Harrier paint finishes

I'm on a bit of a Harrier build buzz at the moment with a Falklands GR3, an anniversary T4N and a late GR9 as one of the RN liveried members of the joint Harrier force, again in an anniversary scheme all on the bench.  Theyre all quite far on and are painted and the transfers going on, with the GR3 fully decal'd up. 

resized_c2692cd8-0955-4fa7-8b61-b4857f73

i know the GR3 has a matt finish, which is clear in lots of photos. However, what about the other 2? I suspect that they wouldn't be matt but would a Gloss or satin finish be more appropriate? Or are they matt?  Also the Hasegawa instructions suggest Medium Sea Grey for the GR9 and that's what I've used. I've now got the panics that it might be camouflage (Barley) Grey instead. 

Any advice from the Harrier experts out there? Thanks. 

Edited by 825

The harrier sig has a good downloadable pdf with harrier colours.  Either MSG overall or dark sea grey with dark camouflage grey for the GR9. They also recommend  suitable paints.

Edited by kingcanberra
Add info
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kingcanberra said:

The harrier sig has a good downloadable pdf with harrier colours.  Either MSG overall or dark sea grey with dark camouflage grey for the GR9. They also recommend  suitable paints.

Thanks KC, looks like I'm OK on colours. Now just Ned to get the finish right. I'll have a look at the Harrier SIG site and see what I can glean. 

A Falklands GR3 would be semi gloss or matt, so I'd go for a satin or a matt finish. The T4N would probably be matt, and the GR9 would definitely be matt (albeit with a glossy tail as the disbandment schemes were applied shortly before the aircraft was withdrawn from service).

• Like 1

GR3 Falklands period - Matt DG/DSG.

T4N - Satin DSG.

GR9 - Matt. Whether MSG overall or DSG/DCG depending on the airframe serial you make and when.

Please note intake interior colours are as follows:

GR3 - Starboard side - DG all the way back to the blades; Port side DSG all the way back to the blades.

T4N - Matt Light Aircraft Grey all the way back, the DSG overlaps the lips into the intake.

GR9 - Matt white all the way back. 

Intake paint usually gets a very matt finish and can be quite dirty due to the airflow; best to check photos.

Who said Harriers were easy?!

Please contact me if you need info on specific airframes of any Mark.

Cheers

Edited by NG899
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, NG899 said:

GR3 Falklands period - Matt DG/DSG.

T4N - Satin DSG.

GR9 - Matt. Whether MSG overall or DSG/DCG depending on the airframe serial you make and when.

Please note intake interior colours are as follows:

GR3 - Starboard side - DG all the way back to the blades; Port side DSG all the way back to the blades.

T4N - Matt Light Aircraft Grey all the way back, the DSG overlaps the lips into the intake.

GR9 - Matt white all the way back. 

Intake paint usually gets a very matt finish and can be quite dirty due to the airflow; best to check photos.

Who said Harriers were easy?!

Please contact me if you need info on specific airframes of any Mark.

Cheers

Thanks Nick,  really helpful. I'll need to,double check my intakes now.  They are more complicated than the camouflage schemes almost. I certainly need to do something with the GR3 as I did them Light Aircraft Grey.