OK already the once again enjoyable Bristle Bilvedere

perdu

• 2 weeks later...

I got some IPA into the dried up old jar of Tamiya Silver and laid down a coat or two, horrid too, but then again the jar was over forty years old.

So Monday arrived, then Tuesday and I risked a ride to Mike's Models under the reduced conrestrictions for a jar of silver along with Midnight blue and vermilion for the S-61N.

Halted at the vestibule in a perspex box whilst he went off to seek my requirements, safe yes but very restrictive.

A coat of it sprayed on, same result.

Feels as if I sprayed on a coat of sandpaper, must wet the mix and lower the pressure.

Anyway while waiting for Bill to do that I started one of the fiddly little 'put off 'til later jobs

P1010661.jpg

P1010662.jpg

There needs to be seven of these little guard rails, one down...

Now where were we?

Here?

P1010664.jpg

No of course not, we ain't doing a Frogegawa Lightning in here

But if we was this is the airbrakes being glued in with PPP so I can get a better closed up fuselage, smooth and tidy see.

A huge problem is that somewhere on my very tidy workbench I have lost one of its belly strakes and since I know I have a Novo one in the stash I could snaffle one from the Novo box.

Unfortunately whilst unearthing that I came across this again, temptation is rearing its beautiful head again (What?  you don't like temptation? 'Samatter with you?)

P1010666.jpg

All the resin is there and I do have an Airfix F3 to play with in another cupboard...

But I won't want to do that, I have this.

P1010667.jpg

This

P1010669.jpg

This

P1010670.jpg

And lots of parts for these too

P1010671.jpg

Far too much to do Lightnings too.  :)

• Like 14

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Come on Dear Colleague !!

A burner will be a good idea !!

Let's rock at Mach 2 !!

CC

Agreed, plus I almost finished mine... :rofl: :rofl: No seriously, it's near the end, so time for a changeover... :D

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Haha 2

We'll have to give it a bit of a think but the Bilvedere needs to go one completed shelf (into a box really with the Wokka maybe)

OK in fact there is no space for shelves full of models...

I do have pictures somewhere of some of the interior work I did on the Lightning to get jet pipes and intake details

If I can find them I will pop 'em on here.

Possibly.

• Like 6

One down (up?) and one to go at the front.

P1010673.jpg

Five do...UP and two to go at the back.

P1010674.jpg

Tell you what, without Ced B and Crisp WAAFU and other interventions this would not be this advanced, arise Sir Pixnor!

Champion tweezers of all tweezers.

Those wire inserts are of seventy or eighty year old 34 S.W.G. tinned copper wire and the Pixnor finely pointed tweezers went to bench level and picked each piece up and allowed me to measure and cut then fit into the hole each one with no 'droppage' at all.

Why am I still waiting to do the final three?

I am not the modeller I used to be and picking them up was straining my eyes, even with my Optivisor.

Tomorrow (TODAY) is another day, I will do it this afternoon.

Ciao.

• Like 16

I have just used mine again, Optivisor at the ready too.

A front shield in and the other replaced just to be tidy see.

P1010680.jpg

This image reminds me I need to make a mould to plunge mould a cover and track for the driver's upper door rail too, get on with it Bill

P1010678.jpg

All seven rather obtrusive little wire grills, hoping they will recede as the grey (or green, unsure which airframe this will be yet) paint covers the airframe but at least now they are in replacing a single one (or even two) will be relatively simple.

I have to admit it, I really cannot get on with the Alien Overlord's orders to clarify windows with polished superglue.

So the clear chunk of polished plastic had to come out of the cargo door and a piece of jockey shorts box took its place in the annals of Bilvedererery

P1010676.jpg

This, as they say is the way to do it, squawk!

P1010677.jpg

Now I had better look for a thick piece of plastic to carve the window rail surround buck from.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5wsrIYzprqvsMhNnTDFp

• Like 11

10 hours ago, perdu said:

So the clear chunk of polished plastic had to come out of the cargo door and a piece of jockey shorts box took its place in the annals of Bilvedererery

I must say that the use of the words “jockey shorts” and “annals” in the same sentence is somewhat disturbing.

