OK already the once again enjoyable Bristle Bilvedere

perdu

12 hours ago, CedB said:

Well Tomo, that's going to have the sewage workers fretting over badly broken sewers I'll warrant… "Ere George, where 'ave all these leaves comes from?" :D 

Sewage workers?

What you mean Willis?

If Tom is going to grow them for us it is surely incumbent upon us to enrich his own compost heap for him.

I know where he grows these things...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have new information re: the Belvedere

I now have access to many diagrams and such which tell me I am on the right track with the engines and the other ancillaries

If I survive curfew we may have a decent Belvedere to look at

May have, it isn't a given...

I have been plodding on after enjoying the files in my dropbox

PPP on the upper area round the oil cooler fairings

P1010421.jpg

Also in shot the new tail planes cut out ready for filing and trimming

The morrow promises to be busy, thank gods for purdah

(not)

The underside has been fitted with new fairings which now need, you guessed it, filing

P1010422.jpg

OK and ho hum...

'til the morrow.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Bill, what he means is yer fixed-wing stuff is rubbish...

Ta Crisp, that will keep me off the Naval subjects closest to your heart

Mind you I was never going to built fifty blo*** Swordfishes any way

Or a 'cuda even though I always check out the resto at Yeovilton on the Air Day (any chance you will be at the Air Day this year should it by good fortune go ahead?)

And in other thinking I do not like the under fuselage ribs, they may have to come off, today is decision day

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, perdu said:

Ta Crisp, that will keep me off the Naval subjects closest to your heart

You tell him Bill!

Naval Aviators, especially the whirly heads, what are they like!

Terry

• Haha 4

Terry, I find aviators (of any stripe) to be generally amongst the finest denizens of this planet, wont have a word said agin 'em any of 'em

(but between ye and I let it be known, I know what you mean)

This was never intended to become a marathon from the beginning, put  right a minor glitch then merrily get on with something Airfixy from more recent times and climes

But it is beginning to look like the only marathon anyone is likely to get this year isnt it?

I present the replacement triangular bottom fairing under construction

Due to the oddball ovality of the under fuselage a simple chunk of thick plasticard filed to shape just didnt work for me

Filing a sihrsc groove big enough to let it sit low on the body just didnt work, lawd knows I tried so now I am building it up/down in sections

P1010423.jpg

Two ribs along the centreline first then sheet in the flat sides

Then taking a chance with my life and Tamiya Thin add sheets to the triangular section to make a flattened pyramid

P1010425.jpg

The angled rear panel will be added last, first the Tamiya Green can have a while setting

In the mean time

Same again with the shorter pyramidic fairing

P1010426.jpg

Sorry about the blurring but Rome's burning tha' knows,  I forgot to get the tripod out

• Like 15

18 hours ago, perdu said:

I have new information re: the Belvedere

I now have access to many diagrams and such which tell me I am on the right track with the engines and the other ancillaries

Is that material classified, or can any of us blokes get a copy?

• Like 1

It has classified on it

I got it from a geezer, back of the pub ;)

Much of it is not much help except just for love of structures, I might be able to get one or two onto a .jpg if you need one or two

Hit me with a target if there is anything essential I can do

I intend using it and hope to be able to translate the images for the screen for us

• Like 2

9 hours ago, perdu said:

Mind you I was never going to built fifty blo*** Swordfishes any way

Oi we'll have none of that kind of talk. Just a couple will do.

Bilvedere coming along nicely. I hope you kept the obligatory safe distance of one metre (1.09361 yards) apart when you procured those classified diagrams from that geezer at the back of the pub.

• Like 2

I think the exclusion zone had not yet been initiated Tom

Phew, dodged the bullet there

As for the nautical, I won't be doing anything from the Green and Brown period*

As you know I much prefer hot air jets and whizzy wings so Crisp is welcome to the more classic era

*for information only when I define an item as green and brown I refer to the entire pre-fifties aviation era

And for further clarity I am all ww2ed out, I spent years building spithurri190109s and I just don't want any more!

