1/72 - Saab JAS 39 Gripen by Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) (plastic Italeri) - released

Homebee

In 2020 Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) is to rebox the 1/72nd Italeri Saab JAS 39 Gripen kits.

Source: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235010228-kpaz-central-discussion-questions-answers/&do=findComment&comment=3565762

- ref. KPM0161 - Saab JAS 39C Gripen "International"

- ref. KPM0162 - Saab JAS 39 Gripen "Over Sweden"

Box art

JAS39.jpg

Source: https://www.facebook.com/208070375871052/photos/a.208144655863624/3050767308267997/

83886995-3050767311601330-11158746285400

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg&key=454549e46694cda5ab5f

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Homebee said:

In 2020 Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) is to rebox the 1/72nd Italeri Saab JAS 39 Gripen kits.

To do this, create the section "Aftermarket decals ....with some useless sprue in addition"!

😁

B.R.

Serge

• Haha 8

3 hours ago, Fulcrum@ said:

for the Gripen/Viggen, the aircraft never flew

It is correct that it was painted this way after it was retired from service, but the aircraft flew at least once. There are a number of air-to-air-photos of it. 

spacer.png

More: http://ipmsgoteborg.swedishforum.se/t3029p125-italeri-148-scale-jas-39a-splinter-gripen-39131

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

It's all good except for the fact that Italeri released a kit of pre production Gripen over 25 years ago...

And pretty uncommon case when a short run manufacturer repacks a mainstream kit. I know Eduard doing this with Hasegawa kits but in that case they give some own goodies, add a nice decal sheet. And I do not recall other examples really. 

Edited by Dennis_C

19 minutes ago, Dennis_C said:

It's all good except for the fact that Italeri released a kit of pre production Gripen over 25 years ago...

At the same time, Italeri has some errors in the fuselage geometry, which are not critical, but visually you will see the difference between the Italeri and Revel models located next to each other.

Therefore,  why do we need KP/Italeri if not a decal + KitKat sprue???

😁😁

...but maybe  instead of the KitKat sprue

will be Czech beer

sprue and pork shank sprue???

Then it will be a bestseller among the Gripen of all times and scales !!!!

😉😁😁😁

B.R.

Serge

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Fulcrum@ said:

for the Gripen/Viggen, the aircraft never flew

Doesn't invalidate the choice of subject though. There are numerous kits of aircraft that "never flew" . I'd hope there would be some sort of mask included for that scheme!😊

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

3 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

I'd hope there would be some sort of mask included for that scheme!😊

I think I just figured out what is on that extra sprue.

A flat brush and a roll of masking tape.

:coat:

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

Hmmm, some paprika goulash with palinka or tokai bottle sprue would be good option too!

🤔

Good choice for Gripen Hungary AF version!!! 👍

The main thing is that they would not put in Swed AF box  Surströmming* sprue!!! 

😉😁😁

B.R.

Serge

*-  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surströmming

Edited by Aardvark

18 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

And pretty uncommon case when a short run manufacturer repacks a mainstream kit. I know Eduard doing this with Hasegawa kits but in that case they give some own goodies, add a nice decal sheet. And I do not recall other examples really. 

AZ/KP today are not really a short run manufacturer anymore and several of their kits are now made using "long run" production techniques. I'm not an expert on the Czech market but my understanding is that they have moved to get a more "mainstream" presence, for which adding kits from others to the catalogue can make sense.

Interestingly these same Italeri kits used to be available in that Country under the Bilek name, wonder if AZ  just took over the agreement from Bilek

15 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Doesn't invalidate the choice of subject though. There are numerous kits of aircraft that "never flew" . I'd hope there would be some sort of mask included for that scheme!😊

Allan

...and once again, this very aircraft actually flew. :)

• Like 1

I'm a self confessed novice when it comes to the Gripen, however my recent dip into researching this aircraft suggests that the Italeri JAS 39A sprues would need to be modified to replicate a Gripen in foreign service, as they all purchased the 'C' model or later. The overall differences are fairly minor, however is this just down to adding a refuelling receptical and some different wheels? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

The overall differences are fairly minor, however is this just down to adding a refuelling receptical and some different wheels? 

Another form of starter exhaust, some differences in the  panel line.

B.R.

Serge

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Bjorn said:

...and once again, this very aircraft actually flew. :)

Hi Bjorn! 

Yes,,I know it actually flew!  Should have made that clear in my comment. My bad!😊.

It's a very attractive colour scheme too. So much nicer than the drab,dull,totally boring grey service finish!

Allan

• Like 2

I don´t know why KP (AZ) re-box old Italeri mould.... Revell was better (but not great...) and most accurate representation of "C" (CZAF) version.... And in history was Italeri re-packed with another czech company - Bilek.

Expected in late February 2020

- ref. KPM0161 - Saab JAS 39C Gripen "International"

Source: https://www.kovozavody.cz/produkt/jas-39-gripen/

KPM0161-box.jpg

KPM0161-kamo.jpg

- ref. KPM0162 - Saab JAS 39 Gripen "Over Sweden 

Source: https://www.kovozavody.cz/produkt/jas-39-gripen-in-swedish-service/

KPM0162-box.jpg

KPM0162-kamo.jpg

V.P.

• 10 months later...

I have this kit, just thought I’d point out the decal sheet is pretty much all you get that’s different from the standard Italeri kit, it’s not exactly extensive and pretty badly printed! 

• Thanks 2