OK already the once again enjoyable Bristle Bilvedere

perdu

I don't think we will have too long to wait for a semblance of normality to arrive soon Tom, even at my present glacial rate of progress there will be a couple of models hoping to find a safe space underneath twenty of Shaun's behemoths on a table near Longbridge soon

Probably.

I am hoping for three but two is a possible.

And a very tiny Avro Cierva perhaps...

???

Anyway, the glacier proceeds slowly albeit the signs of real progress take a bit of searching.

P1010025.jpg

What is new you may well ask?

Driver and his buddy now have their doors for egress and reluctantly ingress.

Wheels grace the tarmac (Brown cardboard here)  :(

The red rotating beacon sits atop the fuselage.

And I have discovered happily that my four bottles of Alclad have not gone bad in the bottle. The jetpipes have had light mistings of Light Burnt Metal, Steel, Exhaust Manifold and Shiny Aluminium which have been thankfully durable enough not to fall off just by being looked at and I cannot make that claim for Modelair paints can I?

So yes the jetpipes are on, at deliberately irregular angles as per the real things.

That seems to be intended to prevent a permanent stream of gas down onto personnel using the aeroplane but I often spend hours speculating the infinitive...

I know as, they say, nozzingz!

And on the distaff side we have.

P1010028.jpg

Dammit!

Invisible within the bright light from the flash is a VHF mast made by stretching the odd length of Aeroclub/Contrail styrene strut material I found in my 'Bits' drawer, it gently tapered into the mast section I was needing for the front mast, the intermediate masts were rescued from a Matchbox Wessex and now all three await a marathon sprue stretch sesh to make the aerial wires to add.

The flattened resin wheels need a tad of paint on the flats first as does making the SACRU unit and adding a few other antennae

This will now vanish whilst the odds and sods get put together with a ladder, which is part made awaiting me feeling a lot stronger, not sure yet whether I need a nine or eight runger?

Thoughts?

Oh yes and the upper faces of the rotors are Green although they have photographed grey, that seems to be because they need a better spray job...

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Looking very nice indeed. However, it seems to be missing a stencil; namely, the one that reads "WARNING: This machine is a helicopter. It is inherently designed to fling itself to pieces in mid-air."

• Haha 5

That stencil is attached to the sides of each Jesus nut but to be honest it just does not photograph well at all Mike.

Some other stuff got looked at:

The Cargo Release Hook (AP47654321765321 refers) has been scratch built.

Three times in receding order, the first little thing ended up looking mahoosive, the next iteration was OK-ish if a tad bulky looking

And got reduced again to make this one

P1010045.jpg

Too much flash

P1010046.jpg

Not enough 'focussed'

Beggarit!

P1010047.jpg

Blimey how hard can it be to show a small unit with a wash (a first for me at 72½...)

Looks like the first one was best after all

P1010045.jpg

The lifeboat castings need straps and a stencil for ditched squaddies to read before they deploy the dinghy pack in a hurry

Yeah like...

They will have some of  the applique wash wiped away of course but that hook unit is so small I would run the risk of it diving into a carpet.

Which would be a good trick on a laminate floor

It is said that somewhere in the West Country sits a guru who has detached hisself from our plane transcendentally

A: I wish he hadn't and

B: he is supposed to take the pee out of this

A fifth feeble attempt at the access ladder

coming along by way of several detours off the planet by way of a kick up the karzee

Ladder 5

P1010049.jpg

Ciao gang

• Like 15

I need an indexing mounted vice in very tiny scale to get all the holes in the right place

0.020" X 0.040" Evergreen drilled across two pieces by 0.03mm drills and 0.03mm Albion Alloys brass tube rungs.

If you are ever daft enough to emulate this idiot

LOOK UPON MY WORKS YE MIGHTY

And giggle

I should'a defraised the cut ends of the Albion brass with fine wet'n'dry to allow the brass to drop tidily into the drilled holes

Should'a, really should'a

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, perdu said:

I need an indexing mounted vice in very tiny scale…

Oooh, a new tool? If you find one Bill let me know :D 

Ladder? Take it one step at a time would be my advice… :coat:

• Haha 10
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, perdu said:

I need an indexing mounted vice in very tiny scale to get all the holes in the right place

0.020" X 0.040" Evergreen drilled across two pieces by 0.03mm drills and 0.03mm Albion Alloys brass tube rungs.

If you are ever daft enough to emulate this idiot

LOOK UPON MY WORKS YE MIGHTY

Looks superb Bill. Don't forget it's magnified.

Tin foil hat in place...what about knocking up a template with pre drilled holes. The clamping the two strips of evergreen to the template and drill away. Appreciate it's easier to type than create, and making the template would be almost as difficult.

• Like 4

Well I finally got it stuck together-ish (always -ish with me lately, I must be getting old...) but what a horrible device it was.

Time to lose that then so I  began... What?

Horrible yes, the rungs kept dropping out of frame which distorted as soon as look at it so I gave up with 'ladder one'

P1010054.jpg

Crap picture of a piece of

plastic and brass bits, NEXT!

I took a look at the actual ladder, mine looked far too flimsy to survive chucking up into or down out of a very tall jellocopter so I examined the picture and made it a big picture.

I got a reasonable amount of fuzziness but reckoned you lot are used to     er    poor pictures from me anyway, so wing it.

P1010052.jpg

Now this IWM image captured a couple of different times on the web show a: the holes down the side that has already been the subject of uncouth and raucous behaviour and which are NOT going to feature on the model ladder.

No Tom no b holes...

and b: the rungs are as broad as the ladder rails so I began a different ladder

P1010050.jpg

A small amount of tweaking will be tweaked

P1010053.jpg

This ladder will be painted Aluminium, get yellow feet and maybe a set of hooks on top to stop it falling off the doorframe

Phew, now what aerials do I need for this machine?

• Like 16

Some of the minor detail now added

Screen wipers

Lifeboats

VHF antennae

Skinny VLS? antennae added

P1010055.jpg

Some tasks remain, these are my usual just before club day morning top offs, nav lights, the SACRU Type thingy needs glueing underneath and the long aerial wires need to be put on but with the 'having to handle it' thing going on this isn't going to happen until I am ready for this at club.

P1010056.jpg
Where it and the Chinook will be overshadowed by my mate's "Whatever massive models S puts on the tables" on the day.

P1010057.jpg

Tom knows (as do Dave and Dean)

It is what it is.  :)

P1010059.jpg

So no more on this for a while, what shall I find to do?

I know, I will do...

• Like 24

12 hours ago, Fritag said:

No ozymandian hubris here

"Ozymandian Hubris" would be a great name for a rock band! "Ladies and gents, put your hands together for Fritag and Ozymandian Hubris!" (crowd roars).

• Haha 4