OK already the once again enjoyable Bristle Bilvedere

perdu

Apropos of nothing, I'm fairly sure the van carrying the intel officer is the same type as that used by the RAF Regiment in Remembrance of the Daleks. I am a sophisticated gentleman with much to contribute here, oh yes.

• Haha 15

3 hours ago, Wez said:

Found this film on yoochoob courtesy of Joluqamalta

What a superb bit of film, thanks for posting.

Really does show how many types were in service and the niche role that they each performed.

Great bit of sound aswel, that JoLuqa does put up some good stuff.

Must have been something else operating in those conditions.

4 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I wonder how much power margin that Whirly had in those conditions...

Very marginal at best I'd say especially up country.

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

Really does show how many types were in service and the niche role that they each performed.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there, let's face it, the Hastings and Beverly were ultimately replaced by one type that did the same job so much better - the Hercules, the same can be argued for many other types.

5 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

That film is fab - but talk about a different world!  

I wonder how much power margin that Whirly had in those conditions...

As it was a Gnome engined one I 'spect it was a bit handier than the rotary engined version though

I have to say the Gnome Whirlys are my absolute faves, must get one built soon

After the S-61N, Wokka and Bilvedere are done natch...

And oh bugger, I've an old Sikorsky Flying Crane needs returning

My future looks mainly rotarian these days...

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, perdu said:

As it was a Gnome engined one I 'spect it was a bit handier than the rotary engined version though

Yes.  But still only one Gnome, and operating in very hot & high conditions without any of the aerodynamic improvements afforded by modern rotor blades etc.  I'll lay you money it was wheezing a tad if you loaded it up!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Yes.  But still only one Gnome, and operating in very hot & high conditions without any of the aerodynamic improvements afforded by modern rotor blades etc.  I'll lay you money it was wheezing a tad if you loaded it up!

I do quite agree, simply comparing it with the real old 'wheezers'

Ah that list of rotaries I have to complete, forgot to mention the Lynx and the Dragonfly I have in the stash

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, perdu said:

The Gnome obviously had a lot less mass than the old rotary engines but I'm inclined to agree with @Ex-FAAWAFU on this...

54 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

...the Gnome bless it, didn't have a lot in the way of guts to it, there was a reason why they fitted two to the dear old Walter!

Edited by Wez
spelling, grammar and frankly, because the English language deserves better!
  • Like 2

On 02/02/2020 at 09:03, perdu said:

Excellent!

We await…

We'll see Bill. It all comes down to whether my cunning plan for forming the mesh areas works or ends up being consigned to the "Leave for Baldrick" tray.

Martian 👽

20 hours ago, perdu said:

17 hours ago, Wez said:

The Gnome obviously had a lot less mass than the old rotary engines but I'm inclined to agree with @Ex-FAAWAFU on this...

....radial, even Bristols/Westlands weren't that old fashioned to fit something like a Bentley rotary engine to their most dangerous of aerial carriages 😂

sorry, I'm still laughing at @Biggles87s reference!:tumbleweed:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Pardon me, I am apologise for my stupidity

Hmm maybe rotary would have worked, stick one on the roof of the jollychopter and let rip with great big soddoff blades bolted to the crankcase

:nono:

Nah OK I was just daft

And forgetful, as time goes by you may see more of this stuff as I forgets lots more

:(

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Sorry Bill, it's a very quiet afternoon here at Saints air tragic, couldn't resist a bit of fun.

The thought of one of these Bristol twins with two engines bolted in by their prop shafts is something else though, init😲

How's the old girl progressing?  Must be enjoyable working on a kit as old as its subject material?!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 71chally said:

....radial, even Bristols/Westlands weren't that old fashioned to fit something like a Bentley rotary engine to their most dangerous of aerial carriages 

Doh!  Of course radial engines, just goes to show the power of autosuggestion! :doh:

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

Sorry Bill, it's a very quiet afternoon here at Saints air tragic, couldn't resist a bit of fun.

The thought of one of these Bristol twins with two engines bolted in by their prop shafts is something else though, init😲

How's the old girl progressing?  Must be enjoyable working on a kit as old as its subject material?!

Hmm I might probably forgive you , t'ain't as if I was even close is it?

