OK already the once again enjoyable Bristle Bilvedere

perdu

Tap-tap-tap... every time.  It’s a muscle memory.  But I’m fairly sure that the computer then automatically “corrects” it to the ellipse character anyway.  So you’re both right.

• Thanks 1

Paint makes a difference, huh?

P1010319.jpg

A natural inference is that I have a bulkhead in 'not quite the right' position here.

:(

Seat frames are mounted between adjacent pairs of ribs judging by the excellent pictures put up by @bootneck so that it would be logical not to have spare rib positions without seat locations.

There are said to be eighteen personnel in a full load which might mean ten seats down the port side where the hole for the door isnt and eight down the starboard side

Now with the best will in the world I am not going to allow potential seat counters to spoil my fun here

Ten seats to port will allow unused locations, well why not there is already an anomalous seat in the first three isn't there?

So oddball spaces and 'stated but not shown' seats down the right hand side

There will be a few near the door, the dark hole down the back will remain dark

Seats MAY be put in there...

Geddit?

And for giggles up on the green cutting board, the loadie's deckchair begins...

• Like 6

2 hours ago, perdu said:

There are said to be eighteen personnel in a full load which might mean ten seats down the port side where the hole for the door isnt and eight down the starboard side

Here you go Bill, 

This diagram shows the arrangements for cargo, troop carrying, air-casevac and internal long-range fuel tanks.

spacer.png

cheers

Mike

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

And blimey, my guesses were not so far off either

P1010322.jpg

The missing ones starboard side were intended to be missing, down in the darkened 'ole

I have taken two from the back, port side and filled the spaces at the front by the door

and after I finish the deck chair and final polish the windows I am going to close it up

Bootneck inspired progress huh

Cheers

• Like 12

8 hours ago, perdu said:

A philosophical question for all the type-writers out here

Ellipsises

This version from the character bank  … … … ?

Or the traditional hit stop three times method  ... ... ...?

?

(This question arises from a discussion with the touch typist in the family, shared thoughts might help)

Ellipsis: Three spaced dots. Period.

(Speaking as a former newspaper editor and book editor for Squadron/Signal Publications.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

Ellipsis: Three spaced dots. Period.

Quite agree, however the character map from Microsoft spaces the dots automatically but takes up less space

I have been wondering why they would bother?

1 minute ago, perdu said:

Quite agree, however the character map from Microsoft spaces the dots automatically but takes up less space

I have been wondering why they would bother?

Microsoft does it because they can. The Mac ellipsis command may do the same. I dunno. I never measured it. The spacing of the dots may vary according to the program and font in which it is used. A proportional font will automatically adjust. And most page layout programs (PageMaker, QuarkXPress, InDesign, etc.) and graphic design programs (Illustrator, Corel) allow for adjustment of kerning (character spacing) in order to make the text fit the available space or look better.

• Like 1

Right fine OK

No sorry not you lot just a carry over in my head (dodgy place to lurk by the way) about stuff

Anyway, time for interior additions

Look please

b30.JPG

The fixtures above the seats, does anyone believe there is even the slightest chance they would have diagonal shoulder straps fitted to some of them?

I cannot convince myself so unless the jury delivers a response tonight it is going to be lap belts only for the brown jobs

I have been racking my memories for colours of seat belts in the sixties, my first flight was courtesy of 8AEF at Shawbury in '62

This was not a difficult thing to remember, whitey grey for the chute with a 'twist before hitting it' latch and blue with a simple twist latch for the seat belt

This is understood but in August '62 my ATC sqn were at RAF Colerne for summer camp and very long duration flights in HP Hastingses

I have a vague memory of odd lap belts in grey fabric with square lift to release latches, does this jibe with anyone else's knowledge of the times

I am not sure whether the helicopter pax would get 'twist to release' blue belts or something less exotic

[WILL THE COLLECTIVE VOTE NOW]

Grey almost airliney or blue definitely RAF crew belts?  [  ]    [  ]

b29.JPG

I was not going to but now am, fit the upper channel up in the ceiling but no way am I fitting ninety five ribs across the roof

The channel will fill the eye enough me reckons

P1010323.jpg

One or two seats to adjust and a few more bits to hang on the walls but this is basically awaiting YOUR input please

Will the loadie have belts?

Must do mustn't he?

• Like 12

36 minutes ago, perdu said:

I was not going to but now am, fit the upper channel up in the ceiling but no way am I fitting ninety five ribs across the roof

Why not?

Martian the Mischievous 👽 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Wasn't the crash during a practice display for the '61 Farnborough SBAC Show because the troops weren't strapped in, and tumbled to the rear of the cabin during a steep approach flare, thereby causing loss of control due to sudden CoG shift? Some injuries as a result, but none serious, fortunately...

spacer.png

Edited by andyf117
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, andyf117 said:

spacer.png

Ouch.  That’s not good.  Main rotor blade decidedly adjacent to unyielding earth stuff.  Never seen that picture before.  [Some smokin’ fashions on display, too].

I’d be amazed if a helicopter of that vintage had more than lap belts, Bill.  Standard blue lap straps with the circular black latch thingy, as per Wessex, Sea King, and no doubt “many many more” [apologies for sounding like a Ronco advert].

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I think I will go withyour suggestion Crisp even if it means lots of work for me before shutting the halves

:)

I was peering through my photo files (seeking flare pistol boxes on helicopter walls, i.e. on the rear wall of the Wessex cabin) when my scrolling eye noticed  this one

Ah I thought, look it is one from Hendie's fabulous 1/48 scale Wessex

https://i.postimg.cc/wT5D0DZf/0141287.jpg

Turns out that it wasn't but the casual eye was fooled

Sorry it HAS to be a link but rules is rules and in this case very fair ones

Anyway, the hunt for the flare pistol in its box continues

There's one there somewhere or I wouldnt know about it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, perdu said:

There are no obvious attachments on the seats or the airframe for straps after all

Perhaps I will add the flare pistol rack and close her up

Hi Bill,

Those attachment points above the seats are to hold the seats vertical when folded up.

Each seat had a turn-release waist strap, similar to the Wessex belts.

The crewman had a turn-release waist strap;  plus a standalone harness belt (with I think three loop through fastening straps) which was connected to a long canvas strap that fitted to the opposite (port) bulkhead.

I haven't found the flare pistol rack yet but I'm still searching for that detail.

I shall dig out more tantalising snippets and post some images for you, so don't seal her up yet!!

cheers,

Mike

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Anyway I did find this in my Wessex archive

top left of screen a pistol in a black holster with a press stud retainer

Light metal pistol visible inside said holder

5826643894-d03f5a030e.jpg

Should I expect much different in the Belvedere?

• Like 2