OK already the once again enjoyable Bristle Bilvedere

perdu

[I just managed to log on to postimages.org (took a couple of goes), upload a picture and see it in a post, so it may be working again.]

That instrument panel (the real one) is shocking! Someone said that British instrument panels were designed  by dropping a box of instruments onto a sheet of metal, then cutting a hole round each one when they stopped rolling around. Looking at that one I can believe it. Your little one captures it perfectly.

[EDIT Pressing the back button to get back to the gallery after my upload gives me "Bad Gateway", so belay that!]

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Someone said that British instrument panels were designed  by dropping a box of instruments onto a sheet of metal, then cutting a hole round each one when they stopped rolling around. Looking at that one I can believe it. Your little one captures it perfectly.

I'd read that about American instrument panel layouts, IIRC it was in a series of articles in Aeroplane Monthly describing how we, the British, arrived at the "Basic Six" layout (ASI/AI/Altimeter/VSI/Heading Indicator/Turn Indicator).  If you look at the F-84 and to some extent the Sabre seemed quite bewildering to someone brought up on the Basic Six.

That said, Bill Waterton, then Gloster's Chief Test Pilot, described British cockpits as "ergonomic slums", it's almost as if the designers had decided "We've given them their Basic Six, now where can we fit everything else"?

Certainly, when I went through trade training and doing my airfields phase on Canberra's and Hunters amongst other aircraft, I got the impression that everything else had just been nailed to the cockpit structure wherever they could fit it.  The Blivverdeerie cockpit certainly looks as though it followed that philosophy.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

[I just managed to log on to postimages.org (took a couple of goes), upload a picture and see it in a post, so it may be working again.]

I just had an email from Postimage, the issue has been fixed it says

Lets we have a play huh

The yaw pedals and the operating structures

Very reduced in scope but my name isn't Cedric, miniaturisation is now officially behind me in the depths of time

Not chasing it down the road at my age  :(

P1010448.jpg

Rest assured there will be dry brushing

Later

See that white structure?

P1010449.jpg

Engine throttles and trim wheels on each end of the throttle pedestal, the engine power gauges are fairly visible in this shot

Make the most of them, I fully expect them to vanish when the whole shebang is painted and closed up

A view of the  throttle controls from the other window (when the  windows are on...)

P1010450.jpg

Colour me happy, Postimg is back and very easy to use

• Like 15

looks like the Postimg issue is really fixed

A question to the house

P1010451.jpg

I toned down the white on the direction finding gauge, relatively happy with that, the question is

In the AP wot I got the ip and coaming sits of course in the window of the bubble and below it sits a bubble shaped panel which must close it off from below

Obviously made of metal it has various devices mounted above it, within the ip and cowling area but no pictures taken inside museums show he panel anywhere

Shall I model to the AP or to the museum piece?

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

Beginning the process of making the original buck good enough to make reasonable canopies from.

This was the original version, Milliput all over the shop but scruffy

15784293395958534119837624013114.jpg

Although this was good enough to produce the practising-on shots there is much to do before I can get a decent deep draw on the moulding

Now I have added 0.160" to the back

This will allow the plastic to draw smoothly past the 'true shape' and allow a decent finish

Here I have filled the creases and crevices at  the back of the buck with Humbrol filler which is certain to be stronger in use than PPP

15853244482824434766821690634030.jpg

Newly resmoothed over ready for the vacformer tomorrow

15853245051232257889727923084032.jpg

A wee bit fadey grey but the general scheme of things shows how much smoother the vacforms will be

Now I am off to do some more cockpit controlly stuff

laters folks

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

I'm not seeing any of your pics from the last 3 posts Bill, just big grey squares!

Ian

Has your interweb thingy got a viru....

How about this?

s-l400.jpg

Look what just popped into a general 1/72 photoetch search I just began

handy huh?

From what I remember Mike saying the grey square thingy can occur if you have a slow connection

Let us know when you get a better one

or not

• Like 3

Same thing, big grey squares. If I click on them and "open in a new tab" they take forever to open too

ian

EDIT - since I clicked on one of them and opened it in a new window, now they have all appeared in the post. Very odd!

Edited by limeypilot
  • Confused 2

As I say, once I opened one of them in a separate window, they all appeared, and still do. No idea why but it's all working fine now Must have been something at my end!

Ian

• Like 3

1 hour ago, perdu said:

the grey square thingy can occur if you have a slow connection

If postimage.org is running a bit funny then it will take some time to load the images after the page has come up, so I guess that's what it shows until/unless it gets the picture.

Regards,

Adrian (trying to finish a document but BORED!! so browsing britmodeller...)

PS - if you get the canopy to vacform in one piece without webbing I will be asking who you sold your soul to (and would they like to buy another one)

PPS - or "to whom"??

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

PS - if you get the canopy to vacform in one piece without webbing I will be asking who you sold your soul to (and would they like to buy another one)

May as well offer a third soul while we're at it.

Bravura buck-building Bill! 👏

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Reckon you need one of these Bill to check calibration and everything working OK:

Test-Card.jpg

But, but, but...

Clowns

No-o-o not clowns...

Gentlemen, now abed?

I am sure that if I had the Fritacedritony vac monster it would suck down marvellously

Tomorrow I test my equivalation to the limit

• Like 4

5 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

PPS - or "to whom"??

I struck lucky. A friend gave me a couple of vacform canopies in exchange for a kiss from Mrs Martian and no selling of souls was required. Well, in fairness, he was given the choice between a kiss from me or Mrs Martian. :kissing2:Thankfully, he chose Mrs Martian! Can't think why?

Spurned of Mars 👽

• Haha 7
  • Sad 1