brush (as in the pic) "dapple" on gloss medium as per the Chris Flodberg direction.  Do this over several sesssions, then when you are sufficiently rippled, give the whole base a further continouse layer of Gloss medium and after it's dry apply several coats of Liquitex "High Gloss Varnish".  I knocked this out really quickly as a "test" piece but stuck with it.

DSCF9037

I've done a couple more base boards using different wake patterns - I've decided the simpler the better - the wake is just a Vallejo light pastel green.  I've mounted the paper on a couple of "test" Daler boards which seem to be increasingly hard to get hold of.

The plan was to build a couple of Tamiya Z class destroyers for practice prior to HMS Penelope, but they are actually pretty crude.  We'll see.  I'm clearing old unfinished builds at the moment so there's another AFV and a U-boat to finish at some point.

DSCF9038

As to the Splinter mats by the way - I hope the RFI pics above highlight them more clearly.  Ned feels that Ithuriel did not have mats on the deck edges and I think he's right, so i got that bit wrong.  Rather they were ?metal ??canvas strips.

Rob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2020 at 10:08 AM, robgizlu said:

Thanks Fellas

Appreciate the support and comments :winkgrin:

Hi Stuart

I'm getting lazy in my old age and I was after a simple and quick method to display.  When I have more time I'm going to try resin as per Kosatas Katseas.

The method is directly lifted from Chris Flodberg who along with Kostas Katseas and Jim baumann seem to be the seascape Gurus

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=158909&p=651903#p651903

I use "Bockingford paper Extra rough 140gm" which is dimpled and textured and frankly on it's own passes muster.   I sprayed that (RLM 75),  then use Liquitex "Gloss Medium and Varnish" and with the brush (as in the pic) "dapple" on gloss medium as per the Chris Flodberg direction.  Do this over several sesssions, then when you are sufficiently rippled, give the whole base a further continouse layer of Gloss medium and after it's dry apply several coats of Liquitex "High Gloss Varnish".  I knocked this out really quickly as a "test" piece but stuck with it.

DSCF9037

I've done a couple more base boards using different wake patterns - I've decided the simpler the better - the wake is just a Vallejo light pastel green.  I've mounted the paper on a couple of "test" Daler boards which seem to be increasingly hard to get hold of.

The plan was to build a couple of Tamiya Z class destroyers for practice prior to HMS Penelope, but they are actually pretty crude.  We'll see.  I'm clearing old unfinished builds at the moment so there's another AFV and a U-boat to finish at some point.

DSCF9038

As to the Splinter mats by the way - I hope the RFI pics above highlight them more clearly.  Ned feels that Ithuriel did not have mats on the deck edges and I think he's right, so i got that bit wrong.  Rather they were ?metal ??canvas strips.

Rob

Ah!

I have been looking for such a simple and understated technique for two 1/700 ship models that I have recently built..one being IJNS Chokai and the other being HMS Glowworm.

Thank you and Chris Flodberg.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent work. I like the clean finish you've achieved. It displays how nice these kits look. Must try one and hope it turns out better than an old Pit Road O class I seem to remember making about 30 years ago. Thank you for a great share.

• Thanks 1

Entirely missed this Rob, and the WIP. Lovely result. I'm easing myself back (after 45 plus years) into 1/700, but it's challenging - eyes mostly! 

I'll spend some time retro studying (is that a real phrase?) the WIP.

Thanks for sharing.

Terry

• Thanks 1