• Like 2

Having come, nefariously perhaps, up with info on the better to be observed model-able things in the engine area pictures have alighted of the engine installation for the Bilvedere which I will endeavour to represent

overall1.png

These devices although having exhaust pipes at the top like the Gazelle look almost totally unlike the Gazelle at all, seems the Gazelles were fitted into bespoke tinware heaven sent to avoid modellers getting hairs into twists

Hereby the full monte with, in the centre, the closed up real thing

encasement1.png

Clear as mud huh?

I note that at the bottom, the dirty air in end there is a big mesh filter with chrome coloured retaining rings, had me fooled  :(

intakescreen1.png

I had thought the silver rings I could see inside the covers was the metal at the actual air intake

Now I have better info I will crack on adapting what I have, it should not take long...

• Like 9

Your attention to detail is awl inspiring as always.

Looking forward to more of the same. Keep safe in these difficult times

Roger

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I know we all like to add a bit of detail, but that’s ridiculous!

Stay healthy.

John

John, John I have no intention of adding the airpipes for the winch honest

Plan B up to date is to take a pair of discarded ex-Ced Wheels and turn them to a reasonable facsimile of the large chrome rimmed tubed filter body with dark grey and chrome vallejo acrylics

Stick 'em to the bottom of the engine-alike piece of grey painted pen body

And bung them into the holes with cyano and forget them as they fade into vision behind the mesh screens

Staying healthy is a worthy ambition and I heartily subscribe to it 👍

Had to drive Mrs P to a Nurse appointment this morning so took the opportunity to visit Poundland in the quest for tissue products

They had no toilet roll of course but did have a small stock of the real reason for the visit, kitchen roll which was about to become extinct in the vicinity of our home

They have sensibly imposed a three pack limit on several kinds of stock item, I was pleased to see

(felt ALMOST guilty buying three packs, I expect I was alone in that)

It occurred to me I was fortunate to have bought a litre of IPA just before Christmas which is sitting now in the garage under lock and key for when soap  and hot water supplies fail

That will save me stealing hand cleanser from any hospitals I may be passing...

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, perdu said:

It occurred to me I was fortunate to have bought a litre of IPA 

That's not much, in beer terms.

Oh wait, you meant the other IPA!

Got it! 

Ian

• Haha 6

I'm not a fan of what artisan brewers like to call IPA so I always use my nose before my eyes Adrian, usually sorts out the beer from the industrial strength cleanser

:)

I have, after much beggaring about first, decided never again to attempt what I call structural filler-ing using PPP so I hacked out all the PPP at the tail pylon junction and mixed up a scandalously little dollop of Milliput

The Welsh wonder soon made short work of the junction, the tailplane fillets (kit tail planes are way too skinny) and fitting the tailplane extensions to the new tailplanes

I feel a bit better now about the back end, there will be reshaping to come whilst the Milli is still uncured

P1010427.jpg

The replacement Gazelle filters and engines are coming along nicely too

• Like 12

I have to agree re the PPP. It doesn't work well for large and/or structural areas and is best kept for the small, unfileable areas!

Ian

• Like 1

Its a bit crazy round here too Johnny

But within the setting of a world gone mad I have been doing this in little bite sized bits

The 30° fin offset has been produced and the tailplane fillets extended to allow for placing the new larger tailplanes onboard

P1010428.jpg

And from the other side

P1010429.jpg

Much of the work around the tail end has been reduced to a few small tasks now

P1010430.jpg

Fillet extensions and fin top fairing modified to suit the new configuration

And at the front end preparations under way to add the pairs of yaw pedals, four curved brackets will be sticking out of the front bulkhead soon

This afternoon's little task-let

Fill the holes with curved brackets

P1010432.jpg

Next thing will be make instrument panels, then find decals for the instruments...

• Like 15

Superb Bill.

Quick comparison - your build my piccies:

2 hours ago, perdu said:

P1010428.jpg

IMG-5412.jpg

2 hours ago, perdu said:

And from the other side

P1010429.jpg

IMG-5414.jpg

Pretty damned good I'd see. Keep it up ~Bill. Lovin' this build.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1