Snapped micro drill bit; stuck!!

ProjeKtWEREWOLF

I snapped a tiny pcb drill bit while trying to make the aerial attachment hole bigger in a tamiya chieftain mk5. Dammit. 

The first hole went fine, but the second snapped flush. I can't reach the inside and now it is stuck. Any ideas what to do? 

it depends upon luck and what size the bit was; I have a trick which CAN sometimes work, by possibly pushing the bit through, if indeed your broken bit had broken through. if it hadn't then you might be scuppered.  drilling a horrible hole alongside it then carving the broken bit out then re-filling the mess, but it'll be horrible to do.

so, if the bit HAD broken through you might try a tiny homemade punch; take a piece of Bowden cable (like a bit of bike brake cable, or meter sealing wire if you work in my industry!).  carefully peel away all the outer strands and you will be left with a straight length of hardened steel cable.  cut off a short length and chuck it in a pin vice so only a tiny bit protrudes, and dress the end you cut to make it clean.  if the broken bit broke through you MIGHT be able to push, or punch it through.  if nothing else this thin steel 'rod' is great for making splints in broken undercarriage legs and many other things.

very best of luck, although I don't think this WILL work, it might, it has for me   JD

• Like 1

Well. It's out. I had to remove the raised detail where the aerial is inserted. I will have to sculpt *something* to replace it. 

@modelmaker I tried the wire thing but it failed, so I used a bigger carbide drill bit. Made me sad. Thanks for the advice. 

• 2 weeks later...