OK already the once again enjoyable Bristle Bilvedere

perdu

Died!

A huge split all down the upper fuselage, time to have a bit of a think.

Sorry but this very old Airfix granulated kind of plastic just hates sticking together.

Feel very doomy at the mo' 😞

• Sad 13

Ouch. That's a blow. You are right to take some time out for a bit of a think. Had a few similar seemingly disastrous moments myself in this hobby, but walking away and thinking can often give rise to new energy and ideas to retrieve the situation.

Stay calm........

Terry

PS. Beer can help also!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Ouch. That's a blow. You are right to take some time out for a bit of a think. Had a few similar seemingly disastrous moments myself in this hobby, but walking away and thinking can often give rise to new energy and ideas to retrieve the situation.

Stay calm........

Terry

PS. Beer can help also!

Sure Beer Help !!

A lot of help indeed !!

CC

• Haha 3

Hello Bill,

I understand clearly !! I suffered from that same setback with the Skyknight....

I was about to test fly it numerous times...

I'm sure that you will get it sorted !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, perdu said:

Died!

A huge split all down the upper fuselage, time to have a bit of a think.

Sorry but this very old Airfix granulated kind of plastic just hates sticking together.

Try carving a V shaped groove into the split, glue the fuselage back together and then run some CA into the groove. The groove increases the surface area that the glue has to grip the plastic. If you want it extra strong, put some baking soda/bi-carbonate of soda into the groove before adding the CA. This forms an even stronger bond.

Hope some of that helps.

Helpful of Mars 👽

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Funny enough Martian I have just revisited the model with a view to be taking stock.

When I found the split I brought it back from the garage, it was about to enjoy a coat of Dark Green in the garage, I gave it a dose of Tamiya Green Cap and Berna clamped it as a first resort.

I decided to do the very same groove treatment you have just advised.

I will take a little peek after dinner.

I hope not to be too long with a decision.

• Like 7

Oh dear. My Stuka did this to me, strong CA, strong language and ( possibly) strong alcohol ( I’m drinking a rather nice toro loco Merlot atm and it’s definitely changing my perspective) will get you through. ( why oh why did autocorrect put string in three times)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK the first groove treatment is in and the Bi-carb applied as per Martian's instructions.

Blimey bi-carb grabs the supergloo like mad doesn't it?

Phew

I will give it a gentle sanding after dessert...

This is the "After the Berna clamping onTamiya Thin Green Cap" result

15919026960971459908853569183807.jpg

Before the Tamiya hit it the crack was about 3/64" open, scared me I don't mind saying.

And now the bi-carb takes its toll

15919030767768121162489740908739.jpg

Blimey the superglue grabs like lightning, I had best get on with it although I have been having a therapeutic afternoon today.

Trying to colourise the Stencil images that will end up as decals later.

15919023852932265400421492681982.jpg

More to do before I knock off to watch netflix...

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Martian said:

Try carving a V shaped groove into the split, glue the fuselage back together and then run some CA into the groove. The groove increases the surface area that the glue has to grip the plastic. If you want it extra strong, put some baking soda/bi-carbonate of soda into the groove before adding the CA. This forms an even stronger bond.

Hope some of that helps.

Helpful of Mars 👽

I hate to disagree with The Venerable Martian, but it's always better to use a solvent-type cement such as Tamiya Extra Thin to actually (and permanently) bond styrene parts. CA does not tolerate shocks very well, even a small shock which may occur just by setting the model on the workbench.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

I hate to disagree with The Venerable Martian, but it's always better to use a solvent-type cement such as Tamiya Extra Thin to actually (and permanently) bond styrene parts. CA does not tolerate shocks very well, even a small shock which may occur just by setting the model on the workbench.

Sorry Guys, I may not have put things clearly. Glue  the fuselage together in the usual way. yes solvent is best here, then flood the groove with CA. I have just had a look at my Belvedere and see the plastic is quite thin as injection moulded kits go so I would make the groove shallower but wider and go for the baking soda and CA mix. This dries more like a resin and is far less brittle and can even be carved if necessary. I had this issue with an Airfix Trident I was building about ten years ago and I kept gluing the split back together with liquid cement and it kept opening up again despite the fuselage being clamped together while it dried. I tried the grove + CA and baking powder method in desperation and it worked.

Martian 👽

• Like 5

Some paint on as a further discloser coat reveals

P1140481.jpg

Nothing seems to get in far enough to form a mechanical repair, sand and refill... coming along

P1140483.jpg

More work remembered on the antenna base box, fill and file for that coaming.

Some mucking out to do above the cockpit

P1140476.jpg

For tidying up purposes.

P1140480.jpg

I think I am leaving the grills atop the rotor pylon alone now

And virtual Le Mans to watch on ch410, busy day.

Pass the beer someone                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

• Like 9

42 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Would Mr Dissolved Putty work on that seam?

It might, first I intend taking the recently added superglue down with a file and then if it still shows the MDP gets a curtain call

I am quite happy with the Gunze Dark Sea Grey, looks about right and is being added a thin stripe at a time for now.

• Like 3