The Silver Spitfire, G-IRTY

robstopper

The AZ models 1/72 scale kit of G-IRTY, the 'Silver Spitfire', is back in stock, and I'm thinking of getting one.

What would peoples recommendations be for a brush-applied polished aluminium paint be? I don't have an airbrush. As she's rocking a bare, polished aluminium finish, she looks fantastic and unique.

https://images.app.goo.gl/o33fVCXedExBGodaA

Apologies for not actually answering the question, but al alternative thought. Given that what you are trying to replicate is not the usual natural metal look but that very rare thing, a genuinely mirror-polished aeroplane, and that you're not an airbrush user, I think there is a strong argument for using the shiniest grade of Bare Metal Foil, panel by panel. Not hard to do, especially if you practice on something from the spares box.

• Like 1

If I were building the same model, I'd be tempted to use one of the Tamiya spray cans.  I've been very impressed with how thin they go on, preserving detail underneath.  I would probably start with their fine white primer, also in a spray can, then use their AS-12 Bare Metal silver spray.  I'm pretty sure that's also the color they recommend for the underside of their new Spitfire Mk. I.

9 minutes ago, Clifton said:

I'm pretty sure that's also the color they recommend for the underside of their new Spitfire Mk. I.

The difference is that the Mk.1a they're modelling is relatively flat (doped) aluminium - it wouldn't do well to bling your way over the Channel, there's a war on you know ;)

Edited by alt-92
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Clifton said:

If I were building the same model, I'd be tempted to use one of the Tamiya spray cans.  I've been very impressed with how thin they go on, preserving detail underneath.  I would probably start with their fine white primer, also in a spray can, then use their AS-12 Bare Metal silver spray.  I'm pretty sure that's also the color they recommend for the underside of their new Spitfire Mk. I.

As @alt-92 says, AS-12 is not shiny enough. I’d start with TS-17 Gloss Aluminum. It’s much better but not a mirror finish. 

Tim

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Greenshirt said:

As @alt-92 says, AS-12 is not shiny enough. I’d start with TS-17 Gloss Aluminum. It’s much better but not a mirror finish. 

Tim

Ah, yes!  Good advice, Tim.  I forgot he was looking for a shinier finish.  I think you're right about the Gloss Aluminum.  I must say I've been impressed with the qualities of their spray paints.

I agree you can never have too many Spitfire (or Seafire!) kits.  One variant that I would love to see is the "Speed Spitfire."  I think only one prototype was completed.  It looks like an air racer with its aerodynamic canopy and sporty paint job.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, robstopper said:

Had looked at AK Xtreme metal paints, but they're out of stock at modelhobbies

Xtreme Metal and True Metal are different products, True Metal is probably better if you don't have an airbrush because you can just rub it on with a cloth. Also I wouldn't recommened using Model Hobbies. There are good sellers out there that have it available like - https://www.snmstuff.co.uk/product-category/ak-interactive/ak-interactive-ak-interactive-oils/