Airfix Hawker Typhoon 1b

MPaul

So this is going to be my first build back after a 5 to 6 year hiatus due to health issues. 

spacer.png

It will be an OOB build and I imagine progress will be fairly slow as I Re learn techniques and the best way of working that suits me. 

I am not going to get too hung up on details, as long as it comes out looking like a Tiffy I will be happy.  Will be brush painted with a mix of Tamiya, Revell and Humbrol acrylics. 

• Like 1

So I did make a start on this today. First mistake I forgot to wash the sprues. When I tried to begin to paint, it wouldn't stay on for love nor money. So quick wash and try again. 

Really haven't done much at all, just some interior sections. Following the instructions although I am sure the inside of the radiator intake should be camo and not interior green. But at this scale it probably won't show up much anyway. 

spacer.png

Did one of these last year. It’s a lovely kit but I made a meal out of the nose area and had to do a bit of filling, also the decals were a bit thick and needed a bit of work to stay stuck. With hindsight I’d have painted on the invasion stripes.

Edited by Marklo

My first kit after a 30+ year break too, and I made a proper **** of it!

Got two more in the stash and I'm doing a SMER Tempest mkV right now, 

Keep us posted with progress and I'll show you my appalling attempt as a measure of how good you are.

Lol, I wouldn't be comparing my abilities, they are nothing to brag about that's for sure. But am enjoying it, though I have definitely lost the knack. 

Interior sort of coming along, dirty grimy and worn. Certainly not accurate colours I would think, but its all going to disappear once the fuselage is joined anyway. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

Pedals and control column

spacer.png

And instrument panel.  The decal for this seemed really thick. 10 minutes in warm water and it still didn't want to come away from the backing. I am hoping this isn't how all the decals are going to be. 

Used some microsol to help but it ended up sitting a bit skew whiff, and with the thickness of it wasn't easy to manipulate and get sitting right. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

On my Airfix Hurricane, I just cut the instrument panel decal carefully from the sheet, then glued that to the plastic panel. I was going to go over the white edge of the decal with a black Sharpie marker, but guess what old git forgot to do that before he put inside the fuselage!

49460512861_9f2c65ba2e_o.jpg

49460085038_759f653fcb_b.jpg

Hopefully, it won't be noticeable when the canopy is on.

Chris

• Like 1

So my putty arrived today, have never used this before 

spacer.png

So will try this on the model tomorrow and see how it turns out. 

Hve to admit I am still not feeling the love again for modelling, but I may just need to get that first one complete and it see the end results. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 2