:(

I'm enjoying the kit, not so much the photography, Win  10 hates my photos and even though I have altered some of the preferences I still have pictures flying round my stupiverse any old where they feel like it

I am kinda detailing the innards and trimming the enlarged tail pylon

P1010250.jpg

This is the front wall of the cabin, coming along

and here the higher pylon ready for its close up next week some time after the halves of the fuselage are together

P1010251.jpg

As you no doubt see the rivets are no more on the pylon  :) 

Soon to be the story everywhere

And working on the coal hole between sanity and avpin tanks, there isnt an actual exit from the cockpit to the back more a large access hatch behind the codriver with as previously noted a black curtain keeping the draught in

This will be the modified HOLE IN THE WALL

P1010252.jpg

This is how far I am now, much more to do but there is still a Chinook to finish soon

Ciao

• Like 18

Some of you may not have experienced  the fear and terror that follows our Alien Overlord around, tremble when you read that title

He really imposes upon the landscape whenever he descends from his pinnacle into the world of men

Even the likes of @general melchett have been know to don the underpants of surrender in his presence (at least I think that was what happened...) 🙀

Anyway, apropos of all that a little more of the innards has been sketched out in polystyrene

P1010254.jpg

Here the tunnel has been lightly sketched in, what you see now will be well minimised by the time there is stuff in that cockpit so I intend dribbling a little colour on the walls and forgetting the rest

And further back the front wall has been lightly sketched out too, there will be cockpit grey green

and a seat

and a box on the wall, up high

P1010253.jpg

A floor to the tunnel follows and the cabin floor will be imposed inside there and more seats made, not thankfully in as great a number as the dear little Wokka

laters, it is Steak Night soon

• Like 15

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Some of you may not have experienced  the fear and terror that follows our Alien Overlord around, tremble when you read that title

He really imposes upon the landscape whenever he descends from his pinnacle into the world of men

Even the likes of @general melchett have been know to don the underpants of surrender in his presence (at least I think that was what happened...) 🙀

Don the underpants of surrender, or just have to change underpants after experiencing the terror? :oops:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

oooohh that's looking very nice Bill.  That last shot looking into the fuselage has some lovely visual interest which no doubt will become even lovelier as the build advances.

S'a weird aircraft. It's almost as if they had completed 99% of the design and then popped their head in the door and asked "you remembered to make room for the drivers didn't you?"

"Of course" was the response.

"Prints will be ready tomorrow lunchtime"

door closes.

"hey... does anyone know if we have an ergonomics guy?"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

Ah, just caught up with this...through eight pages of chit chat!  I have one of these 'on the go' and helped with the kind donation from my good friend Mike McEvoy of the very rare Maintrack Belvedere HC.1 resin conversion set, which includes a vac-formed nose and new tailplanes. I have heard rumours that someone is working on a new 1/72 Belvedere kit (Micro Mir, Valom perhaps?) so perhaps all this work will be superceded!  It's typical that when you do all the hard work improving and converting an old kit, a new one comes along!

Re the work being stopped on the Belvedere at the Weston-Super-Mare museum. I am told that this is partly due to the anticipated move of XG454 from the Manchester Air & Space Museum to the Heli Museum...providing they can get it out!   

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

Looking good Bill. Any further thoughts about the rivets? (serious question not a wind up). Will you attempt to re-establish them somehow following removal?

Negatory good buddy

We saw that the rivet lines are visible but the flattish domed rivets themselves are lost in the paintwork

I may run the rivettator wheel onto the lines in places but mostly not

Even on my set of pictures the rivets vanish on camo machines

It must be nice to have the Maintrack set to play with Adrian, sorry if the pages of waffle took some getting past

Kinda par for the course here as I try to engage with the crew as well as the model, so waffling is de rigeur entre nous

😀

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, perdu said:

Negatory good buddy

We saw that the rivet lines are visible but the flattish domed rivets themselves are lost in the paintwork

I may run the rivettator wheel onto the lines in places but mostly not

Even on my set of pictures the rivets vanish on camo machines

Yep the best option geezer, both realistically and sanity wise. I think a combination of not being too over zealous sanding wise in places, and the aforementioned occasional rivettator doings in others will leave a realistic impression of rivets, without it looking like it has succumbed to some sort of alien golf ball virus - our friendly resident Martian's germs notwithstanding...

• Haha 2