OK already the once again enjoyable Bristle Bilvedere

perdu

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Anyway now, with the exception of a couple of unobtainable images from the article I have that saved, thank you

Might be worth going back for another look Bill, page 6 thumbnail wasn't showing, till I clicked on the blank & it showed up full size. I've down loaded them (thanks Mark @lasermonkey ) but also dived into ebay & bought the mag, SAM Oct 1982, aircraft in detail the Harvard/T-6, WITH decals. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

One tends to suspect that this is one of those designs that the RAF had foisted upon it whether it wanted it or not.

That seemed to happen frequently "back in the day",give them the prototype/late pre-production machines and let them develop it.

• Like 3

I think it was more the fact that the MoD (all branches thereof) knew that there was something in this helicopter malarkey, but early helicopters did not live up to the theoretical billing (to put it mildly).  Though the Belvedere, Sioux, Whirlwind, Skeeter and the like did much to pioneer Brit rotary-wing ops, they were never going to get past the fundamental problem: pre-turbine helos were under-powered - sometimes chronically so.  The power-to-weight ratio was incredibly marginal once the transmission was factored in, especially in hot / high conditions.

Practical small jets (late Whirlies, Huey, Wessex, Scout/Wasp, Alouette...) changed the game completely, but I think all nations went through their Belvedere stage, or equivalent.  See also the Bell HSL-1, of which the RN had incredibly high hopes, but which proved to be a dog.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, perdu said:

But at the present I can only proceed some of  the way without finding a volunteer who can pop in to The Helicopter museum

Hi Bill,

I have a few internal views of the Belvedere at the museum, I'll dig them out and send them to you.  I work at the museum on Thursdays and will check the rear end for you next time I go there.   In the meantime, check out the views of another Belvedere we have at the museum.

Work on the Belvedere stopped about three years ago, I think the resident expert on this airframe retired.  The other volunteers are currently working on the restoration of an H-21 Flying Banana and re-furbishing the Royal Flight Whirlwind.

spacer.png

spacer.png

cheers

Mike

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Great to see this as I like the Belvedere and old Airfix kits, what's not to like!

I think the kit itself was based on the Bristol 192 prototype, which might explain some of the differences that you have encountered, but have seen these built into good looking models. 

Great idea molding a new nose transparency and I think smoothing the rivets in this case is a good idea Bill.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Methinks @perdu has already been behind the bar. This is probably not a kit to be approached when sober. I seem to remember that it is not the in service version?

But rather a late prototype?

It is based on a prototype and needs the rear stabilizers modifying. However the engine intakes under the fuselage are correct for an early service version and can be left as is if one does not want to do the later deep, mesh intakes.

Martian 👽

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bootneck said:

I have a few internal views of the Belvedere at the museum, I'll dig them out and send them to you.  I work at the museum on Thursdays and will check the rear end for you next time I go there.

Thank you Mike, I hoped you might pick up on my very blatant begging

The first picture you posted has already been vastly helpful, now I know there is a bulkhead behind the engine box, it is a start and anything else you can help me with will be very welcome

Martian and Pete this model is most probably going to be XG474, I sort of committed myself to making her over several sessions wandering round Hendon

I know there are changes to the structure coming, working out which methods to use as I type

A picture of the first mould off the cockpit buck and the new side window bucks too

These will be used to make the windows next time I  go to set up the vac machinery

P1010232.jpg

Lookit ma, no nose joint

Next picture is for fun

Look at the size of them there wheels against the Aviation News plans

bad focus alert, sorry

P1010233.jpg

Ah look Ced crew figures

;)

• Like 17

If there is beer here, I'd like to fall in as well...................... I'm a confirmed helicopter nut, so I 'should' fit in somewhere in the back row.......................... this looks like fun.................

• Like 1

Crafty Fox on the ale pump tonight, ABK Hell on the pilsner pump

Grab one and join in

Joining in is an essential, ideas, songs or even "Dont do it THAT WAY!"

Welcome, any helicopter person or jettist or flier fan, bugger it anyone is persona grata in a perdu thread

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, perdu said:

I will be working on an inner structure draft drawing which it may be possible to turn into a photoetch inner wall  piece

or perhaps even a printed part (or parts)?

sorry for being late to the party Bill.  Had man-sickness yesterday and slept for 11 hours straight when I got home.  It's lunchtime and I just finished my home made bridie so I'm rarin' to go now.

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, fatalbert said:

Excellent, may i join the party,would you be willing to sell a couple of your nose vacform transparacies ?🙂

Neil

you might want to ask for a couple of Belvedere vac forms as well.  Dunno if Bills nose would suit you

• Haha 7

Page 2, sorry Dear colleague !!

That one is also promising, may I take a seat ?

If I bring on some beer, no one will do something....

So, I'll try to stay quiet...

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, perdu said:

ABK Hell on the pilsner pump

Makes me suffer from ground resonance. 

CC, There is a beer on sale over here that's made in Belgium called Snuffles. It's for dogs!

Nice transparency @perdu Impressive stuff to one who's never had a go at that sort of thing. Me for instance.

I dunno, Matey, fifty odd years modelling and what have I learnt?

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, perdu said:

Neil, two?

Pete I've been at it ( cue the fnaars) for over sixty and there's tons of stuff I've not tried yet too

Tomo I know full well the dog wasn't even in the same room...

Hmmff

I have one thats stalled at the moment, i have tried vac forming one  with less than satisfactory results,i have been looking out for the rare as hens teeth Maintrack canopy set but to no avail.i also have a second unstarted one as i would like one in camouflage  and one in silver and white.knowing intimately what this kit is like,i look forward to seeing what you do with it.🙂

• Like 3