RAF Brize Norton..... Museum?

Adam Poultney

Just spotted this on Facebook:

59c0204b7cd77e8a1b23cb07c1439153.jpgCould this be the mirical needed to save the last Blackburn Beverly and RAF Marham's Handley Page Victor? 

facebook.com/BrizeAviationMuseum/

facebook.com/CartertonTC/photos/a.266800167317518/486195128711353/?type=3&source=48

And a questionnaire they have put out

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe0Ieud74zjjK2ng8Ff7o5WQ300zA0TGIp2umMffykoRLjm_w/viewform?usp=send_form

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ive filled out the questionnaire. Could be a good idea, but i wonder where funds would come from to undertake this?

Also your links to Facebook are all mobile, meaning on pc they come out bizzare - to make them back to normal just delete the "https://m." bit off the front so its just a "facebook.com/xxxxxx" link.

An ideal place for large transport aircraft to find a home. 

• Like 2

Apologies, but when I see a survey that can't even spell there (*their) correctly it sets a level of expectation to me and I'd question the capability behind such an endeavour. I do hope, of course, I am quite mistaken.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2020 at 1:25 PM, Kushan_Farsight said:

Ive filled out the questionnaire. Could be a good idea, but i wonder where funds would come from to undertake this?

Agreed. Excellent idea but, I wonder if any enthusiasm for such a project might wane when the thorny issue of paying for it arises.

I cannot see the MOD funding it. They are too busy wasting our money on hugely expensive vanity projects.

If I were cynical, I'd suggest years of wrangling over who was going to pay for it, to the extent of everybody losing interest and, the whole issue being dropped

That seems to be the British way. Masses of enthusiasm for the concept but, somewhat less enthusiasm when it comes to paying for it.

Cynicism aside, I have completed the questionnaire. I think the best site would be on base. Be great for giving a chance to also view airfield operations.

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

A great idea in principle but possibly a few years too late. Had this museum been conceived back in around 2013, it might have been possible to gather together examples of some of the RAF 'heavies' that were then leaving service - VC10, Tristar, C130K etc. Not sure what types they would attract now even if the dream became a reality.

Mark

• Like 2

Great idea, let's hope it's a success! With the RAF seemingly getting smaller by the month and showing little inclination to preserve its more recent heritage, there need to be as many of these museums as possible.

• 3 weeks later...

Having spent two terms at Brize as a `Pongo' I would love this to happen,..... pity it is too late to save one of the older RAF Herk`s which have all left Brize now along with the VC-10 & Tristar,..... the Assault Glider Trusts Horsa glider  would have been ideal too considering that Brize was an operational and training station fo the type in WW2.

A `transport force' museum is just what the RAFM need and Brize would seem the perfect location considering its role. Long term it would need a large building,.... but volunteer wise the local area has many retired RAF types who I am sure would be only too glad to help.

Thanks for the heads up,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Lots of jets at Bruntigthorpe looking for a new home.  Maybe this would be the answer.

Can't see how anyone, and certainly not the RAF, would have funding to transport aircraft of the size of a VC10 or Tristar to Brize. When you think that the costs of relocating the Marham Victor were so prohibitive, I don't get a good feeling for the long term survival of the larger exhibits at Bruntingthorpe.