AW

• Haha 6

My dear old (or even young) chap,  ‘‘tis wonderful to see your most excellent progress on the big B. Very much inspired by your attention to detail and your ability to find clever, nay innovative, solutions to insurmountable opportunities.

You minor digression into the world of the Lightning and your quest for pure silver, prompts me to cough gently from the back of the bar (cue panic amongst the regulars) and softly wonder if you have tried Gunze SM01?

I am using it on a Lightning I have in progress (see da connection?) and it produces a most pleasing result even in the hands of a rank armourchewer such as myself.

• Thanks 1

"disturbing"? 

Hmm, I suppose whatever boats your float but as they say Christmas is for canopies.

I would be far more disturbed if Christmas didn't add to my supply of mouldable skinny acetate in box or carton format.

This is of course why...

P1010682.jpg

I need to make the rather complex shape which surrounds the first pilot's opening windoor here

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5wsrIYzprqvsMhNnTDFp

The thick plasticard has ben sihrsc-ed to the shape we need and will be having fun with shorts acetate this morning when I descend into the unseasonably cold garage.  Brrrr.  :(

To enable enough 'lift' a piece of thick card goes on behind to stiffen the sinews and let slip the gods of vacforming.

P1010683.jpg

I will pop a couple of these out to allow for losses, breakages and breakdowns.

Don sirrah, if I may call thee Don I have not tried that paint you recommend but as we are locked out of our model shops effectively by the inability to wander the aisles and pick what we like the silver I have seems to be the only silver I'm getting for a while yet.

Thanks for the info, however, consider it filed safely whilst I scope out Gunze online sales.

My local guy does not stock that I fear.

The Lightning is to be Dark Sea Grey and Camo Grey, and silver will be low pressure, open tin and hand brush style, the way I know how to use it.

The Bilvedere is about to receive a thin layer of Tamiya TS-(might be)79, the semi gloss varnish as an experiment to see if the silver takes away its sandpaper feel..

Laters guys and gals, the cold comfort garage beckons...

• Like 8

Extensive heavy duty Googlish searches have advised me that Gunze paints are Mr Hobby paints.

Fair enough, him up the road does stock that and so a visit shall be arranged rapidly.

Cheers DonH.

• Like 5

It came to pass that a moulding was taken from the thick plastic buck.

P1010684.jpg

P1010685.jpg Actually three moulds were made to play with so I could try to work out a good way to fit a trimmed skin of a corner moulding.

Not a very easy game and wrecked mouldings were made.

Then I decided to treat the wind screening fairing like the actual windows and cut it away after painting is done

So on with the stupigoo

And onto the cockpit side.

P1010686.jpg  Ready to trim away later, the mould has now been faired in with extra stuporgoo  and will be trimmed nicely before the paint job is done

Can you see it?

P1010690.jpg

There inside the engine cover mesh?

P1010692.jpg

Just there is my replica Napier Gazelle engine held up with a dollop of brown plasticene and some more stuporgoo (what else)

The whole mesh unit and engine were deemed to be a test fitting, but I might as well glue on the mesh and get on with the one at the back I reckon.

P1010693.jpg

Still much, very much to do but I think this is a bit significant.

That Tamiya Silver has been over sprayed with TS-79 Semi gloss varnish which seems to have settled in the surface, nice and smooth now.

I think I might have a look at the Lightning for a while now, time to make a strake!

• Like 15

Bill please stop making junk!

P1010695.jpg

More to the point, stop hoarding the b things when you finish with them.

If they had been good enough for the models they would have been on them :(

I mentioned the Lightning with only one belly strake didnt I?

This should sort that out quick time.

P1010696.jpg

But, but but there is one bigger than the other...

We will have to see, looks like an elliptical illusion to me

(psst where did I leave the little file?)

• Like 6

While I hunt the file I began removing excess plastic around the window deflector

P1010697.jpg

As usual this is how it is going to be for a while until I can get some momentum on one of these projects.  :(

Reminds me, need to paint a horse's legs blacker...

Don't ask.

• Like 8
  • Confused 1